Title: Are we in the “breakdown” faze of nuclear power?
Source: The Big Picture
Date: Feb 3, 2012
Kevin Kamps, Beyond Nuclear joins Thom Hartmann. Earlier this week – California’s San Onofre nuclear power plant had to be unexpectedly shut down after radioactive water was discovered leaking out of the plant’s Unit 3 reactor. [...]
Transcript Summary at 6:15 in
Kamps: Two ruptures at San Onofre, a domino effect, a cascade of two ruptures, you could have a loss of coolant accident in the core which could lead to a meltdown, which could lead to a China Syndrome, burn through containment, and a catastrophic radioactivity release.
Published: February 6th, 2012 at 1:15 pm ET
- Local Paper: “News could be catastrophic for San Onofre” nuke plant in Calif. — Over 800 tubes show damage — Multiple pipes may have burst — Still can’t determine size of leak February 2, 2012
- “Unusual” find at shutdown Calif. nuke plant: “Safety implications could be very, very severe” — “I’ve never heard of anything like that” -Retired NRC engineer February 2, 2012
- Troubled Calif. nuke plant may not even apply for a renewal license — Says 4,000 tons of high-level radioactive waste stored onsite February 10, 2012
- Shocking radiation propaganda on local TV news near troubled Calif. nuclear plant — Bananas, sleeping next to someone, granite, under 100 milliSv/yr safe… More (VIDEO) February 3, 2012
- LA Times: 1/3 of workers laid-off at troubled Calif. nuke plant, many wonder if it will ever fully reopen — Official: Reality is reactor will not be operating ‘for some time’ — All while state survives scorching summer without San Onofre (VIDEOS) August 21, 2012