Title: The Next Chernobyl?
Source: New York Times Op-Ed
Authors: Gary M. Sandquist, professor emeritus of mechanical and nuclear engineering at the University of Utah.; Khosrow B. Semnani, author
Date: Jan 2, 2013
[...] haphazard planning and ongoing technical problems mean [Iran's Bushehr nuclear power plant] could be the next Chernobyl, igniting a humanitarian disaster and explosive economic damage across the oil-rich region.
[...] Bushehr sits on an active fault line, raising the risks of a Fukushima-type catastrophe. Unless action is taken, the likelihood of an accident is far too high for the international community to ignore.
[...] Iran simply lacks the civil preparedness capabilities to respond to a tragedy on the scale of Chernobyl or Fukushima. [...]
The I.A.E.A. should focus on the safety of the Bushehr plant with the same eye for detail that it uses to detect any weaponization program. Hundreds of thousands of lives depend on it, as do world oil markets, the global economy, and the world’s collective security.
See also: NYTimes Front Page: Computer worm used by U.S. to attack nuclear facilities 'had broken free, like a zoo animal that found the keys to the cage' -- In 2010 'it began replicating itself all around the world'
Published: January 2nd, 2013 at 5:26 pm ET
- NBC News: ‘Devastating’ quake strikes near nuclear plant (VIDEO) April 9, 2013
- “Seawater is being poisoned at a continuous rate” from Fukushima plant — Source of life on which our lives depend is being corrupted September 9, 2013
- NYTimes Front Page: Computer worm used by U.S. to attack nuclear facilities ‘had broken free, like a zoo animal that found the keys to the cage’ — In 2010 ‘it began replicating itself all around the world’ June 2, 2012
- NYTimes: “Enormous orange flash” seen around suspected nuclear site as mysterious explosion rocks one of world’s largest cities — US Gov’t: We are “monitoring the situation closely” — Reports: Windows broken 9 miles away, all trees burned over large area (PHOTO) October 6, 2014
- AP: IAEA inspectors at Iranian nuclear facility say no explosion -Source January 29, 2013