Published: April 27th, 2011 at 5:36 am ET

Gundersen Postulates Unit 3 Explosion May Have Been Prompt Criticality in Fuel Pool, Fairewinds Associates, April 26th, 2011:

When building 3 of the Fukushima Daiichi plant exploded last month, those who saw the video footage were left to wonder why it was more severe than the other explosions. Adding to the mystery were reports that the containment and reactor in building 3 were still intact. Gundersen discusses several known facts about Fukushima 3 and theorizes on a possible scenario leading to the explosion.

Prompt Criticality: Capable of sustaining a chain reaction without the aid of delayed neutrons. -McGraw-Hill Science & Technology Dictionary

Gundersen Postulates Unit 3 Explosion May Have Been Prompt Criticality in Fuel Pool from Fairewinds Associates on Vimeo.

Published: April 27th, 2011 at 5:36 am ET

1. Gundersen: Damage to Fukushima Unit 3 fuel racks could be from prompt moderated criticality, not objects falling in pool — What does Tepco know that they haven’t yet shown photos of? December 21, 2012
  2. Japan Expert: It was a nuclear explosion at Reactor No. 3 — I believe fuel rods were blown out of spent fuel pool December 13, 2011
  3. Nuclear expert says Americium has been found in New England — Element even heavier than Uranium (VIDEO) April 28, 2011
  4. Gundersen: Major problem inside pool at Fukushima Unit 3 — Pieces of nuclear fuel rods were blown out during criticality explosion — Building could ‘shatter’ if another big quake hits (VIDEO) October 5, 2013
  5. Symposium Q&A: Explosion at Fukushima Unit 3 drove nuclear fuel out of storage pool — Scattered up to 2 miles away (VIDEO) March 27, 2013

10 comments to Nuclear expert: Powerful explosion at reactor No. 3 may have been from “prompt criticality” in spent fuel pool (VIDEO)

• Mark

Watching the video is scary when you remember thats the one with the plutonium in it! Too bad I am living in Vancouver basically west coast of Pacific Ocean. I guess one little micro-speck of plutonium ingested won’t be very good. Of course the real news up here is that the Canucks won the series and move forward to the Stanley Cup. I personally am more worried about staying out of the rain. Everybody should just pray.

• The Hanford List

If u would just listen … then … one might start to figure out on whose 4-$tage payroll this “ex pert” is.

The xplosive 14sec video sound – amplified.

• extra knight

wow. that short video youtube clip of the fukushima dai-ichi reactor 3 exlosion was interesting, but i don’t see the connection.

eat a banana, go to jail.

• jcrabb

Nodoubt Arnie can expect some character assasination that denial drones have shown themselves to be so good at in Climate change denial.

• tony wilson

arnold gundersen president of the united states of america.

since barry obama is out playing golf again.
      let’s get arnie in to kick some ass.
      in his very respectful gentlemanly polite like way.

• radegan

Eight posts back I asked Dr. Conway of UC Davis a bunch of questions, it’s worth it to read his answers, altho he didn’t answer a few of them. I did ask him about Arnie G. – here’s what he said:

“Lastly, Arnie Gunderson is doing a great service to the world in helping us decipher what’s going on at Fukushima. I’ve only found one thing that I don’t think he got quite right – the idea that the early video of Unit 4, showing the grid-like structure under the green fuel loading derrick, was showing the spent fuel rack exposed. I don’t think this notion was borne out in later higher-res photos, but I can see how Arnie might have though that was the rack. And maybe it was, but I think what we were seeing was cable trays and/or explosion debris. The Unit 4 situation still scares me the most, and the idea that the rack was still open to air was pretty frightening. Anyway, keep it up, Arnie!”

You’ll also find the Doc is getting his students up for local crop and market monitoring. Maybe that means he’s as unhappy about the Feds data as I am. How do you explain so many monitoring stations out of service at the same time and at the exact moment we really needed them and at the sites of the most likely fallouts? See no evil…what radiation? I want more data too.

I believe NILU was embarrassed by the hacker who broke out the concealed map. I think they took their data and modified it truthfully to account for the latest Japanese revisions. Those animations are a few posts back. They show 20X the Cs137 in Oregon and Wash as over my part of FL. Paint another layer of that on tomorrow and the next day, and the next day….and I sure do want my WA apples well tested. I’d like to know what Dr. Conway feels about those NILU animations.

And altho many of us have taken shots at him, I think he does share more in common with us than with the industry and I thank him for his contributions and spirited debate.

• Discordian

Let’s just hope he doesn’t get “Matt Simmons-ed.”

• extra knight

if he’s half of who or what he says he is, he should be doing alot more, not just mindlessly repeating the moronic and thick propaganda/half-truths of, or religously miming the ludicrous disinformation script of the Talking Heads and the big box mass media outlets. dollars to donuts he doesn’t know what he is talking about.

eat a banana, go to jail.

• Buck-0

How can americium-241 affect people’s health?

Americium-241 poses a significant risk if ingested (swallowed) or inhaled. It can stay in the body for decades and continue to expose the surrounding tissues to both alpha and gamma radiation, increasing the risk of developing cancer. Americium-241 also poses a cancer risk to all organs of the body from direct external exposure to its gamma radiation. One source of direct exposure would be contaminated soil. Exposure to any significant amount of Am-241 is unlikely under normal circumstances. (“Normal circumstances” do not include trying to access or remove the Am-241 source in a smoke detector!)

What is EPA doing about americium-241?

Americium-241 in drinking water is covered under the Safe Drinking Water Act. This law establishes Maximum Contaminant Levels, or MCLs, for radionuclides and other contaminants in drinking water. The MCL for alpha particle activity applies to Am-241. The limit is 15 pCi/l alpha particle activity in drinking water.

EPA DATA, it just makes me feel warm all over my body.

• Cyclops2

If you feel warm all over. MOVE FAST.

You are standing uder a very radioactive cloud !!