Title: Protecting unit 3
Source: World Nuclear News
Date: 20 November 2012
World Nuclear News “is supported administratively and with technical advice by the World Nuclear Association”; The WNA is “supporting a fast-globalizing nuclear industry”
[...] Concrete dust in the [Unit 3] pool has made the water very murky and the debris inside inhibits the flow of water.
The cover will be constructed to encase the damaged reactor building, protecting it from the weather and preventing any release of radioactive particles during decommissioning work [...] it will not be fixed to the reactor building itself, but will be supported on the ground on one side, and against the turbine building on the other. [...]
Tepco aims to remove sufficient debris from unit 3′s used fuel pool to allow the removal of the fuel assemblies to start in fiscal 2014.
The fuel removed from unit 3 will be packaged for transport the short distance to the site’s communal fuel storage pool, although it will need to be inspected and flushed clean of dust and debris. [...]
[intlink id="gundersen-cover-fukushima-unit-3-looks-like-mall-superstore-reactor-building-severely-damaged-support-structure-audio" type="post"]See nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen discuss how the cover is not fixed to the reactor building here[/intlink]
Published: November 23rd, 2012 at 12:59 pm ET
- TV: Dam gates ‘shifted’ in Fukushima Unit 3 fuel pool — Damaged by massive piece of falling debris — Concern it could trigger drainage from pool — Tepco: It does not ‘appear’ to be leaking March 30, 2015
- New images of Unit 3 fuel pool show debris near surface, possibly in danger of falling inside — Tepco investigating “condition of steel members partially immersed in pool” (PHOTOS) September 13, 2012
- Tepco: Debris is missing at Unit 3 — May have ‘sunk’ into fuel pool (PHOTOS) February 7, 2013
- New Tepco footage shows debris dangling in Fukushima Unit 3 fuel pool (VIDEO) September 13, 2012
- Photos: ‘Protection’ to be installed over No. 3 fuel pool at Fukushima — Concern over more debris falling in February 6, 2013