Title: Radioactive Water Imperils Fukushima Plant
Source: NY Times
Author: MARTIN FACKLER (Makiko Inoue and Matthew L. Wald)
Date: April 29, 2013
Radioactive Water Imperils Fukushima Plant
[...] the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is faced with a new crisis: a flood of highly radioactive wastewater that workers are struggling to contain.
Groundwater is pouring into the plant’s ravaged reactor buildings at a rate of almost 75 gallons a minute. It becomes highly contaminated there, before being pumped out to keep from swamping a critical cooling system. [...]
That quandary along with an embarrassing string of mishaps — including a 29-hour power failure affecting another, less vital cooling system — have underscored an alarming reality: two years after the meltdowns, the plant remains vulnerable to the same sort of large earthquake and tsunami that set the original calamity in motion. [...]
“Tepco is clearly just hanging on day by day, with no time to think about tomorrow, much less next year,” said Tadashi Inoue, an expert in nuclear power who served on a committee that drew up the road map for cleaning up the plant. [...]
See also: NYTimes: Fukushima plant unstable says official, concern another accident can't be prevented -- "Vulnerable... Very dangerous"
Published: April 29th, 2013 at 10:43 pm ET
- NYTimes: 400 tons of highly radioactive water going into Pacific each day from Fukushima plant, says Tepco — Top Nuclear Regulator: This is a crisis August 7, 2013
- NYTimes: Crisis underway at Fukushima plant, worker shortage — “Alcoholism is rampant” — Tepco base is selling the whiskey — Help wanted ad seeks employees “able to carry out a conversation” — Workers spray hose full of radioactive waste on themselves and others (VIDEO) March 18, 2014
- Fukushima plant hanging by its fingernails, about to fall off — Disaster is “warning to all of civilization” — “Gov’t & Tepco announce dates for completion, but no one really believes them… this is new territory” (VIDEO) March 9, 2014
- Japan TV: Alarming new discovery — Analysis reveals seriousness of contamination from Fukushima for first time — “Enormous amounts” of radioactive material released on day one of crisis, well before officials said — Plant Worker: “Readings were off the scale” (VIDEO) October 2, 2014
- Fukushima Daiichi worker thinks ground at plant causing construction delays and Tepco giving false explanations June 16, 2012