Food and water poisoned by Japanese nuclear leak as expert warns more could die than in Chernobyl, Mirror, March 20, 2011:
… One expert predicted that the death toll in the years ahead could top the 500,000 attributed to the Chernobyl accident of 1986 and warned that panicked repair attempts could lead to an even greater disaster. John Large, a British nuclear engineer, said: “The Japanese don’t know how to deal with it. They’re ad-libbing.
“Just throwing water on to the reactors, when they cannot get inside to see what the situation is, could mean the fuel goes critical again.
“And while the radiation leak so far is only a tenth of that at Chernobyl, that was in a rural area with a low population. In Japan it’s an urban, densely packed area so the potential numbers of deaths and cancers are much higher.” …
Read the report here.
Published: March 20th, 2011 at 8:13 pm ET
- Nuclear Engineer: “Very huge catastrophe” for melted fuel to burn into ground — Radioactive material “will go all around the world” once in underground water — Chernobyl made cement barrier below reactor, #Fukushima did not (VIDEO) February 1, 2014
- Chernobyl Expert: Fukushima’s final toll will be worse — Multiple facilities, longer duration, population far more dense (RADIO) March 13, 2012
- “Japanese catastrophe is already more serious than Chernobyl” — Air force chief at Chernobyl shocked by poor response to Fukushima April 25, 2011
- Experts: Contamination from Fukushima worse than Chernobyl — Many people say 2051 goal “unrealistic” given scale of catastrophe… “Will I be alive when it’s completed?” December 21, 2011
- Magazine: ‘Fukushima catastrophe changed the world’; Worst nuclear accident in history, like two Chernobyls; ‘Poisoned entire landscapes for centuries’ — Study: Fukushima ‘overwhelms’ the peak radioactivity from nuclear bomb testing in ice core samples; ‘Affected the global environment’ February 13, 2015