Published: January 28th, 2014 at 9:59 am ET

Stars & Stripes, Jan. 27, 2014: Congress has instructed the Defense Department to launch an inquiry into potential health impacts on Navy first-responders from Japan’s March 2011 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster. [...] While the instruction is not law, Defense Department officials said that they were taking the request seriously. [...] These individuals claim to be suffering from exposure-related ailments such as unexplained cancers, excessive bleeding, thyroid issues and ailments including loss of muscle power, migraines and vision problems. [...] The suit was filed in federal court in San Diego in December 2012 seeking damages and funds to cover medical expenses. The original eight complainants were on the USS Ronald Reagan, but the suit has since expanded to include those who served aboard the USS Essex and USS Germantown as well as attached Marines. [...] some claim they were pressured into signing forms confirming they had been given iodine pills when none had been provided.

Congressional Record, Jan. 15, 2014: Recent reports of sailors who have developed cancer and other health conditions linked to radiation exposure after serving on the USS Ronald Reagan during Operation Tomodachi, which provided humanitarian assistance following the earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan in March 2011, are disconcerting. [...] The Secretary of the Navy is directed to take all necessary steps to ensure that any health effects resulting from this humanitarian mission are fully addressed. The agreement includes $200,000,000 for the peer-reviewed medical research program, $100,000,000 for the joint warfighter medical research program, and $25,000,000 for the peer-reviewed cancer research program. A portion of these funds should be utilized, if necessary, to carry out additional research on the health effects of radiation exposure.

Paul C. Garner, attorney representing military personnel who served in Operation Tomodachi, Jan. 27, 2014: Here’s where it’s going. We’re refilling before Feb. 6 […] we had 51 victims, we expect double that figure – of record. We’ve been contacted by probably 250 victims […] There’s a latency period, but we have filed on behalf of all who participated in Operation Tomodachi, to preserve their rights so that they can file a claim in the future when something arises. With Steve, we know it’s happening, with several others, unfortunately it’s the same scenario, or beyond — Constantly bleeding from your butt, or from gynecological? And you’re a young person, at 21 you lose one of your testicles? We’re going to push this forward. As you mentioned congress is going to get a report back from the undersecretary in charge of this by April 15, but we’re not waiting for them because where have they been?

More from Garner’s interview here

Published: January 28th, 2014 at 9:59 am ET

1. Navy Sailor: Crew members lost control of their bowels after Fukushima radiation exposure, as skin rashes developed; “It was a real big problem” — Congress signs bill making military conduct health survey (VIDEO) January 19, 2014
  2. California Official: Information on risk from Fukushima needs to be made public — State in contact with NRC — CBS: ‘Health Scare Over Possible Fukushima Radiation In Pacific-Caught Fish’ — Surfer: I’d never go surfing right now (VIDEO) January 11, 2014
  3. U. of Pittsburg radiation expert: Child cancer risk doubles if exposed to just a couple x-rays worth of radiation during pregnancy (VIDEO) October 6, 2011
  4. U.S. Navy Sailor: Higher ups, senior chiefs now say they’re sick after Fukushima exposure — A bunch contacted us after seeing segment on national TV (VIDEO) March 12, 2013
  5. “It’s Madness”: Doctors in Japan helping perpetuate Fukushima cover-up — Patients not being told their illnesses are from exposure to radioactive contamination — Scientific reports showing radiation health damage to humans are forbidden to be published (AUDIO) October 14, 2013

89 comments to Number of sick U.S. military first responders doubles — Around 250 victims of Fukushima radiation exposure contact attorney — Congress: Reports are ‘disconcerting’ (VIDEO)

• Ontological Ontological

"some claim they were pressured into signing forms confirming they had been given iodine pills when none had been provided".

Since these pills are basically useless in a situation like the USS Ronald Regan was in, this is an attempt at cover up. What was the crew roster head count, for that first helicopter run? What percentage of crew does this 250 afflicted people represent?

• Socrates

Remember that low levels of exposure that continue for centuries will eventually accomplish in North America the same or similar result. People will get sick. Mutations will happen. Food, water, and air will be contaminated.

Eventually, people woll seek to assign blame and affix legal liability.

Until the stillbirths and abortion, low birth weights, childhood leukemia statistics mount up, along with Chernobyl heart, lung cancer, thyroid cancers, autism, learning fisorders, etc., Americans will be concerned with the Superbowl and the Grammy Awards, etc.

We are all on the good ship USS Reagan. Wake up, folks, We are next in line given tincture of time.

There are endtimes cults with nuclear technology. Wake up!

• Sickputer

The power of the Internet is growing. Big Brother is never again to feel sheltered beyond the watchful eyes of millions. That doesn't mean corruption is stopped, but it will be exposed and injured parties may get money to help their shattered lives.

BB is good at showing the kindly face when his ugly demonic minions are revealed for the crimes they commit either by incompetence or blind obedience to their place in the social niches they crave so much.

It is the love of money that corrupts humans into abandoning the values of caring and compassion from immemorial times. Busby said it well in the November interview.

Power corrupts. But the love of money corrupts the ruling class to the point of losing touch with the mores of humanity. This isn't ancient Athens and 90% of politicians do not have your back.

• Ontological Ontological

Agreed Socrates. Earth be our ship, and we need to keep her clean.

• WWJD WWJD

@Socrates – I agree with you and while we chase what "they" have already done to us, we allow them to continue to build new nuclear plants and restart the 30+ year old death reactors daily after EMERGENCY shutdowns become common place. All of this continuing to put mankind at risk with a risk vs. reward that makes no sense.

• charlie3

Socrates:
    "We are all on the good ship USS Reagan."
    Well said.
    Like all of us here, I have wanted to bring attention to the fukushima disaster and cover up. I still do. But I also wonder what making people aware of fukushima can accomplish…the poison will still spread over the planet, and we still won't be able to stop it, or even do anything to protect ourselves except avoiding Pacific seafood.

• gordon

I don't think making the public aware does much. The people that need to know, if anything is to be done, are those that enjoy the tax base that's being poisoned. They're the same people that steer the military around, the direct controllers, not the guys that finance it.

The health of the tax base is one of the most important factors in all this, in my opinion. I believe that's the only plausible reason that the evacuation areas/exclusion zones in Japan are so insufficient.

You can't fleece the herd if they up and leave.

• We Not They Finally

How ironic that that doomed ship was named after Ronald Reagan. "Saint Reagan" spearheaded all those wonderful "USS Reagan" ECONOMIC policies that seem to have Pandora-Promised us into oblivion as well. And with a big smile and Hollywood script to boot.

• gordon

That Reagan was a professional actor should tell you a bit about what a president is, not to mention all the governors across the country.

I've read that there's a Reagan museum on the ship that gets such little use they don't even have to clean it.

Anyway, the ship wasn't doomed. It seems to be operating fine. Looks like everyone that spent time in open air when they were in the plume had their medical destiny changed. The more I think about it, maybe they did start up filtration countermeasures during the event. That would explain why such a small portion of the crew is effected… well, so far as we know up to this point.

• Sickputer

Gordon sez: "that would explain why such a small portion of the crew [Ronald Reagan] is effected… well, so far as we know up to this point."

SP: The MOX air was ubiquitous so I doubt many escaped unless high officers stayed in safe rooms.

The bigger problem was the contaminated drinking and washing water they siphoned in the Pacific near Fukushima. That water desalinization system is regulation on all nuke ships to cool the reactors without corrosion and also serve as the lifeline water supply for the crew.

Maybe there was enough bottled water for the high command after they discovered the water supply was a death sentence. But there definitely wasn't enough bottled water for the entire crew. Many months at sea after they fled Japan. Perhaps some airdrops brought the officers fresh water. I can't imagine they were so dumb as to drink the bad water.

Wait until those grim details come out in the lawsuit depositions by the dying sailors. The DOD may try to wiggle out of this with some big compensations for the sick troops. Many more may fall ill.

• Nick

There is already enough nuclear poison in our world to destroy our future.

When that truth becomes known, the masses wake up.

Calling for shutting down the industry ignores the reality of the radiation poisoning currently going on.

The meme from here on has to be "no safe dose" AND the world as you know it is gone.

So love while you can. Laugh until the blood oozes from your orifices. Cough up the white and yellow goo.

No one anywhere can hide from Fukushima.

Get used to this new reality. There will be no other.

To all the sailors of the USS RR, my heart bleeds for all of you. No one deserved your fate.

• Seraphine Seraphine

"While the instruction is not law, Defense Department officials said that they were taking the request seriously."
    That tells me all I need to know about how much effort & transparency will go into that inquiry.
    Such bs.

• Gasser Gasser

ROBERTA FLACK

"Killing Me Softly With His Song”

See this first…read below last

Strumming my pain with a deformed finger

Singing my Fukushima life with his words

Informing me softly with his song

Killing denial softly, with his songs

Telling the rest of my life with his words

Enlightening me softly with his songs

I heard he sang truth songs

I heard he had a freedom style

And so I came to see him

To listen to truth for a while

And there he was, this Plutonium disfigured boy

A nolonger stranger to my eyes

Strumming my pain with a crooked finger

Singing my life with his words

Revealing me softly with his song

Killing me softly, with Nuclear songs

Telling what's left of my life with his words

Killing death softly, with his truth songs

I felt all flushed with Cesium's fever

Embarrassed in the Pro Nuke crowd

I felt he found my Nuclear concerns

And read each one out loud

I prayed that he would finish

But he just kept right on

Strumming my pain with one deformed hand

Singing our lives with his words

[Con't]

• Gasser Gasser

[Con’t]

Killing me softly with a Cesium song

Killing death softly, with his songs

Telling our future life with his words

Killing us softly, with his songs

He sang as if he knew me

In all my dark Fukushima despair

And then he looked right through me

As if I was Gamma rayed there

And he just kept on singing

Singing clear and strong

Strumming my pain with a deformed arm

Singing my life with his words

Killing me softly with his song

Killing us softly with his songs

Telling of no more life, with his words

Killing us softly, with his truth song

Strumming my brain with enenews updates

Stinging my life, with pragmatic words

Awakening me harshly with No Nuke! songs

Enlightening me deeply, with word-crafted songs

Explaining Nuclear half life's with their words

Enlightening the World

Blogger's was strumming their brains

Yeah, they was looking to extend life

Encouraging us truthfully, Nuclear power is wrong

Killing monster reactors, eventually, with truth songs

Warning all of life with just songs words

Comforting the World softly, with truths songs

~Gasser Classic~

• name999 name999

wondering when you would post again…
      "comforting the World softly with truths songs"

• Shaker1

It should be noted also that the figures cited are related to ALL research in the stated fields. While Congress may have had its composure disturbed about this particular incident, it does not state what money is directly allocated to this incident. I did look at the original cited to read its content, then wondered if those allocations are all that much different than previous years and if so, how different. Searching the Congressional Record for previous years for comparison that may in fact be named differently than this particular one can be daunting. I admit, too, that I get side-tracked as my personal areas of interst in documents such as this are many. For example, of note to me personally, but off-topic, was that $347,000,000 is specifically allocated to just 20 MQ-9 Reaper drones…

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

not just that, Shaker1. I'm laughing at how they can't seem to find the money to test fish for rad-cons in Alaska, yet, seem to have no problem allocating hundreds-of-millions (promised, of course) to serve the needs of those who've – been – contaminated by radiation. Would it not be prudent to allocate a few million dollars from that budget towards testing of food stocks? Oh…forgot…I'm still on the planet of dumb fucking apes…

• newsblackoutUSA newsblackoutUSA

aftershock…great observation…"Would it not be prudent to allocate a few million dollars from that budget towards testing of food stocks?"

• Shaker1

I totally agree. The whole process gives one to wonder, doesn't it? For instance, I do wonder what all the people in the EPA who manage rad monitoring were doing and getting paid for while the monitors were down at the first stages of this. It rather amazes me that while we can find time to be so contentious that basic services dictated directly by nuclear policy past and present are compromised. By the way, the word 'disconcerting' not only has a definition of having one's composure disturbed, but also that one is 'thrown into confusion'. Sorry for the cynicism, but being 'disconcerted' may only be a statement of the general order of things, and not really a concrete statement of concern? Each time I personally attempt to suppress my cynical nature to imporve myself, confronted with what appears to be reality a quote from George Bernard Shaw comes to mind.

"To be cynical may be a sin, but it's rarely a mistake."

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

.. :) Now that was funny! I needed a good laugh! Spit up my coffee! :) Key board is gone and so is the screen now!

"Oh…forgot…I'm still on the planet of dumb fucking apes…"

• unincredulous unincredulous

On this planet of dumb fucking apes, I would like to see all that money just given to the soldiers, and to hell with the studies and crap. I would just kind of suspect that those kinds of studies could be half the reason these military men and women were sent into harms way in the first place. Sick twisted reasoning. Hell, study the effects of radiation…dumb fucking apes will be doing that until they figure out some other way to entertain themselves. Look how they studied syphilis. Infected people with it, and studied them. I say outlaw any study, just give them the money. That will teach those sick bastards.

• unincredulous unincredulous

…and look at the crappy radiation monitoring we have. Wouldn't that be the first step in any study? But no, they are not doing it, or not sharing it, anyway. Obviously, they just see it as some pork money for themselves. So why should taxpayers pay for more secret information that they will never see, anyway?

• artika rama

unincredilous On this planet of dumb fucking apes , we still have armies and weapons to kill and destroy . we are getting pretty good at it too . how stupid is that :)

• CodeShutdown CodeShutdown

"$347,000,000 is specifically allocated to just 20 MQ-9 Reaper drones" Hmmm a cool 17 million per each robotic killer. Sow death, reap death. But "karma" shows no proper discrimination, as the innocent will die, right along with the guilty

Military spending is on topic because the crazed, killer criminals are behind nuclear. Too out of touch to consider their actions, but so powerful they can ruin a planet

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Sailors got it first.

People on the mainland are next.

Only a matter of time.

• Nick

What if much of what we have been led to believe is bunk?

What if numerous diseases and mental conditions are an offshoot of excess radioactive toxins in the environment?

Not that the radiation per se is the cause, but an enabler, a catalyst of ill health.

Take diabetes…..

Depression….

Leukemia….

Pancreatic cancer…..

Prostate cancer….

Brain tumors….

I bet, with enough neutral funding, folks could find links to radiation (above background) in all of the above.

Even lung cancer (which may be triggered by inhaled radioactive particles from the air on from the direct combustion of materials)

The problem is…… NO ONE wants to admit how nasty human made radioactive wastes are.

• artika rama

nick But some of those ARE Nick ,, thats the main problem.
      I keep repeating a million times ,, radioactivity is not cancer ,, they are not the same thing ,, many diseases are caused by radioactivity ,, and some of those are on that list you made ,, thats what i am saying and cant seem to convince anyone .

Radioactivity is just in the ethiology of cancer ,, among lots of other diseases,,but somehow , even experts seem to confuse that .

• name999 name999

Nick, I suspect this has all been researched and proven, but that research is classified.

• nedlifromvermont

Yes Nick, What if … ?

Tobacco concentrates polonium, resident in the atmosphere from weapons testing and now FukuDaddy and Chernobyl … so there's a proof to your hypothesis … maybe Big tobacco wants to take it up and get back some of their $285 billion from Big Nuke?

Don't count on it …

• AirSepTech AirSepTech

We(mankind) must fix Fuku, at any cost.

We must address the resulting suffering, at any cost.

We must use alternatives to nuclear and reduce power demands.

I received my power bill today. The cost is fair, mostly produced by hydro. Made me think. I am not alone. 1 of 100,000,000 homes in just the USA. 20% of US power is nuclear. Tied to a 24/7 grid.

How do you slice this pie, without being a hypocrite?

Anything, everything that I consume requires power of some sort.
    The computer, bread, water, heat, natural gas, car, gasoline, clothes on my back, and the chair I sit on requires power.

20% of the power is nuclear. It is not likely existing alternatives can completely fill the void.

The US is projected for 30% population increase at 2050.
    100-130 million more people.
    20-30 million more homes???? More power, just one of many challenges

Conserve, inform, educate, and improve.

Much appreciation for this site and those on it

• Nick

code et al:

If so many sailors are sick, can we really, honestly say we have the best military on the planet?

Just what constitutes best anyway?

Sucking up a country's budget?

Fleecing millions out of honest pay?

Rendering vast areas of the globe uninhabitable?

The MIC has destroyed our planet. No shill can convince me otherwise.

Wars are not healthy for children or any other living thing. (only stock holders in certain industries benefit from warfare)

Warfare is passé. Why the hell aren't we spending money on grouting Fukushima????

• AirSepTech AirSepTech

War is wealth, and wealth is war.

Simple, you have it-I want it-fuck you.

2 year olds fight over shit. Parents try to remove the bad behavior.

It's in our DNA like no other creature. We struggle with it.

Most creatures just try to survive, it's struggle enough.

It's what we are. The need to be superior.

We love a good fight, and the spoils that go with it.

• newsblackoutUSA newsblackoutUSA

Nick…Ken Buesseler was in charge of nuclear safety for the troops at Fukushima, he was in the Army at the time. What does that tell you about everything he says now…no way is he going to admit the levels of radiation are hazardous.

Ken retired after 30 years in the Army, his loyalty is to the US military complex, not humanity.

• jec jec

So called 'Broken Arrow' events, like Spain, Greenland and others required US military personnel cleanup activities. THOSE people should join with the USS Reagan lawsuit. They have had time to develop full fledged issues from exposure. http://rense.com/general45/drop.htm.
    Has anyone realized the radiation in the Med seems to be increasing around the 1966 accident in Spain? I say 'seems' as no one is testing(where have we heard this before..??)

• zogerke zogerke