Published: May 9th, 2011 at 9:08 am ET

Deadly Silence on Fukushima, Vivian Norris for the Huffington Post, May 9, 2011:

I received the following email a few days ago from a Russian nuclear physicist friend who is an expert on the kinds of gases being released at Fukushima. Here is what he wrote:

About Japan: the problem is that the reactor uses “dirty” fuel. It is a combination of plutonium and uranium (MOX).

I suspect that the old fuel rods have bean [sic] spread out due to the explosion and the surrounding area is contaminated with plutonium which means you can never return to this place again.

It is like a new Tchernobyl. Personally, I am not surprised that the authority has not informed people about this.

[...] I have also watched as the news has virtually disappeared. There is something extremely disturbing going on and having lived through the media blackout in France back in April and early May 1986, and speaking to doctors who are deeply concerned by the dramatic increase in cancers appearing at very young ages, it is obvious that information is being held back. [...]

Published: May 9th, 2011 at 9:08 am ET

1. Nuclear Physicist: Most of the fallout from plutonium-containing MOX fuel will drop on U.S., unless very strong winds take it elsewhere May 18, 2011
  2. NBC: Photo of barrels with plutonium-contaminated waste inside plastic tent at Los Alamos ‘Area G’ — “When they assure you there’s nothing to worry about I think I’d be somewhat worried” says former DOE official (VIDEO) July 1, 2011
  3. Gundersen: I think plutonium being reported around Fukushima is raw, unoxidized pieces of nuclear rods that were blown out from Unit 3′s spent fuel pool August 22, 2012
  4. Fox News: “All of the stricken reactors and spent fuel pools contain plutonium” March 18, 2011
  5. Mainichi on the Plutonium Paradox in Japan — What do you do with spent MOX fuel? January 28, 2012

82 comments to Nuclear physicist suspects No. 3 MOX spent fuel rods have spread out and surrounding area is contaminated with plutonium — “You can never return to this place again”

• radegan

“I have also watched as the news has virtually disappeared. There is something extremely disturbing going on…”

Didn’t you see your daily TEPCO report? What more do you need? They give you a TEPCO-CAM, so you can watch it for yourself. Here’s the real poop – TEPCO can’t go bankrupt. It’s not just a utility, if it were, no problem, the government could step right in. Instead, it’s a conglomerate with a large division selling insurance. Now any insurance company lays off their risk using re-insurance and shiny Wall Street creations. How much of that re-insurance was sold by Warren Buffet? And how much by AIG? (I’m betting the difference is huge). So could the US taxpayer could find himself on the hook for insurance payouts in Japan? If TEPCO goes down, it takes the dollar with it. Therefore, we must all pretend that nothing is amiss. What radiation?

• Cuica

I think you are so right! From their point of view it’s about money. Japan insists that it will not end it’s nuclear energy program, they will not deal with this problem from a disater point of view, tthey are still using calculators in their resolution process. I wish they would stop for a moment and close their eyes and look into the very possible future. Imagine an island of sand where not enen a tree could survive…that’s the reality..put the claculators away boys…this is real….

• Anthony

Yes its like hardcore denial which is kinda psychotic if you consider the outcomes for all the rest of us downwind from this madness. It sounds like you are right but that begs the question as to whether the people want to sacrifice the finances or the environment, doesn`t it?

• Moco

More like the entire japanese economy hangs in the balance. Tepco credit risk is mini to those credit default swaps on all workings of the japanese economic engine.
        JPM has over 90 trillion of notional CDS risk.
        That’s why they had to bailout the criminals and their ponzi system because it touches all money and everyone on the entire planet.

• ZombiePlanet

SILENT WEAPONS FOR QUIET WARS

I received conformation this morning from a respected and knowledgeable source that the readings I am detecting are indeed, high.

0.04 R/hr in a rural area near Lansing Michigan.

• If I was in Japan Right now I would be hunting TEPCO fucks down and giving them a BIN LADEN cocktail 2 SHOTS and A WATER BACKER

• beachbum

This is my last blog, as the continuous re-defining of the problem has not moved us into the direction of solutions. In some cases, I realize, there are no solutions. We’ve really done it to ourselves this time.
    I recently got caught up in the hoop-la, having never blogged before, which has distracted me from my higher goals; it is to these things I must now return. I will spend more time with my kids and grandkids. I will mend some fences that really need my attention. I see people right here in my own personal mission field that need so much, and… I believe I can make a difference. I have a few loose ends to tie up.
    My home, and my security, on the Gulf are in serious danger. I have put this off for a while, but now I must relocate immediately. My monies and time must be focused on me and mine. The higher calling beckons me and I must go.
    So many of you have become friends; recognizable by your writing styles. It’s good to be pissed off, or to stop and smell the heart of the rose, or to have the good xdrfox as my healing physician. Kevin at Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Blog, thanks for the space. And so many others I have learned to love. Thank you all.
    Stand up America! It is never too late. Let’s be the change we want to see.
    Peace out!

• xdrfox

And some pieces are burning with the Blue Flame from night photos released last month in a wooded area far from the plant. One larger one with several smaller ones near by !
    Eternal Blue Flame at plant showed more then just the one at plant !

• 67Mopar

I think the danger is overrated.

• Anyone have some good links on the BP-oil-is-radioactive theme?

CHERNOBYL IN THE GULF

Reports of unexplained health problems are soaring – and the primary suspects are the toxic compounds contained in BP’s oil and the chemical dispersants used to break down the crude. From flu-like symptoms to blindness to intense chest pain to severe sinus inflammation, people across the Gulf region are reporting debilitating illnesses in the wake of the spill.
    To determine how the spill may be causing this spike in sicknesses, we need to look at how the toxins are released into the environment.
    The production of oil delivers several different waste streams into the environment in an uncontrolled release like the BP disaster. Besides the oil itself, highly toxic compounds are also present in the gas streams jettisoned from the well, including methane and hydrogen sulfide. A waste byproduct known as “produced water” is also simultaneously discharged with the oil and gases from the well. Every oil and gas formation, or reservoir, contains these waste streams.
    The toxins associated with these streams can be broken down into three primary categories: (1) organic elements like benzene; (2) inorganic heavy metals including lead, chromium and cadmium; and (3) most important, naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM).
    Radioactive elements such as radium, thorium and uranium are known byproducts of the oil production process. These toxic elements are extracted from the ground along with the oil and gas, and are separated from the fossil fuels as part of the production process. Once the NORM is extracted, it is flushed directly back into the ocean in the waste-stream byproduct known as produced water. Their discharge into the Gulf of Mexico has been a daily reality since the 1950s – but the amount that was released into the water from the runaway Macondo Well is unprecedented.

• CHERNOBYL IN THE GULF
    (with spaces this time)

• shockwave

I hope all governments stop importing any products made in Japan. It will give Japan enough pressure to take actions like USSR. But I am only daydreaming, or maybe the sky is still dark, I should go back to dreams.

• I know exactly what you mean shockwave–Thought the same thing when I awoke today–Damn, I like it better when my eyes are closed–it’s the only way THEY GO AWAY! :-)

• bcbud

watching CNN this morning and they had a 30 second blurb that was optimistic about how things looked! No reports on radiation. Then in a turn of real journalism they spent 4 minutes on a 15-20% hike in ring sales….. Weeeee!

• Anthony

Don`t you find it stunning that the Prime Minister of Canada has yet to make a public statement about the radiation to the citizens? Or did I miss Canada`s official position on the world crisis?

• bcbud

I’m not shocked that the Conservatives are not looking out for the best interests of Canadians. we have moved all our testing equipment away from the coast to the interior of BC as soon as this crisis began.

• xdrfox

“4 minutes on a 15-20% hike in ring sales”
    Maybe folks want to get married before their hair falls out ?

• Ian

The Japanese are dispicable. They are lying to get foreign workers.
    So much for Japan sacraficing to get this problem resolved, it looks like they want everyone else to sacrafice but them. The Japanese created this problem and they need to fix it themselves.

• charlie

Beachbum, are you the person who created this site?

• mikael

I do feel the same, just sitt down and start living and only hope that they somehow is able to, if not stopp it, reduce it considerably.

And my fears goes to the people in USA and Canada.
    This one is what I define as The Perfect storm.
    Its just in the begining, to months and its still mounting and the desperat atempt to cuel the News, just undelines my concern.

Regarding Plutonium, its never been a matter of mass, its either inside or not. And what ever they say, its a wast distance between Internal and external exposure, its not even comperable.

And dont forgett the Japan people, they dont deserve this, and a lot of inocent people are going to suffer, and future life is in jepardy.
    My hart and feelings goes to them all.

Peace

• Heart of the Rose

I have to do some of both.
    Take care of mine and defend liberty.
    Information is power.
    It’s fight or capitulate into the inevitable chaos.
    How best to preserve the what is left of this country?
    It does not serve our countrymen..to only consider our own.

• radegan

I have one myself. Throughout this mess, I’ve taken readings at 0.01 to 0.04 R/hr. But these old dogs weren’t meant to be sensitive at that end of their scale. I charged up a Bendix V-742 as a check and found that it was not registering that level or anywhere near, so I would guess I was out of calibration. I can only note the direction and changes of intensity, which would still be valid. March 24th was the highest reading and it was 4x the first reading I took on March 14th. Reading today was 0.02, which is still twice the baseline reading I took before the fallout reached us.

• Novamind

So then it appears the Japanese have 86ed themselfs from the Fukie Bar for Life. How ever long that turns out to be.

• Heart of the Rose

Delineation:
    Japan= No Man’s Land

• BigAl

I bet actor John Wayne could tell us a thing or two about working in fallout. He made it 33 years after filming a movie in the unholy shit.

• SteveMT

Approximately 2,250 gallons/hour is being pumped into Reactor #3.

Is it working?…and where is all the water going?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:44 +0900 (JST)
    “Tokyo Electric Power Company has been pumping 9 tons of water per hour into the reactor since last Wednesday after its temperature began rising earlier this month.”

• Mellie

These are good posts. I hope people are also being as proactive in contacting their city, state and Fed. officials with their concerns and suggestions. We are the checks and balances. It’s just not enough to post our thoughts on forums.

• Anthony

Contact who though? I think the message from our governments is there IS no problem. Info posted on website etc…. it is the most frustrating situation…

• Heart of the Rose

Well, forget our State Dept….Hillary is on the Dark Side.
    Protecting the rights of big corporations to use force as so called security.
    Rabbit hole here……..

• Heart of the Rose

Big money to be made on the half-deads.
    And to boot.. the morons aren’t building it out of the Macondo well contamination area.

• Talk about exaggeration! How can he say never go back, when all you have to do is wait about 7,ooo years. In terms of Earth history, it is a mere tick of the clock.