Arirang’s ‘In Depth’, Nov. 23, 2013: […] there is mounting concern about radiation leakage caused by the Fukushima nuclear plant destruction. There is reemerged concern as Japan dismantles its nuclear plant.
Professor Suh Kune-yull, Nuclear Engineering at Seoul National University: Q: What’s the situation like in Fukushima? A: Your guess is as good as mine, in fact, nobody‘s really sure about it. […] Q: Everyone around Japan, everyone in the world, we have to be on our toes for the next however many years [fuel removal at Unit 4] will take? A: It’s not many years, it’s many decades — that’s what I’m saying. They’re talking about a year and a half, 18 months. That’s a very implausible case, that there’s no accident […] no slippage? […] That’s where everybody, where every knowledgeable scientist and engineer gets really scared about this.
Theo Theofanous, Professor of Nuclear Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara, March 16, 2011 (at 55:00 in): In the fourth reactor we had an explosion in the top of the fuel pool. […] So that’s the fourth reactor which up to this point had shown no indication of difficulty. Now we have fire at the top of the pool and now we have an explosion, which destroys the roof […] To me that’s a very big concern […] The situation is the following: Reactors 1 and 3 have lost those pools and the fuel is basically destroyed in there. Reactor 4, the same situation […] The question now is going to be – this morning I was trying to puzzle how do we cool those pools up here? I have been advising through some channels that consult with me for the government, I’ve been advising them to be ready if necessary, to controllably collapse this whole pool into the floor. Because as long as its sitting up there, there’s no way to cover it [with water] [...] Basically, controllably with explosive, the floors cut through, and then cut this pool down. [...]
Published: November 26th, 2013 at 12:47 am ET
- TV: “Japan’s worst nuclear nightmare” — Yale Professor: Removing fuel from Fukushima Unit 4 pool “has me very scared” — Tepco: “We believe it’s not dangerous” (VIDEO) October 31, 2013
- Yale Professor: Fukushima Unit 4 pool in perilous condition — “All of humanity will be threatened for thousands of years” if not able to be kept cool — Danger of collapse during storm or while attempting removal of fuel rods September 20, 2013
- Nuclear Engineer: New cover on Unit 4 can trap hydrogen gas during criticality in fuel pool — Blast would be close to a nuclear explosion, from a practical standpoint (AUDIO) November 22, 2013
- Nuclear Engineer who advised Prime Minister: Danger of radiation escaping from No. 4 fuel pool during strong aftershock — We don’t know what may happen if there’s another major quake — “We hope for the best” -AP July 18, 2012
- “It’s a time bomb and clock’s still ticking” — Ex-Fukushima Worker: I’m scared of collapse at plant, “buildings are in a very bad state” — Gundersen: “Building failures” will occur in future if problems not solved (VIDEOS) October 16, 2013