Published: May 21st, 2014 at 1:03 am ET

KOAT, May 20, 2014: 500 WIPP barrels of questionable nuclear waste packed with kitty litter — New Mexico environment officials said more than 500 barrels of waste from Los Alamos National Laboratory were packed with the kitty litter suspected of causing a chemical reaction and radiation release [...] In addition to 369 containers at the dump, environment officials said 57 more are still at Los Alamos and more than 100 are in storage in West Texas.

AP, May 20, 2014: New Mexico: 500 barrels of questionable nuke waste [...] packed with the kitty litter suspected of causing a chemical reaction and radiation release at the nation’s underground nuclear waste dump. Environment Secretary Ryan Flynn Tuesday gave the U.S. Department of Energy and the contractor that runs [WIPP] until Friday to detail plans for permanently sealing the underground rooms where more than 300 barrels of the potentially dangerous containers of waste are stored.

KRQE, May 21, 2014: New Mexico Environment Department issued a new order to WIPP to make sure material suspected of causing February’s radiation leak is secure and not causing a health or environmental threat. The same order was issued to Los Alamos National Lab [...] Tuesday’s order also calls for the feds to come up with an action plan to close the rooms that contain nitrate salt-bearing containers [...]

National Journal, May 20, 2014: New Mexico Sees ‘Imminent’ Danger From Nuclear-Waste Barrels [...] New Mexico Environment Secretary Ryan Flynn gave Los Alamos National Laboratory until Wednesday to propose steps for locking down the [...] barrels, which it packed using materials tied to a burst container in an underground area of [WIPP].

See also: Expert: 'Cracked' nuclear container "blew top off" at WIPP -- Hundreds more drums at dump risk 'energetic reaction' and radiation release -- Insider: Get forklift and remove them before another accident -- Official: No 'imminent' public threat 'at this time' (VIDEO)

Published: May 21st, 2014 at 1:03 am ET

1. CBS News: “Potential ‘imminent’ threat from New Mexico nuclear waste” — Official: Risk of “substantial endangerment” to public health — 57 barrels of nuclear waste could rupture, came from multiple gov’t labs — ‘Unclear’ how many are now at WIPP — Being monitored for rise in temperature (VIDEO) May 20, 2014
  2. Experts: Gov’t may never stabilize hundreds of explosive drums of radioactive waste stored at WIPP — Nuclear dump now at risk of closing permanently — Ruined for good by kitty litter? (AUDIO) May 23, 2014
  3. AP: Ticking time bombs of nuclear waste at multiple U.S. sites? Lab checking for smoking drums — CNN: “Imminent threat from radiation” — Gundersen: Serious public health effects if one blows; “Very, very volatile… like nitroglycerin” (VIDEO) May 23, 2014
  4. Expert: ‘Cracked’ nuclear container “blew top off” at WIPP — Hundreds more drums at dump risk ‘energetic reaction’ and radiation release — Insider: Get forklift and remove them before another accident — Official: No ‘imminent’ public threat ‘at this time’ (VIDEO) May 19, 2014
  5. Top Science Journal: “Time bombs” at WIPP nuclear site? “High alert over risk of new explosions” in hundreds of plutonium-contaminated drums — AP: 4 years may be needed just to seal off area where drums stored — Experts go down to check if ground ‘still stable’ (VIDEO) May 31, 2014

103 comments to Officials now admit over 500 barrels of nuclear waste at risk of bursting open — AP: 368 already at WIPP dump — “New Mexico sees ‘imminent’ danger” — State orders WIPP to prevent “health or environmental threat”; Must ‘permanently seal’ underground storage areas

• sistahawk

LIARS'N'IDIOTS.. here we go again…try to protect the enviroment from Plutonium with Kittylitter..the best thing to do is line them all up who are responsible for this mess and give them a spoonful to chew..sure they feel fantastic after this good medicine..

• behappy1

State orders WIPP to prevent “health or environmental threat”,

Really

what a concept, problem solved
    maybe Japan should do the same

more laws will not only fix the problem,
    but
    will prevent this in the future
    lol

Stop making more waste

• Sickputer

"State demands that DOE seal two rooms at WIPP"

"How and when WIPP closes the underground panels has been a long-running issue that predates the facility’s current woes, said Don Hancock, a nuclear waste expert at Albuquerque’s Southwest Research and Information Center.

Panels one, two and five are each sealed with a 12-foot concrete explosion isolation wall, while panels three and four are closed with a steel bulkhead and lack the explosion isolation wall.

“DOE has been saying the more robust requirements were unnecessary,” Hancock said. “A bulkhead keeps people from going in and out, and it doesn’t totally cut off but restricts the air flow supply. That’s not going to be sufficient.”

SP: The feds are finding out what state rights really are when things go really bad on federal projects.

• lam335 lam335

In the eyes of DOE, states have no rights. They're nothing but dumping grounds for the radioactive excrement they produce in their national laboratories.

And because of the jobs issue at sites like WIPP, many state politicians aren't even willing to stand up for the long-term best interests of the state.

Only attentive citizens might be concerned with what is genuinely in the best interests of their state, but unfortunately most citizens are so caught up in their own personal lives that they don't pay attention to or care about issues like this … So it's really hard for the few concerned citizens who are paying attention to get enough of a critical mass (pardon the phrase) to be able to overcome the stronger forces of inertia and successfully change things.

• We Not They Finally

Oh, the great jungle cry of "states' rights." In 2000, states were even denied the right to tally their own citizens' votes. No one who recklessly spews plutonium cares about ANYONE'S rights.

• VanneV VanneV

WIPP Update; 500 Barrels At Risk, State Demands Immediate Actions At WIPP
    May 21st, 2014
    “The state of New Mexico Environmental Department is demanding WIPP seal up panel 6 and also panel 7, room 7 where the incident happened within 10 days to eliminate what they consider to be a risk to the public. Some in the federal govt. questioned the state’s authority to do this. There has not been any review yet of potential adverse consequences of doing this.
    “It was admitted that some of the barrels in questions are residing at the WCS waste facility in Texas. The company says they have separated the barrels from other waste they are holding for WIPP and that they are video monitoring it. They did not disclose any containment effort to prevent a radiation release if a barrel fails or explodes.
    “Reports yesterday included statements from Los Alamos about moving suspect barrels under ‘domes’ with fire suppression systems. These domes as described on this page from Los Alamos are: ‘domes made of fabric stretched on metal ribbing.’
    “Associated Press is also now disclosing that a total of 500 barrels were packed with the suspect ‘organic kitty litter”’ and are considered at risk. 368 of these suspect barrels are at WIPP, 100 are at WCS in Texas and 57 are at Los Alamos.”

Includes an aerial photo.

• Ontological Ontological

It's no wonder when we flew over WIPP last week, people on board the aircraft began to hack, choke and sneeze outta the blue. Glad I used oxygen and a filter. Strangest waves I have ever seen over Carlsbad at 35k feet. No doubt they were alpha partials. I was so sick last couple nights my ribs feel like someone beat me with a baseball bat. My wife was sick a few days ago. No explanation other than the flight from hell coming home. Cesium is concentrating in huge pockets , mixing with super cell storms. I have also never felt so dizzy in all my life, even with syncope. We North American plate dwellers are all getting WIPPin FUKUed.

• Ontological, I am flying over that area on Thursday from LA to Dallas. What type of filter did you use? Thanks.

• Angela_R

Ontological, I may be misunderstanding but at 35,000 feet I estimate the ionizing radiation would be around 200-250urad/hour. See http://www.spaceweather.com, enter the date 17th may in archive and half way down the page, check out Radiation vs Altitude on graph.

• dunkilo

Angela_R,i saw that too .Seems to me (im no rocket surgeon)but when you fly ,you get dosed.Used to like to fly,forget that shi…stuff!Never again.

• Ontological Ontological

Readings were 960 CPM over the site on a GMC 300E if that is of any help. Other places were 840ish, all east of the WIPP site. Higher over the WIPP area, and then 860ish west of there. I have posting software in the mail, soon I hope to post some of the info I have worked on over the last 3 years. Light scattering pink sky theory, complete with careful solar spectral data and photos, Air readings and wave photos, also mass deaths and potential causes etc. My "Fukushima Diaries, a History of Doom" is a real eye opener. but it will take me a while to upload all this stuff.

• Ontological Ontological

Also to other questions, I use a good sealing virus filter for dust, flu etc. I was lucky I had papers for oxygen use from a concentrator. The actual alpha particles in the air will burn peoples throats A_R what I was referring to as to people choking etc. Not so much the rads. Issue is and they do NOT want us to know is there is the POISON ELEment atoms(isotopes) in WITH the radiation. This fact almost killed me last year.
          Why I am so passionate to debunk the it is not here yet propaganda.

• Angela_R

Hi Ontological, I am not an astronomer, but have been following certain aspects of celestial movements for some time. I do not know how to convert uRad/hr to other measurements and it appears to do some depends on a number of factors.

Suffice it to say that the graph showed the maximum radiation to be approx. 420uRad/hr at an altitude of 78,000 feet; this reading was said to be 28 times stronger than at ground level. From that, my maybe too simple deduction places your reading around 14 times ground level.

I understand that the equipment only tested for gamma radiation, beta and alpha rays were not identified. The maximum dose was NOT in the outlying stratosphere, but in the tropopause; an explanation was provided. The article termed it 'cosmic' radiation. However gamma rays come from a number of sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation

• Angela_R

sorry failed to edit…
              'it appears to depend on a number of factors'
              …..
              the rough calculation of 14 times ground level, was not taken from your CPM, but from the graph shown on 17 May.

• Ontological Ontological

For it to be so cold, and so 'hot' at 35k feet was my observation. We had to fly LOW and SLOW around MANY storms that night. Normally they fly right over such weather. It was too cold at 43k feet, and the storms towered to 60k feet+!
                I feel blessed to have flown on such a harrowing flight! NO one had a CLUE is how scary it actually was. More proof of ignorance is bliss but really now! My wife was an angel for a little old lady who would have lost all her money without her caring to be sure she got her tiny purse back from her wheelchair they brought her to the gate in.
                I have flow MANY times and I fly awake and observant, due to my right side affliction from surgery I protect the right side by sitting at a window every time I fly. So I see things and photo things I know are not usually normal. I hope to post my atmospheric, lunar, and solar observations online soon.

• melting mermaid melting mermaid

The other day we were outside and it was a beautiful day. There was this one cloud that looked, I don't know how to describe it, maybe like it had been vibrated, like if you look at a tv close up, fractured. All the other clouds were normal. It was weird. It made me think I was in the matrix. Oh God, our poor, precious atmosphere. Who would take such a risk? Now I see why the gods punished Prometheus so cruelly. We're too irresponsible for such power. We probably killed off our entire species just to overpower various swaths of it. But then I think maybe, hopefully natures ability to adapt is even more mind- boggling than our stupidity. It's a mental habit to think man is a distinct, definable creature. We are not. We have been molded by environmental stresses and breeding successes and succumbing to genetic mutations for spans of time to vast to imagine. Perhaps we'll mutate our way out of this. Perhaps not. Only time will tell. I'm sorry for rambling, I've been writing this paragraph for an hour. Take care, enenewsers.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

@Ontological; Hopefully I will actually get to hit the "Submit Comment"button this time as I'd fully intended a dozen times before but always had something come up or I realized that I'd typed something so angrily,threatening & even worse,TRUE,that it'd be sure to have my loved ones also added to the next level of the nuke-puke PTB's "shitlist" before I'm able to complete important items on my "bucket list" & to "prepare" for the dark days that lie ahead for ALL!Not this time though!,The incompetent,homicidal,nuke-puke cowards have gone too far now for me to be concerned with fictional delusions of "miraculous,world-saving technologies & acts"(by mortal "human" processes,powers that is!)& now that I'm again minus the sliver of hope I'd held for humanity when I look at the true status of the nuke-puke infrastructure & hopelessly escalating damages from which we and the rest of Earthly life forms cannot EVER possibly recover from as your MANY posts here has so factually,dismally points out & reflects the foul nature of Big Nuke,the Little Pukes & ALL Poison For Profit Industries that nurture & prey on the disgusting,mass public apathy their lies & blood money spawned.Our thoughts,prayers & best wishes to you & yours as you are far from alone in your ordeal with your cancer that like ours,cannot be "proven"linked to 311/Fukushima,but like you we KNOW that it IS!!Thanks for posting exactly what I wish I could but get too angry, overwhelmed & poisoned by…

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

cont'd, "poisoned by hatred of their technology & kind!! :(

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

p.s.,I'd hang around & probably get myself in more "hot" water,but will return with more & an update on other items of interest(to some)when we return from having my wife's portacatheter "flushed" of any obstructions or contaminants before the next scheduled round of chemo begins…maybe the waiting room/triage will have at least one open chair for my wife this time but I kinda doubt it??!! :( Take care ALL!-I feel like maybe I should bid you all farewell EVERY time I post now since I can't help but feel like it could very well be the last time I may get the chance to(?)!!…..

• sistahawk

Ontological , i hope you and your wife get healthy again ..better not fly there again,_look at it from satelite

• byron byron

How to locate recent satellite view of this area? Apple and Google are old maps. What direction and distance from what city or what highway intersection nearby to look at an old satellite map?

• Uranium_Mountain Uranium_Mountain

So what they'll do now is hurry and ship every toxin they can stuff in those rooms, fill them and seal them. Then wipe their hands free of this incident and resume operations creating new rooms. Of course they'll also pat themselves on the back for a job well done handling the crisis they created. Any secret shit they don't want anyone to know about? Stuff it in there too. After all, who's going to look in there for the evidence?
    I figure they will hurriedly move any waste currently in Texas or Los Alamos and get it to WIPP ASAP. Hope the movement/vibrations on the trucks don't cause a rupture. They'll move it at night so no one knows. Shhhhhh

• rogerthat

''plans for permanently sealing the underground rooms where more than 300 barrels of the potentially dangerous containers of waste are stored''

- that's how you make a bigger bomb: place 368 (large) barrels of unstable explosive material mixed with plutonium together in a sealed container, so when one goes off it perhaps triggers a much larger explosion as 368 barrels of this stuff experience ''an energetic chemical reaction''.
    If you're an insurance agent in town, are you going to sell life and health cover to the 1200 people who work there? Are you going to sell life and health cover to the people who live downwind?
    Just askin', how would i know, it just seems to me an odd notion. With a teaspoon of petrol, a spark plug and a sealed five gallon drum you might perhaps achieve a practical demonstration of what happens when things go pop and the explosion has nowhere to go. Warning. DO NOT try this!!

• sistahawk

does anybody know that these disposals (and the plants of course)are not insured at all , no insurance will ever take on sutch a risk..you drive your car without one and you are really in the crap. makes no sense to me..and by the way maybe we can help with some ducktape and some dirt to cover it afterwards..it will be save..trust us..the more i think the furios i become..

• dunkilo

again the government lied through their f-ing teeth.I think its past time to kick the bums out !!or better yet try them all for treason ..line em up and store them all in WIPP.All comfy cozy you dirty ,stinking rats !Every last one of them Democraps and Republickings !Im sorry ,but this ,for me is my tipping point!When I look at NETC and daily waves of radiation flowing all over …..Time for another revolution ! Im an American ,time for that to mean something again!God please forgive me…for my apathy for so many years.

• firetorah firetorah

I tried that "green" kitty litter and my cats hated it. Didn't work well at all. I can understand why they had trouble with it.

• rogerthat

Around about now it seems pertinent to ask whether these drums are of the low-level overall and gloves transuranic waste variety or whether they are of the low-level seven Curies per liter transuranic waste variety. To avoid misunderstanding when aliens one day land on an uninhabited earth.
    ''Daddy, daddy, what killed this planet?''
    ''They used the wrong kitty litter, son.''

• The Great Tribulation Yahu-Yochanan

If they admit to 500 probably double to triple might bring a more truthful result. I don't believe anything they say. Governments are lapdogs for anti-humane corporations and are set for a major shakeup.

Confederates of Satan should decide if they wish to live in truth democracy or die of atomic radiation cancer, as lapdogs for evil tax avoiding corporation slave merchants.

The American government has the power to break up corporations in legislation, but seem to be on the pay roll of the devil.

Where are the atomic cores of Fukushima, ask a fish!

The great tribulation proudly brought to you by General Electric Hitachi and Toshiba Westinghouse.

Have a nice day.

Save one save the world.

• sundowner

Anyone picked this up on zerohedge Caught On Camera: Fire At Fukushima? This is from the official Tepco YouTube feed last night. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-20/caught-camera-fire-fukushima

• 52Rockwell

To paraphrase U.S. General George S. Patton during the movie he gave the men a great motivational speech.
    Thirty years from now when you're sitting by your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks, 'What did you do in the great WIPP WARS?' You won't have to cough and say, 'Well, your granddaddy shoveled kitty liter in West Texas.'

• Homo Insapiens Homo Insapiens

Pluto's element
    was mixed with kitty litter.
    I am become Death.

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

"Must ‘permanently seal’ underground storage areas"…hmmm…I wonder how long qualifies as 'permanent' these days.

• davidh7426 davidh7426

This has nothing to do with WIPP, and maybe I missed it, but…

I'm NOT seeing any thread about the Fukushima fire that happened yesterday 20 May 2014. Did I miss it ??

I would have though that the story would have been up there in big blaring capital letters.

—–

Special Broadcast Fukushima Unit 4 Major Fire May 20th 2014

• PaciFistic PaciFistic

……may not have been a real fire, only looked like one…my guess.

Otherwise, there would've been followups.

• PaciFistic PaciFistic

…..probably not a real fire, only looked like one…my guess.

Otherwise, there would've been followups.

• PaciFistic PaciFistic

…..sorry about the dupe….browser stuck, didn't show the first, and then when I re-sent, got a warning on duplicate comment, yet still didn't show any. So, changed the wording and got two. What can you do?

Guess it means "lots of smoke, no fire."

• davidh7426 davidh7426

The only explanation for the glowing red stuff is 'FIRE', unless the spooky web things are back and turning nasty, or the sea has suddenly combusted.

And judging by the size of the red stuff, it looks like it was at least 40 – 50 feet high, and from the view of the camera, I'd say it was in an area that is between the reactor buildings and the sea, an area that I believe once held the emergency turbines that got trashed by the tsunami. The area in question is I believe soon to be the home of the 'mythical' ice wall of Fukushima.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

I was thinking ..a huge chemical fire ..starting behind..4.. showing the height of flame out ..then engulfing the area behind 3-4 and I see indication that it could have also been behind 1 and 2.

They also starting ..the official dumping.
            Hot…chemically..

• davidh7426 davidh7426

Well, Rose, Plutonium, Uranium and the other transuranic trash that litter Fukushima, are most definitely chemicals, and even if it was just your ordinary common or garden chemical fire, it'll still be a radioactive hellfire because of the trash that the area is covered in.

Here's a thought… Is it possible that they had a major malfunction with the icewall equipment that just went south big-time ?

• bo bo

I'm combing Japanese news… odd silence in Japan
      MSM silence, that's understandable
      But activists aren't talking about it either.
      My family thinks I'm crazy
      But why the spike in radiation
      325 times above normal in fukushima???

Our Admin is very cautious, and I hope s/he stays that way – they can try all they want to drag down enenews' credibility, but this site has always been reliable.

• davidh7426 davidh7426

I agree Bo, caution is advised in these times, but a reputation for reliability means taking risks.

The MSM has a reputation for reliability, but it also has zero credibility because of it's servile attitude to TPTB, and it's blatant ignoring of the stories that matter.

Even if the great May Fuku Fire of 2014 turns out to be [ a fake / real / a visit from the great glowing red jello monster], taking a risk, and putting out the story and letting the readers make up their own minds and opinions, in my view enhances the sites credibility, and shows that Admin cares more about the news than about avoiding the wrath of TPTB.

If TPTB are going to stifle this site, they'll do so anyway, so better to go out fighting for the news and the truth, than to go out with a whimper.

Of course all of the above is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, burn it ( and me ) in effigy, stick pins in it, or just plain argue about it. THAT is your right as free-willed, free speech supporting people, and something that I believe we'll lose if we hold back from upsetting THEM !!!

—–

I'm done… You can start shooting now ;)

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Because..whooommm!
        Something bad happened alright.

• GQR2

No Wonder Joe Franco looked so sheepish at the last WIPP Town Hall and no wonder they wanted less Town Halls. All their smartness and good management practices they claim are bankrupt LIES. The WIPP facility is an imminent danger. What non of the Brilliant Geniuses at LANL knew that???!!!

Well great bring them in to Re Manage the damage control- Only this time the damage is incalculable. What have these Nukists been thinking. Its time to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Stop Production at LANL too. ALL of it shut it down. A moratorium forever. Its going to shut the human race as we know it down. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

How do these people sleep at night? How do they go to work and lie to themselves and to the public everyday? Is it the money and power? Greed in the seemingly most humble among the us? Like the fawning Mayor a perfect example. He wants to be the big man who brings jobs. Yeah jobs,sickness and death!

• 52Rockwell

eatliesndie
    May 21, 2014 at 7:31 am Log in to Reply

——————————————————-
    I think when they say permanent,they mean it will last until they can get their bucks ,and get the hell outta Dodge.

• Southbound Southbound

"It will be clean" they said… "It will be too cheap to meter" they said.

Well it's the most expensive way to generate electricity, and produces terribly toxic waste!

It's time to shut them down. Shut them all down!

Repeal the Price-Anderson Act!

• Example of arrogance and hubris, what the hell kind of thinking would have anyone name it a "Blue Ribbon Comission", arrogant effing nukers!

In January of 2012, the Blue Ribbon Commission on America's Nuclear Future, of which Moniz was a member, released a report concluding a repository needed to be established as quickly as possible, but not without local input.

• Here is your assignment for the day — spread the word on this folks, tipp it now, tipp it good.

post the link to this ENE article on 2 sites that are not traditionally anti nuke

If 500 people do this, we can reach maybe 500,000 people who had no idea how dangerous nuke is.

Post here if you did 2 links.

• Checkmate

Hey, don't worry guys; its under control. Kind of like: "Hey chief, there is a lot of smoke on the horizon, what should we do?" "Don't worry the wind will blow it out and extinguish the flames, we will keep an eye on it." 50 days later, "Chief it is still smoking more and getting bigger." "That's alright it is going to rain and it will be extinguished, we will keep an eye on it, no danger to the city." Another 50 days, "Chief this is getting bigger and the people are coughing and the whole city is on fire." "I guess we should do something but we must plan this correctly so we will draw up the plan in the next 10 days and 10 days later have it approved and then 60 days later we will start turning on the firehoses with the proper plan to extinguish it. You know these things take time."

• Aloha Banzai,

We need some visual combat help to let Americans know that the radiation industry has created at least 500 dirty bombs with plutonium and spread them among different sites in the USA.

All ticking time bombs, as they fiddle fuck around trying to figure out what to do…..

• Nick

LANLee: Hey Joe are those drums ready to ship to WIPP?

Joe: We are waiting on the shipment of kitty litter for the tops, before they hit the road.

LANLee: Hey, how about using that Green-is-Clean enviro-freindly stuff?

Joe: That is exactly what the boss ordered.

LANLee: Great, man we are going to score big time greenie points!

Joe: Um, what's in that litter again?

LANLee: cellulose

Joe: You sure?

LANLee: Don't worry, what could possibly go wrong?……

• Nick

Later:

Joe: Um. did those drums arrive?

WIPPee: Yup, all 579 are in the ground.

Joe: Any problems?

WIPPee: No. Why?

Joe: Well when we ordered the kitty litter, a slight deviation in protocol was done.

WIPPee: Yes? What?

Joe: Green Kitty litter.

WIPPee: OMG. Let's pray and cross our fingers and our legs and buy
    tons of lottery tickets.

Joe: Is it really that big of a deal?

WIPPee: Yup. I think we basically just lost our retirement (and 1/2 of New Mexico!)

Enough sarcasm. I told folks to get out weeks ago. I was NOT joking then and I ain't now. This is a full-blown 100% nightmare.

• ftlt

Wait a sec here???? Did not the salt cavern collapse?

How are they planning on this not happening again???

I assume repacking the barrels is out of the question. Why is this not mentioned?

Can we further assume that all the barrels have failed now and their contents are loosed outside of their containment areas?

How many other barrels around the country and world have the wrong kitty litter in them?

The nuclear industries decades long fan dance is over now. They clearly have been fully exposed as incompetent. And worse than that, they are immediate "forever" lasting danger to the health of the entire planet. Everywhere we turn all types of things nuclear are falling apart or breaking down.

WAKE UP!!!!

This needs to go to the streets now. The media and governments have failed us. Act now before it's too late.

• Dick Shenary

All international terrorists can now retire to the hard scrabble life from which they originally came. There is a new terrorist organization (although unintentional) that now rules and is 100% funded by the American taxpayers. This would be the Department of Energy (DOE) and its’ subcontractors. Who else has managed to create over 500 dirty bombs and sequester them throughout the American southwest? Bin Laden in his wildest dreams could not have foreseen such a development. It should be interesting watching these keystone cops who must now rush to find a place to store these exploding drums or we face losing large sections of the southwest to permanent exclusion zones. These DOE-eyed fools now need to clean out the kitty litter or face the wrath of The Department of Homeland Security. I wonder if water boarding will be used in the interrogation of DOE employees to get to the bottom of the kitty litter switcheroo? This is all madness!

• mt1000

Carlsbad, New Mexico: A Place to Live, Work, and Play!

• razzz razzz

The answer is to have less WIPP public meetings and hope this all goes away.

Has anyone asked the question yet if WIPP intake air is filtered for radionuclides?

Still waiting for results showing fallout other than Pu. Didn't know Pu travels alone.

• Nick

WIPP has spent much moola designing warnings to future generations.

And 0 dollars warning our present generation!

Low risk to the public my ass!

• safelyiniowa safelyiniowa

Earlier reporting showed that was likely a change in the type of "kitty litter". The initial type was clay based. This absorbed liquid to a limited degree and stabilized chemicals like nitrates. Think of clay used to stabilize nitroglycerin to form dynamite. Someone switched to organic "kitty litter" based on grain. That absorbed more moisture which allowed nitrate compounds to dry. Compounds like ammonia nitrate are explosive. A ship full of it blew up due to just heat and pressure. It happened at a Texas port over 50 years ago. Just like a chemical reaction inside one of the drums. Organic compounds make it much more sensitive to shock. A bit of left over alcohol caused an ammonia nitrate plant in Sioux City Iowa to blow up. It is possible for grain itself to spontaneously catch fire. Remember also that radioactive decay generates heat. Plutonium is used in deep space probes, it generates heat to supply electricity.

• Radio Radio

Well, they decided to go with the kitty litter as the probable cause of the explosions and not the toxic brew of chemicals with highly contaminated heat producing, volatile nuclear radioactive waste. Kidding aside, packing a flammable into a flammable is never a brilliant idea. However, packing nuclear waste into anything and keeping it safe is impossible. If the kitty litter exploded because it got too hot, then it shows that thin steel drums is not the best container to use, but, the government got them for a bargain wanting to save some bucks. Having paid back their campaign donors with a huge tax cut and new laws guaranteeing them everything from wolf and bison slaughters to being allowed to dump fracking waste into rivers, the administration and congress are a little short on funds.

• You know, the ceiling can still collapse catastophically.

• GQR2

Its is gonna blow sky high,its only a matter of time.
    Maybe that will wake people up from the propagated delusional system that somehow Nuclear Waste can be managed safely. Safe and Nuclear shouldn't even be in the same sentence. These experts,engineers cannot be trusted to solve the pressing problems of Nuclear – all they want to do is pass around the containers for a price. They demonstrate no regard for even basic physics we come to find out and there is HELL to pay. now. not tomorrow.

• Sol Man

VOC's in the drums with whatever other, it's anybody's guess, chemicals/elements, or billions of gallons VOC's pumped deep into the earth.
    Both ideas sound like an absolute disaster in the making.
    Stay tuned.

• Nick

DOE ray me.

And you, and you, and you.

• Sol Man

As ye wish
    so shall ye glow.

• GQR2

Was thinking about the imminant threat and all the transporting,moving and inspections of the barrels both in WIPP and outdoors. Who is going to be doing that job? This is like watching the disposition of potential bombs. Who created them?..LANL,DOE,
    The Public Needs to Know what is going on and weekly Town Halls are required including the What if it explodes scenerios.

• Nick

Hmmm.

Maybe some unconvinced folks are waking up to our nuclear nightmare.

As to the doe idiots…. just get homeland security involved. They'll keep close tabs on the dangers. Won't they?

Nothing like a scenario that scares the living beejeebies out of ya!

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Carlsbad Town Hall meeting in 5.

• rogerthat

Nick: ''WIPP has spent much moola designing warnings to future generations.''

- future generations? hope springs eternal.