The Haida Nation’s 2013 House of Assembly, Dec. 2013: With ongoing and increased concerns about the aftermath of the 2011 nuclear disaster in Japan, and considering our reliance on seafood here on Haida Gwaii, the Council of the Haida Nation will look at ways to work with the provincial and federal governments to request that the Japanese government provide open and honest updates on the nuclear waste leaching into the Pacific Ocean.
Tahltan Central Council, Jan. 14, 2014: Because of growing concerns throughout the Tahltan Nation regarding negative impacts the Fukushima nuclear disaster has on our fisheries (specifically salmon), TCC President Annita McPhee emails National Chief Atleo seeking action to ensure that the full measure of potential impacts is being systematically and properly studied, and everything is done within the power of our Nations, as well as Canada, to ensure that our salmon are saved.
Message to National Chief Atleo from Tahltan Central Council President Annita McPhee: I am writing to inform you of growing concerns the Tahltan Nation has regarding potential impacts of the Fukushima nuclear disaster on our fisheries and salmon in particular. We are concerned about consuming fish that may have been impacted by radiation and getting cancer or other illnesses as a result. [...] The Fukushima disaster is unlike others that humanity has experienced before. [...] We do know, however, that low-level radiation has been reported in fishery stocks. As well, sockeye salmon stocks had a devastating year. We cannot sit by and watch and wait to see what the full impacts of the Fukushima disaster will be on our salmon and our way of life. Co-ordinated action needs to be taken to ensure that the full measure of potential impacts is being systematically and properly studied, and everything is done within the power of our Nations, as well as Canada, to ensure that our salmon are saved. To date, we have not seen or heard of Canada taking this issue seriously and working in a real way to address it. We would ask that you, in your capacity as National Chief, raise this critical issue at the highest levels of the Federal Government, and demand action. [...]
Published: January 20th, 2014 at 3:34 pm ET
- “We’re Alarmed”: Chunks missing from bodies of salmon from Pacific — Lesions in over 50% of fish being reported — Experts: “Looks like traumatic insult… followed by bacterial invasions”; Investigating for pathogens — Wounds this significant must impact ability to survive (PHOTO) August 31, 2014
- Fukushima radiation contaminates West Coast fish — “Fears the country’s food chain is polluted… a terrifying discovery” — Scientist: “It appears plume has spread throughout vast area from Alaska to California” — CBS: Bulk of radiation has yet to make it’s way across Pacific (VIDEO) January 10, 2017
- Physician in Canada on Cancer Estimates: Epidemic of Fukushima radiation-related deaths from consuming Pacific fish? “Vast implications for human health” — “I eat so much salmon… I’m vulnerable” October 3, 2013
- Gov’t declares “disaster” over diseased and dying fish on US West Coast — “Sudden, unexpected large decreases” in population — Scientists “mystified… stumped” — Officials: “Environmental disaster… Devastating… Alarming… Dire” (VIDEO) January 29, 2017
- National Geopraphic: Fears are mounting that Fukushima radiation could lead to dangerous contamination levels in seafood from Pacific — At least for now fish are not glowing so ‘eat up’! September 12, 2013