Deadly Silence on Fukushima, Vivian Norris for the Huffington Post, May 9, 2011:
I received the following email a few days ago from a Russian nuclear physicist friend who is an expert on the kinds of gases being released at Fukushima. Here is what he wrote:
About Japan: the problem is that the reactor uses “dirty” fuel. It is a combination of plutonium and uranium (MOX).
I suspect that the old fuel rods have bean [sic] spread out due to the explosion and the surrounding area is contaminated with plutonium which means you can never return to this place again.
It is like a new Tchernobyl. Personally, I am not surprised that the authority has not informed people about this.
[...] I have also watched as the news has virtually disappeared. There is something extremely disturbing going on and having lived through the media blackout in France back in April and early May 1986, and speaking to doctors who are deeply concerned by the dramatic increase in cancers appearing at very young ages, it is obvious that information is being held back. [...]
Published: May 9th, 2011 at 9:08 am ET
- Nuclear Physicist: Most of the fallout from plutonium-containing MOX fuel will drop on U.S., unless very strong winds take it elsewhere May 18, 2011
- Fox News: “All of the stricken reactors and spent fuel pools contain plutonium” March 18, 2011
- New Study: Aerosolized plutonium from Fukushima detected in Europe — Spent fuel indicated January 2, 2012
- Scientists: Plutonium released from Fukushima “is of radiological concern”; Reactor must be source, not spent fuel pool — Study: Plutonium found 120 km from plant; “Pu and non-natural uranium certainly increased in environment” April 21, 2014
- NBC: Photo of barrels with plutonium-contaminated waste inside plastic tent at Los Alamos ‘Area G’ — “When they assure you there’s nothing to worry about I think I’d be somewhat worried” says former DOE official (VIDEO) July 1, 2011