NRC BEGINS SPECIAL INSPECTION AT TURKEY POINT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT, U.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION Office of Public Affairs, Region II, August 16, 2011:
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff began a special inspection at FPL’s Turkey Point nuclear power plant today to assess the circumstances surrounding the brief loss of the intake cooling water function at one of the plant’s two nuclear units.
On Aug. 11, Turkey Point Unit 3 lost the function of the intake cooling water system for about 20 minutes when an open valve closed and then failed in that closed position. The intake cooling water system provides cooling to important plant equipment. The NRC staff determined that because the failure resulted in the loss of a safety system and because there is also a potential generic concern, a special inspection was appropriate.
The NRC special inspection team is composed of two inspectors from the NRC’s region office in Atlanta as well as an acting resident inspector already at the Turkey Point plant. The team will develop a timeline and review FPL=s response to the event, assess the plant’s ability to meet its design functions, review maintenance and testing performed for the valve, and assess the company’s problem investigation activities.
The on-site portion of the inspection will be completed this week, and a report documenting the results should be issued within 45 days of the completion of the inspection.
h/t Anonymous tip
Published: August 16th, 2011 at 10:23 pm ET
- Sandy “appears to have shifted” islands near NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant — Surge smashed through homes close by — Feds begin special inspection at facility November 13, 2012
- TV: Explosion hits US nuclear plant — Officials declare emergency alert — “Fire shuts down reactor” — Gov’t conducting special investigation, possible “serious safety consequences” — “Atmospheric steam dumps” required (VIDEO) March 23, 2017
- Paper: “Loud bang” heard at nuclear plant near Miami — Feds have yet to determine safety significance of incident August 15, 2011
- NRC: Spent fuel pool cooling lost at NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant during Hurricane Sandy November 2, 2012
- ‘Event’ reported at Ft. Calhoun nuke plant: “Potential flooding issue in the Intake Structure” — “There is one penetration of concern” that could impact water pumps June 17, 2011