Interview with Nuclear Engineer Chris Harris
Sept 13, 2012
At 31:00 in
Chris Harris, former licensed Senior Reactor Operator and engineer: Tepco did a sweep of spent fuel pool at Fukushima Unit 3 and what they’re finding is that it’s terrible damage.
A lot of the steel beams ended up in fuel pool…
You can see there’s devastating damage. It’s hard to even tell where the fuel is which leads me to believe it’s not really intact, or at least some of it is not intact.
I don’t know how they’re going to end up fishing it out.
At 33:45 in
Harris: I can’t see that there is not at least a good portion of the fuel that would be unscathed from what I’m looking at.
We don’t know for sure there’s no way to [inaudible] down deep inside.
But from what I’m looking at, that’s tons of steel falling in from a great height falling into the pool and impinging on top of the racks where the fuel is.
I hate to say it but there is broken fuel in there some where.
And I don’t know how to get that out.
Listen to the broadcast here
Published: September 14th, 2012 at 3:28 pm ET
- New images of Unit 3 fuel pool show debris near surface, possibly in danger of falling inside — Tepco investigating “condition of steel members partially immersed in pool” (PHOTOS) September 13, 2012
- Kyodo: Steel beam removed from Fukushima plant’s No. 3 pool after falling on fuel racks — Another steel beam found soon after (PHOTOS) December 20, 2012
- New images of fallen steel beam atop fuel assemblies in Unit 3 pool — Handles covered in debris, barely visible (PHOTOS) October 5, 2012
- Gundersen: New report shows 50 tons of rubble fell in Unit 3 pool, spent fuel is ‘highly damaged’ — Equal to loaded 18-wheeler falling from sky after supersonic explosive shockwave — “Like a knights lance, [mast] fell straight into fuel” (VIDEO) February 13, 2014
- Gundersen: New data shows Fukushima exceeds Chernobyl… Plumes seen emanating from both the Unit 3 fuel pool & reactor — Nuke Engineer: Broken fuel rods are above all 3 melted down reactors — Gov’t Experts: Unit 3 explosion may have damaged spent fuel & released even more radioactive material (VIDEO) February 9, 2015