Hartmann: Fukushima…Has the China Syndrome now officially begun?, Big Picture hosted by Thom Hartmann, Dec 6, 2011:
Paul Gunter, director of the Reactor Oversight Project at Beyond Nuclear: Gunter specializes in reactor hazards and security of operating reactors; prevention of new reactor construction; regulatory oversight; climate change; the nuclear power-nuclear weapons connection; organizing and movement-building; radiation impacts on health; and wildlife impacts.
Host: [...] The architect of Reactor No. 3 at Fukushima spoke out recently criticizing Tepco saying their explanations don’t make sense. And he claimes that it’s inevitable that nuclear fuel has leaked into the groundwater which means China Syndrome is upon us, or could be [...] Based on what the architect said, have we officially reached the edge of the China Syndrome stage at Fukushima?
Gunter: [...] The former president of Saga university, this info is also corroborated by an earlier report from September by an assistant professor at the Kyoto Research Reactor Institute who said reactors 1 and 3 already had a melt-through and that by his projection the corium had moved 10-12 meters into the ground already [...]
Highly radioactive fuel and steel and its just burning down [...]
Even in Tepco’s simulation, they admitted corium has burned through 2/3s of floor [...]
Tepco’s credibility is less than zero right now [...]
At 5:00 in
Host: What happens when that corium hits the water table?
Gunther: This is a big concern [...]
Red hot radioactive material is melting down [...]
Once it hits this groundwater source the concern is that there will be thsi large steam generation and then simultaneously — if its hot enough — it will make hydrgoen gas, oxygen, becomes a very explosive and pressurized environment and it just blows right up [...]
Published: December 7th, 2011 at 1:31 pm ET
- “Huge steam explosions” if nuclear fuel hits water… Just a matter of time before corium melts through Fukushima station: Former secretary of UK gov’t committee (VIDEO) November 21, 2011
- Nuclear Specialist: Thousands of times more radioactivity in some US spent fuel pools than what we saw after Chernobyl (VIDEO) August 10, 2012
- Report: Nuclear fuel fragments found over a mile away were “ejected from the reactor cores in those explosions” not spent fuel pools, according to NRC (VIDEO) August 18, 2011
- Massive entry of radiation into groundwater will spread throughout water table in Northern Japan (VIDEO) June 13, 2011
- Radioactive cesium levels “never seen before” at Fukushima — New record as amount in groundwater nearly doubles in 24 hours — Officials admit ‘may be new leak’ — IAEA urges ‘resumption’ of dumping contaminated water in ocean; ‘All options’ need to be on table (VIDEO) February 14, 2014