Title: Spud talks w/Joe Harrison about the sinkhole
Source: WWL AM 870
Date: February 14, 2013
At 2:15 in
Louisiana State Representative Joe Harrison: We just started, I requested that we put a ring levee around the existing hole a couple months ago. We finally started doing that about a week and a half ago to be able to contain all of these chemicals that are coming out. Because they’re going out in the marsh which goes out into our waterways and we could have potential fish kills and God only knows what else, because they haven’t been able to identify all the chemicals that are coming out of the ground.
Host: Why? Are they just all mixed in together because it’s hard to separate them? What’s the number guess now, there are 40-50 different types of chemicals coming out, or are the mixing together and making other ones?
Harrison: It’s actually the chemical compounds are mixing together, they’re actually doing DNA testing to try to get a link as to where they could potentially come from, because there are a number of caverns in that area. […]
This was very volatile chemicals that were going through a lot of these lines that were running all throughout the area. So it’s a lot more complicated than just the hole.
Published: February 19th, 2013 at 9:52 am ET
- Official: Chemicals coming up at Louisiana sinkhole “could be leaching from actually below the cavern itself” — May also be from “surrounding caverns in that area” (AUDIO) February 19, 2013
- Radio: New levee around giant sinkhole to eventually collapse? — Official: “It’s kind of frightening we don’t have a handle on this thing” (AUDIO) February 19, 2013
- Report: Residents near Arkansas oil spill with chemical burns, gastrointestinal problems, extreme fatigue — 30 toxic chemicals at high levels — 88,000 ppb of hydrocarbons in air May 1, 2013
- Sinkhole: “Gas is coming out of the ground everywhere… a massive amount” — Only 7 seconds of new flyover footage (VIDEO) September 21, 2012
- Radio: Tests indicate Minnesota pelicans exposed to contamination in Gulf — Concern for what it could do to population — Dispersant chemicals in 1/3 of birds — Official: ‘Really interesting’ results coming in December 1, 2012