Obama Ordered Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran
New York Times
June 1, 2012
From his first months in office, President Obama secretly ordered increasingly sophisticated attacks on the computer systems that run Iran’s main nuclear enrichment facilities
In the summer of 2010, shortly after a new variant of the worm had been sent into Natanz [Iran's nuclear power plant], it became clear that the worm, which was never supposed to leave the Natanz machines, had broken free, like a zoo animal that found the keys to the cage.
When the engineer left Natanz and connected the computer to the Internet, the American- and Israeli-made bug failed to recognize that its environment had changed. It began replicating itself all around the world.
“We think there was a modification done by the Israelis,” one of the briefers told the president, “and we don’t know if we were part of that activity.”
Mr. Obama, according to officials in the room, asked a series of questions, fearful that the code could do damage outside the plant. The answers came back in hedged terms. Mr. Biden fumed. “It’s got to be the Israelis,” he said. “They went too far.”
Published: June 2nd, 2012 at 1:39 pm ET
- Genetic mutations from radiation exposure are up to 100 times higher than anything we have encountered in the animal kingdom -Dr. Fernex, Former WHO Consultant July 31, 2012
- Nuclear Expert: World’s food chain being compromised by radioactive substances from Fukushima Daiichi? Levels “unexpectedly high” in California bluefin tuna (AUDIO) July 15, 2012
- FRCSR Alert: Fukushima peaches on sale outside Japan September 6, 2012
- Sakamoto: “Mankind cannot live in this world with nuclear energy” July 4, 2012
- Japan stuns World Cup champs Spain at Olympics — Among country’s greatest wins ever (VIDEO) July 27, 2012