Title: Japan Quake in Nuclear Plant Area Stirs Brief Alarm
Source: New York Times
Author: HIROKO TABUCHI
Date: December 7, 2012
It was perhaps the surest sign that Japan remains unnerved by last year’s devastating earthquake and tsunami. After a large quake on Friday hit near the same area stricken last year, broadcasters on the public television network NHK threw aside their usual reserve to repeatedly issue worried warnings about tsunamis, with one host frantically urging people to “flee now to save your life!”
[...] The 7.3-magnitude quake that struck at 5:29 p.m. under the seabed off the northeast shore of Honshu, the country’s largest island, was the largest aftershock since immediately after last year’s quake, according to the National Earthquake Information Center in Colorado.
[...] On Thursday, a radiological cleanup worker helping to remove contaminated soil from Naraha, a town in Fukushima Prefecture that remains partially evacuated because of radiation fears, appeared not to be worried about storing bags of that dirt along the coastline.
The worker, who declined to give his name, brushed off questions over whether those bags might be torn in another tsunami. “There isn’t going to be another tsunami,” he said.
See also: "Especially Alarming": Giant quake of magnitude 8 or greater could soon strike Japan -- Gov't calls for 'continued vigilance'
Published: December 9th, 2012 at 6:19 pm ET
- Chicago Tribune Headline: ‘Fukushima quake/tsunami disturbed upper atmosphere’ -NASA June 2, 2012
- Fukushima Workers: Smoke was pouring out of Unit 1 before tsunami hit — “No doubt” quake crippled reactors — Could torpedo Japan’s attempts to restart nuclear plants (VIDEO) March 9, 2013
- NYTimes: Crisis underway at Fukushima plant, worker shortage — “Alcoholism is rampant” — Tepco base is selling the whiskey — Help wanted ad seeks employees “able to carry out a conversation” — Workers spray hose full of radioactive waste on themselves and others (VIDEO) March 18, 2014
- Fukushima Workers: Plant ‘set to collapse’ from another quake or tsunami — “Critically vulnerable… completely fragile” March 9, 2013
- Film: High radiation alarm went off at another Fukushima nuclear plant before tsunami hit (VIDEO) March 14, 2013