Published: August 16th, 2011 at 10:23 pm ET

NRC BEGINS SPECIAL INSPECTION AT TURKEY POINT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT, U.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION Office of Public Affairs, Region II, August 16, 2011:

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff began a special inspection at FPL’s Turkey Point nuclear power plant today to assess the circumstances surrounding the brief loss of the intake cooling water function at one of the plant’s two nuclear units.

On Aug. 11, Turkey Point Unit 3 lost the function of the intake cooling water system for about 20 minutes when an open valve closed and then failed in that closed position. The intake cooling water system provides cooling to important plant equipment. The NRC staff determined that because the failure resulted in the loss of a safety system and because there is also a potential generic concern, a special inspection was appropriate.

The NRC special inspection team is composed of two inspectors from the NRC’s region office in Atlanta as well as an acting resident inspector already at the Turkey Point plant. The team will develop a timeline and review FPL=s response to the event, assess the plant’s ability to meet its design functions, review maintenance and testing performed for the valve, and assess the company’s problem investigation activities.

The on-site portion of the inspection will be completed this week, and a report documenting the results should be issued within 45 days of the completion of the inspection.

h/t Anonymous tip

Published: August 16th, 2011 at 10:23 pm ET

1. Paper: “Loud bang” heard at nuclear plant near Miami — Feds have yet to determine safety significance of incident August 15, 2011
  2. Sandy “appears to have shifted” islands near NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant — Surge smashed through homes close by — Feds begin special inspection at facility November 13, 2012
  3. Emergency declared at Michigan nuke plant: Reactor shut down after leak exceeded plant’s technical specifications — Cooling system spews more than 10 gallons a minute September 19, 2011
  4. Fire knocks out spent fuel cooling at nuclear plant near Omaha — Operating under heightened alert level because of nearby flooding on Missouri River June 10, 2011
  5. Nuclear Engineer: If quake caused weakness at Virginia’s North Anna nuke plant, hurricane could take it rest of way to failure August 27, 2011

29 comments to NRC: ‘Special inspection’ underway at nuclear plant near Miami because of cooling system failure and ‘potential generic concern’

• Jon_NY Jon_NY

Fukushima’s reactors ‘were doomed to fail’

It is one of the mysteries of Japan’s ongoing nuclear crisis: How much damage did the 11 March earthquake inflict on the Fukushima Daiichi reactors before the tsunami hit?

The stakes are high: if the earthquake structurally compromised the plant and the safety of its nuclear fuel, then every similar reactor in Japan may have to be shut down. With almost all of Japan’s 54 reactors either offline (in the case of 35) or scheduled for shutdown by next April, the issue of structural safety looms over any discussion about restarting them.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Like I said…I’ve been gone. The Nuclear are all over this thread…IF your interested. :) :)

• Fall out man!

Good work Whoopie. Its interesting to see that the Shills are “Huff Post Super Users”. I’m not sure what that means, but I suspect it means that with big money to employ full time PR staff they can post all over the place 24/7.

Even if they employ thousands of trolls at least we still have a say on the web (for now at least). So let’s hit them with what hurts!

That’s right… The truth!!!!!!!!!!

• theypoisonus

Whoopie,

I took the link and will save. I do have an account there, from a couple of years ago, have to look up and see ‘who I am ‘ there.

I will stand with you. I HATE shills. But it will have to be tomarrow. too late for me now.

See you there, will make contact in some way, I know you ID there. :)

• nohobear nohobear

Hi Whoopie- I’m in. I abandoned HP when it got bought by AOL and went corporate right wing, but I still have my account active.

I’ll go nuke shill hunting with you there tomorrow.

• larry-andrew-nils

whatever happens here, meltdown or no meltdown, i want to see if the american government can possibly be as bad as the japanese one has been.

(large rant erased due to anti Japanese sentiment.)

i do not want to be angry at someone for this.

i want to be happy and healthy.

i forgive you all.

i love you all. you were born flawed, like i was.

seriously anyways, this is all a dream right?… this life?

• CB CB

‘potential generic concern’ nice downplay with the stupid verbology.

• lam335 lam335

Does anybody know what a “generic concern” means in Nukespeak (any Orwellian echoes are of course intended)?

The dictionary defines generic as
      1. of, applicable to, or referring to all the members of a genus, class, group, or kind; general.
      2. of, pertaining to, or noting a genus, especially in biology.

So does this mean that they suspect it is a problem that characterizes all reactors of the same type as that at Turkey Point?

• Fall out man!

They didn’t label that plant a turkey for nothing!

• NeverAnyDanger

From now on whenever I hear that a “loud bang” or a “big noise” was heard at a nuclear power plant I know that there’s already something to hide.
    The wording is their first attempt to muddle, minimize and insult the intelligence of the public.

So today it’s already more than just the “big bang” of a valve closing.

“Oh it was just a valve closing”. Yes, the valve that unexpectedly closed cut off the water system that provides cooling to important plant equipment.
    It seems like all over the US the NRC is actually having to do some work.

• CB CB

Words that blanket a large number of conclusions, like generic, and supposedly, alike bring both meaningless and irrelevant attention to an already discrediting story. Downplaying a serious and potential grave circumstance in plain view of the public in a position such as theirs, is a potential threat to society alone. Nobody has any balls to stand up.

• manontherun111

My uncle works part time as a janitor at the plant and has told me that the secondary seawater intake is non functional but the primary is just fine. There was also a loud noise caused by water pressure in the pipe when it failed.

nothing to worry about… yet…

• theypoisonus

manontherun111,

I live in N. Fl. since Aug 1 last year. I am going to take your statement as ‘truth for now’. Time will tell. I will not admonish you yet for it, as I hope, since ‘your father works at nuclear plant’ and you may indeed have an interest in nuclear plants and possibly came here to monitor info for Fuki, that you are legit. :)

I have been wrong before, and I will, no doubt, be wrong again, but I don’t want to stifle a voice simply because of what you said.

I hope, very much, that what you say is really the truth. I see that CB has labled you already, but I will reserve mine for now.

@ CB No offence meant, I think everyone deserves a chance at least once. O’tay ? :)

It won’t be long before we know better anyhow.

NOW… With the BP fiasco the ‘corrects it’ ( as a dear friend calls corexit) already still holding the oil down , and gobs of it, in the GOM, the last thing that body of water needs is crap from a nuclear plant. :(

PLUS, I will be selfish here, I was out of the woods, so to speak, with the fallout from Fuki with the Jet Stream riding way N. of here, now we hear this crap ??

IS there NO running from Nuclear RAdiation ?
      I fear not !!!

Good night, and Good Luck, I’m tired and old. :)

• The oil mud that came from the gulf has proved to have been radioactive also !
        This was something I researched and reported on last July 2010, many months before it was tested for and reported on ! My thoughts then and now, some of the men were having effects of radiation poisonings in high dose affected waters !

• maaa

1/5 Fukushima Global Genocide Plan Explained by Leuren Moret . Australia radioactive wasteland.

• CB CB

Manontherun, second hand story from a third class party, really? Thanks for sharing, but im sure your a victom, or contributor of disinformation.

• maaa

Interview with Area51 worker. “infiltrated military” “Aliens want major population centers wiped out so that the few that are left are left are more easily controlled”

• manontherun111

thats a rather rash decision to come to,

don’t give this wonderfull site a bad name and rep by bashing any one claiming that there is little to worry about. Im sharing information that you are unlikely to get elsewhere and get bashed for it.

in all fairness he is told by coworkers that there is very little radiation coming from fuku,

but there is no evidence of any ” catastrophic” event at this plant.. a loud noise and a loss of secondary coolant is a big deal, but that dose not make it a desaster,

Im the last person that would want to downplay the situation, just throwing this out there for your consideration and take what you will from it.

HARDLY disinformation, but its the closest we will get to real info any more from nuke plants, the workers.

• CB CB

@theypoisonus. Agreed, everyone deserves a chance a welcome to contribute. Ill try to be reserved.