Published: November 18th, 2012 at 5:33 pm ET

Title: Bayou Corne Resident Meeting With La. State Representatives
Published: rainbeaudais
Published: Nov. 10, 2012

At 1:03:00 in

Louisiana State Representative Joe Harrison: The guy was looking over my shoulder and I turned my book over and said, “‘Who are you?” He told me and said, “I’m the geologist.”

He should have been the one in the front of the room. [The Texas Brine Company] never told anybody in there that he was sitting on the side. And this is the guy that knew everything that was going on. And he hasn’t, they don’t let him, they haven’t let him come back. [...] The man has never been back. I’ve tried to call the office and ask if I could speak to him. That has not happened. [...]

He even said things that night that have never been repeated. I guess he just spoke out of turn and was reigned in and not allowed to be here. This is their chief geologist. This is the guy who knew. He wanted to walk up there and answer the questions that the vice president of marketing was up there talking about [...]

And I asked the head, one of the other vice president’s, it looked like the head guys and he wouldn’t give me a [business] card. He wouldn’t give me his card. [...]

The geologist has never been back here. That is the question that needs to be answered. Why?

Watch the video here

Published: November 18th, 2012 at 5:33 pm ET

1. Geologist: Giant sinkhole is now 13 acres — Subsidence zone more than 20 (VIDEO) March 20, 2013
  2. Geologist: 50 to 100 million cubic feet of gas in aquifer near giant sinkhole (VIDEO) December 19, 2012
  3. Officials: Giant sinkhole growing in a way “that could not have been predicted”? — “A lot of heads are being put together as we speak” June 5, 2013
  4. Official: Calls to my office ‘going crazy’ about tremors in areas far away from giant sinkhole — Resident: “A lot of big quakes everywhere, like big ones” — USGS says it’s not happening (VIDEO) November 14, 2012
  5. AP: Official says suffocation risk at giant Louisiana sinkhole — Spewing gas could cause explosion hazard (VIDEO) July 23, 2013

55 comments to Official: Chief geologist not allowed to speak about giant sinkhole — This guy knew everything — The question is why? (VIDEO)

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

That ST Jermain lady does nothing but interrupt speakers and get in the way of the truth. Why in the world does the community put up with her crap. She can't even finish a sentence. Always seems like she would rather be anywhere but there. They need a new representative and fast!

• markww markww

She also wanted the video camera turned off so no one could hear the meeting.

Markww

• Zombie_Planet

I guess there are things we just don't talk about.
    I mean after all, you don't really believe that
    head corporate gives a damn about the truth, do you.
    I'm trying to find my manual on how to be a good sheep
    but must have misplaced it. Guess I'll watch more TV.

• pcjensen

she needs to be spoken to about public meeting law. tax payer money and all.

• Maggie123

Timemachine, MarkWW, pcjensen – I'm unclear on reason for criticism of whichever person annoys you. Is the 'St. Jermain lady' the one sharing the stage? I listened to whole meeting yesterday but as audio – didn't watch. Early I heard someone (presumably woman on stage, an elected Rep.?) say something like: "Some of you called this meeting, did you also mean for it to be recorded?" Voices generally answered words to effect – "yes, we do – we want it available".

I thought it a question meant to assure clear authority to the community, to not assume authority due to 'status' as a Rep. (I'd have been mighty unhappy if community had answered "Yes, we want this to be private" and felt extra satisfaction that "whole community, present or not" was the plan!)

RE the portion emphasized in headline for this thread – I'm so glad Admin or someone 'flagged' it. That the head geologist was once available, seemed to want to share info, and is now no longer avail seems pretty important. (Somehow, I guess since the meeting was long and I was doing other stuff, I didn't catch 'missing geologist' when I heard it.)

(Also, on my point of meeting length: The minutes when things sidetracked to everyone talking at once were typical of a gathering where there's a lot to consider in my experience. A formal 'chair' with gavel would have squelched need of community to informally consult and share impressions widely while resource people were still avail, IMO.)

(??)

• Radio VicFromOregon

I dunno either. In Oregon, most folks tend to see our representatives as actual human beings rather than kicking bags, culprits, and the embodiment of all things evil.

• pcjensen

I'm making note based on Mark's comment that she wanted "the video camera turned off so no one could hear the meeting." – I'm hoping Mark has some first hand knowledge or clear audio that demonstrates she wanted no recording. If indeed she wanted to keep the meeting private, there is a problem.

• Ibuiltthis Ibuiltthis

As Irhologram mentions below….it's in the video!

• Maggie123

Thanks, pcjensen – although I doubt either of us or maybe anyone has stayed focused on this. I just felt someone should 'pipe up' as what I heard didn't seem to merit strong annoyance. What I heard was someone saying: "A few of you called this meeting, do you want it recorded?" Right away people said "Yes, we do". Then whomever (St. Jermain?) repeated a variation of her question an time or maybe two – I took it to mean she wanted to be fully clear. "Minutes" used when people are talking are surprisingly brief. I've not re-checked and won't bother but if it was even a full 60sec I'd be surprised.

I didn't take it as an effort to persuade to turning off camera. The meeting was barely started, it sounded to me like the kind of "fiddly preliminary" talk that sometimes happens as participants focus in. I could be wrong but to me it seemed unimportant – it's not like she returned again and again to the question. Once community made absolutely clear their intent for camera on – it never came up again. :)

• JHewes76 JHewes76

I don't understand. Why is Texas Brine allowed to call the shots at this point? B.P. is STILL calling the shots. Insane.

• sentinelle sentinelle

Because these same companies have also set themselves up, or their subsidiaries, as the businesses that benefit from the clean-up. They are also about the only businesses that have the equipment to do the clean-up work. Cleaning up these messes is good business for them.

• ML

John Gofman, PhD MD is vindicated by this research. He is attributed with stating decades ago that there is no safe level of radiation, including x-rays.
    If more people can share this article, we will get that much closer to deconstructing the nuclear myth played upon the world's seemingly ignorant public.

• Radio VicFromOregon

5 words, 1 reason – Koch Brothers own Texas Brine.

• Stephengn

Hi, i'm from louisiana and know the way things work in the oil industry down here. This guy had to sign a "non disclosure " agreement when he started working for the company. If he talks, not oly will he lose his job, but he would also get sued and never be able to work as an oil geologist again at ANY company.

Everything has to wait until it gets into the courts

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi Stephengn

Thank you for that information. I didn't know that. Was wondering why the guy that knows all wasn't telling. I can't imagine knowing something this serious and can't say a word.
      I would be in so much trouble, because I would spill it and tell it like it is.

• Maggie123

Stevengn – Unfortunately, what you say makes more sense than any other explanation. I was hoping for a whistle-blower along lines of Wendell Potter. Potter left his PR-VP Cigna position and has worked hard to expose inside workings of US health insurers. But Potter had an epiphany experience – holiday trip to his old stomping grounds (Appalachia?) and decided to visit one of the annual free health care clinics held typically in livestock fair pavilions. He'd never checked out one of those clinics. The contrast between his life (company jet outfitted with gold-plate table ware) and lives of people for whom he had great affection was too much – shook him up. Maybe the missing engineer will yet find his way to daylight.

• Radio VicFromOregon

Thx, Stephengn. It's always frustrating to hear that money trumps informing the public, but, i think you're right, and it probably works that way lots of places now. Everything is viewed from the point of lawsuits and settlements.

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

I think that someone needs to write a law that makes "non-disclosure" illegal whenever it is an issue of public health and public safety IN EVERY CASE! And … IN EVERY STATE. I'm sick of these jerks basically gettng away with murder – and near-murder. Where are the lawyers who work for the good guys when you need them?

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

There needs to be a radiation monotoring station installed at the sinkhole area. Several would be ideal. They have already admitted to high radiation levels months ago and not another word. The last samples they took were from an airplane which is not accurate and I think done deliberately. They admittedly have dumped radioactive drilling rig waste in some of those salt domes and I have a bad feeling that there may be nuclear waste in some as well. After researching quite extensively I have also discovered that the government has long advocated for nuclear waste products to be stored in salt domes. There also is a nuclear plant 30 miles from this sinkhole towards New Orleans. To much at stake here for this area of concern not to be addressed. If you live in that area or know someone that does, please insist on this to your community leaders that this be done immediately.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Goelogists are land formation experts they can't help with the radiation situation. Only independant scientists can reveal the truth. Dr. Helen Caldicott would know who to recommend but that makes too much sense.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

The local residents of Bayou Corne and Assumption Parrish must put pressure on their elected officials to insist that radiation monotoring by independant experts by put in place. The evidence of radioactive contamination has already been proven, admitted and published which is reason enough to insist on it. Independant non related to the oil companies or any form of government branches will be the only way to find out the truth. There is more going on that is being reported for sure.

• Usefulbreather

It has been almost seven months. These people are withholding information, using stall tactics and disinformation to string these residents along until the whole thing blows, along with any evidence as to whom is responsible, and eveyone involved will just be baffled by the total mystery behind it all until it vanishes from the headlines, just like so many Cypress Trees vanishing into the cavern.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

There is a line of incidents as the crow flies starting with the Deep Water Horizon explosion / oil spill, the oil rig explosion of 2 weeks ago, this latest production platform explosion and the Bayou Corne sinkhole. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to wonder if in fact they are all connected and set off by the Deepwater BP blowout to begin with. They were awful quick to admit their guilt on that settlement last week with the understanding that they would be given immunity from further fines. Sucks that all those billions went to the government and not to the victims.

• Usefulbreather

You left one thing out of the line of incidents as the crow flies. Since the BP Spill there have been a number of strange marsh fires East of New Orleans in the direction of the BP Well. These fires have the Fire Department "vexed," are unable to be extinquished for multiple reasons including lack of equipment and inaccessiblity to the fire. The worst fire ocurred before and during Tropical Storm Lee which dumped inches of rain on the area and still failed to extinguish the blaze. The fires are being left to flare, er um, burn themselves out. The smoke is described as acrid…like you would expect from burning hydrocarbons seeping to the surface. We get them on a regular basis now and no explanation or solution has yet been provided to the public…only air quality warnings when the smoke is at its worst.

• jec jec

Fires in peat bogs are difficult to put out…we have them in North Carolina..lots of smelly smoke for almost a whole summer. However..we had a CAUSE of the fire..a campfire. Hope that is what has happened in LA and Mississippi fires. It would be better for us all, a man-made fire. NOT a methane gas fire from underground…

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Sorry I misspelled GEOLOGIST – My dad would be pissed he was one.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

@usefulbreather – you are correct – I knew I was overlooking something, along with the fires and the toxic gas bubbleing in the bayou's.

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

@usefulbreather – if my fears become confirmed and they discover that there is indeed toxic nuclear waste in some of those saltdome caverns it would make sense why the government is assisting in the smokescreens being put up by the oil companies as they may have opened pandoras box and do not wan't the public to discover their dirty deeds down there.

• irhologram

Of course Mark W has proof St. Germaine wanted the cameras off, and went ON and ON about it for several minutes. It's in the video that is the subject of this story…and so all you have to do BEFORE you comment on a story is …um. …have reviewed the story.