Title: Abe mum on plan for contaminated water crisis
Source: The Japan Times
Author: Reiji Yoshida
Date: Sep 19, 2013
[...] Abe repeated the controversial remarks [he made to the Olympic committee] almost word for word, saying the “effects from the contaminated water have been perfectly blocked within the bay.”
“By stating this clearly, I want to bring an end to harmful rumors about Fukushima,” he asserted. [...]
“During the presentation for the Olympic Games, Prime Minister Abe told a lie,” Teruhiko Mashiko, an Upper House member and vice president of the Democratic Party of Japan, said during a recent interview in Tokyo.
“This is a big problem. The government should invest more people, money and technologies to turn their lies into truths,” Mashiko, who represents Fukushima Prefecture, said in an interview with The Japan Times. [...]
Mashiko said residents of Fukushima, in particular those in the fishery industry, have developed a deep distrust of Tepco, which has made it even harder for the utility to handle the crisis.
[...] Others say they can’t even trust Tepco to release accurate information, Mashiko said. [...]
See also: Japan Times: Prime Minister telling "outright lie"? -- Experts: Nuclear material "has kept gushing into Pacific far beyond man-made bay" -- Fukushima fisherman: "He must be kidding... he doesn't know what's going"
Published: September 20th, 2013 at 11:30 am ET
- Former Prime Minister of Japan: We’ve been lied to, nuclear experts lying to us… They’ve been telling a pack of lies — Governor: Tepco needs to reveal who gave orders to lie about Fukushima meltdowns (VIDEO) January 16, 2014
- Former Diplomat: Fukushima disaster “to go on almost to infinity, I’m afraid” — Official: “It will never be resolved” if situation at plant continues — Bloomberg: Prime Minister told by his own party “Japan’s response is failing” (AUDIO) November 3, 2013
- AFP: Tepco spells Japan Prime Minister’s name wrong during Fukushima visit and had him wear it — “We are very sorry” — “They can’t even check on something as trivial as this” September 20, 2013
- Anonymous Japan Official: We must prepare for Fukushima radioactive leakage into ocean becoming ‘drawn out’ — Prime Minister: “The future of Japan” is at stake September 22, 2013
- Official wept at prime minister’s office: “I’m sorry, we’ve tried… but we are in a situation beyond our control” at Fukushima — Hours Later: “People’s blood ran cold”… “Huge hole” suspected to have opened up in No. 2 Reactor August 25, 2014