Chris Harris, former licensed Senior Reactor Operator and engineer, Nutrimedical Report, Dec. 19, 2013 (at 28:15 in): 88 fuel assemblies removed, of them 22 are the new ones that have not been irradiated yet, 66 spent fuel ones — and today a damaged fuel assembly was discovered and pulled out. I sent you a Tepco announcement, and it’s in Japanese […] they’re also not putting out any English translations of it, they stopped doing that. […] It describes not a straight-as-an-arrow fuel assembly as normally you’d see, but it describes one that’s banana-shaped. They did pull it out and took that risk, pulled it out – I don’t know if it’s been pouring pellets in the bottom or not – I suspect they got it out, but you can see its bent. They showed you a description of what it looks like. They didn’t show actual footage of it yet. And now we’re getting into some of the more difficult, the more nitty gritty stuff, where you can start having an effect like we’ve already described previously on your program. Getting the low lying fruit, we’re probably coming close to the end of it.
Published: December 19th, 2013 at 8:00 pm ET
- Nuclear Engineer: Fuel appears damaged in Fukushima Unit 4 pool and will fall apart if they pull it up — Make sure your radiation monitor works so you know what’s going on when something drops (AUDIO) September 6, 2013
- Vice: ‘Suspicious’ death at Fukushima plant — Officials: Damaged nuclear fuel containers found in Unit 3 pool after removal of massive piece of debris — “High radioactivity prevented workers from carrying out the removal smoothly” — Concern about “new fuel failure” (PHOTOS & VIDEO) August 5, 2015
- Nuclear Industry Report: ‘Reduced stability’ of fuel pool in Fukushima Unit 4; Admits there’s damaged fuel inside? — Gundersen: Fuel racks moved and damaged; Fallen debris distorted tops (AUDIO) September 27, 2013
- Source: First try to remove spent fuel from Unit 4 could be next week — Nuclear Engineer: Everyone’s nervous about pulling out used rods that are corroding; Will zircoloy tubes break and spill fuel pellets, leading to a criticality? (AUDIO) November 23, 2013
- Damaged fuel rods are cracked and leaking radioactive gases in Fukushima Unit 4 pool; Wire appears trapped in racks — Another assembly bent when “mishandled during a transfer” November 14, 2013