Arnie Gundersen Interview
KGO Radio’s Pat Thurston
April 15, 2012
Gundersen: Why everybody is paying all this attention to Unit 4 is that we have four years to go. That pool has to be cooled and if there’s a seismic event that either stops the cooling, or cracks the pool, or knocks the building over [...]
[...] let’s assume that it didn’t fall, but went dry a hundred feet in the air, it would be a beacon, but instead of a beacon of light, it would be a beacon of radiation, and bathe the site in high levels of radiation. That’s not something that you want because it would make work on other units darn near impossible.
Host: And if people breathed in the whatever would have been created by the smoke from the fire would that be potentially deadly to them?
Gundersen: Yes. You look at the people on the site now they’re all wearing pretty good respirators. But even that wouldn’t be good enough because of something called ‘sky shine’. The gamma rays, forget the particles that get caught in your lungs, but the gamma rays would go up and bounce off air molecules and come down as a shine of radiation over the site, and it would go right through those suits and the guys would be exposed from the ‘sky shine’ so that’s the other…
Host: Holy mackerel, I’ve never heard of anything like that. I mean this is really scary.
Listen to the full interview here
- Saturday: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Sunday: 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Pat Thurston joined KGO Newstalk 810 in 2007, and began hosting her own show in September 2009. She began her long career in broadcasting during her days in the United States Army where she hosted a television show.
Pat was raised in the East Bay in a family of 8 children. She left California to work for the United States Secret Service and attended Indiana University and Purdue University. She returned to Northern California, and was married in 2002.
Please visit our hourly archive directory for her audio.
Published: May 3rd, 2012 at 6:39 pm ET
- Conservative Radio Host: Fukushima could be going on for centuries — Nobody knows how deep fuel went after melting — It’s sad people not paying attention, busy watching TV and football — Interviews Arnie Gundersen (AUDIO) November 21, 2013
- Radiation from gamma rays alone at almost 4 µSv/h in front of elementary school in Kashiwa, near Tokyo (VIDEOS) October 30, 2011
- Gundersen on Gamma Rays: “Implies rubble was activated by neutrons, or that activation products like Cobalt-60 are in rubble — Interesting” August 27, 2012
- “Are you sitting down”? Gamma rays seen in Fukushima footage — Appearing as out-of-focus streaks and flashes (VIDEO) January 25, 2012
- Japanese officials report concerns about gamma rays being emitted from Fukushima plant debris August 27, 2012