Published: October 8th, 2012 at 4:44 am ET

Watch today’s footage from inside the sinkhole here

Title: Gas trapped near sinkhole
Source:  The Advocate
Author: David J. Mitchell
Date: October 07, 2012
Emphasis Added

An as-yet undetermined amount of natural gas is trapped in the aquifer underneath the Bayou Corne community, state and parish officials have said.

[...] some parish officials say they are concerned the odorless, colorless gas underground could accumulate unseen to explosive concentrations if left unchecked.

John Boudreaux, director of the Assumption Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, said there are concerns the gas can build up pressure under the clay layer that lies above the aquifer.

Once the pressure in the aquifer reaches a pressure greater than 75 to 85 pounds per square inch, the clay layer might not be able to hold back the accumulated gas, according to Boudreaux and geologists.

“And then it could be a problem because you do not know where the weak point would be until after it has already done its thing,” Boudreaux said. [...]

Our first report on the pressure build-up in the aquifer was 45 days ago: Officials: Sinkhole measurements unavailable -- Police want study of "simultaneous venting of the aquifer as the exploratory rig is being drilled"

See also: Officials: Gas pressure is increasing in aquifer near giant sinkhole -- Trying to relieve buildup for 'public safety' -- Seismic activity related to pressure? (VIDEOS)

Published: October 8th, 2012 at 4:44 am ET

1. State of Louisiana to hold briefing “specific to health concerns” for people in area of giant sinkhole December 6, 2012
  2. Officials: “Deep natural formation” may be source of gas around giant sinkhole — Fears it could reach surface at explosive levels October 9, 2012
  3. Sinkhole Geologist: I’m here to tell you I was wrong about low pressure readings — Newspaper: Fear gas could escape through earth and present explosive risk (VIDEO) October 28, 2012
  4. WAFB: Work halted at sinkhole — “Stoppage caused by tremors in area” — “Not good news for residents” — Emergency meeting Thursday September 17, 2012
  5. Footage after ‘burp’ at giant sinkhole — Trees sinking straight into ground — Liquid shifting back and forth (VIDEO) April 19, 2013

37 comments to Officials concerned pressure may build to “explosive concentrations” in aquifer near giant sinkhole — Geologists say top layer may not hold back gas if above 75 psi — New footage of area (VIDEO)

• vivvi

Wow. Must be bad if they are actually admitting it now.

• arclight arclight

Prelude to LA SINKHOLE? Matt Simmons 6 wks before death: "BP lying through its teeth"
    Published on Oct 7, 2012 by ichicax4
    Matthew Roy Simmons (April 7, 1943– August 8, 2010) was a famous oil exec who became a BP whistleblower in the weeks before his strange death. Much of what he stated about the disaster was later proven true. He advocated for a complete evacuation of the Gulf of Mexico states,
    [...]

These problems would occur at great distances from the Mercondo well. Which may be exactly what we are seeing happen now with the Louisiana sinkhole and saltdome problems, as well as sinkhole reports from all over the Gulf coast states from Texas (and Mexico) up through the St Lawrence and Quebec/Ontario.

most worrying

• I wrote this August 9 2010 and about Matt Simmons' death

In this post I have assembled all the empirical evidence I found about the state of the Macondo well.

I believed there were two major blow-out sites and one was huge, while the other was much smaller. We saw the small blow-out site on the cam.

TEPCO IS PLAYING BY THIS SCRIPT!

We get to see the distractions.

That is why I think the worst has happened at Fukushima Daiichi and perhaps Daini.

It appears that Matt Simmons knew the significance of the blowout in the Gulf of Mexico…

Who knows the significance of what is really happening with Fukushima? We sure are not being told what is really known.

• pcjensen

great article, Majia. I tweeted, thank you.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Majia,
      Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by the worse has already occurred at Fukushima? I tend to think Daini had partial meltdowns but I hope I'm wrong is that what you are referring to? I will check your blog which will probably give me the info I'm looking for speaking of which anyone here who has not viewed Majia's web site should do so as it is well written and very informative.

• good question Moonshellblue

What do I think?

I think that the fuel in building 4 has burned at least twice.

I think there is no intact spent fuel pool or reactor left in unit 3.

I think that fuel in units 1 and 2 burned as well, although probably not all.

I also think that other plants had radiation releases, especially Tokai (Anne could provide us more specific examples).

Why do I think these things? I cannot post all my reasons here but, the before and after pictures I posted of unit 4 prove to me at least that some very large fire happened between the summer of 2011 and the spring of 2012. Strange webcam happenings reinforce that conviction.

Unit 3 is simply way gone. Jim stone suggests that Tepco's readings from unit 3 are a function of Stuxnet. I think this is possible

The Fukushima webcam has been handled just like the BP webcam. They are designed to create the impression of transparency while the real events unfold offstage.

• VanneV anne

jamia, If you look up the domain for the jim stone website, you will find that it is registered to James Smith of Jiddah, Saudi Arabia. Jim Stone doesn't exist before May or June of 2011, and he borrowed the information from another conspiracy website. Both websites are, IMHO, supported by the nuclear industry. When I post the links to this info., my posts are erased. But it is easy to Google the info.

• I don't have an opinion on Jim Stone per sec.

I just used that link because there is a good pdf image of Fukushima that exhibits the full scale of the disaster available at his site

The danger with Daini is that it may have to be abandoned if radiation levels continue to rise, according to the WSJ

July 4, 2012, Fukushima Watch: At Fukushima Daini, It’s Safer Inside Than Outside By Mitsuru Obe. Wall Street Journal
            "At the Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant, it may be safer inside the reactor buildings than it is outside them.
            •JRT, which went on a media tour of Daini on Wednesday, found that background radiation levels in the plant compound were around 0.5 to 1.0 microsieverts per hour — some 16 to 33 times higher than prior to the March 2011 accident.

• VanneV anne

majia, I looked at the picture and there is a lot of commentary on the picture. What happened was MOX fuel, which the nuclear industry doesn't want to admit is extremely dangerous and that Unit #3 should have been decommissioned and was never designed for MOX fuel. The US is still building a MOX fuel facility at Savannah River, and is planning to fuel Bill Gates 2,000 – 4,000 small model reactors to install all over the US. MOX fuel is very unstable and explodes at a much lower temperature than reactors which do not use plutonium. The "bomb" he hypothesizes about is MOX fuel itself. The earthquake cracked open the cooling pipes and as others have written on other threads, the type of computers used at Fukushima were not modern enough to have been vulnerable to Stuxnet. Also Stuxnet was designed to stop centrifuges, not to meltdown a working nuclear power plant.

Nuclear reactors are all explosions waiting to happen. Using nuclear fission to boil water is not the purpose of nuclear power plants. Nuclear power plants are to produce plutonium for nuclear weapons and to dull the populace into accepting nuclear weapons. Nuclear power plants provide only a small percentage of the total energy of the world, and is easily and cheaply replaced by solar, wind, and geothermal which do not kill millions with everyday use and catastrophic accidents.

Earthquakes and deep earth tomography and fracking are destroying the infrastructure of all NPPs.

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

@Majia

No, we really don't know the complete truth of Fukushima and I don't think anyone is going to tell us; but take a look at the link Mark posted on the Off-Topic Thread on the 7th, I think:

In the first paragraph of the Introduction, I read that Americans can expect to see 1 man out of every 2 and 1 woman out of every 3 have cancer in their lifetime…. I really don't recall seeing that information before and can't help but wonder if it is related to Fukushima? Why is there no thought (apparently) of prevention of cancer as opposed to finding a "cure" which certainly employes many in the medical profession. Carcinogens are known. I have seen nothing to convince me that I should not fear the worst about Japan.

Too many strange deaths that just happen to people who tell the truth.

• Anthony Anthony

Isnt this what Markw is warning about?

• Anthony Anthony

Who is the guy who has been calling others overreacting?

I think theres evidence pointing to reasons to get way away before its too late.

• Sickputer

New travels fast among frackers about the danger in Cajun land. My wife's brother-in-law was a fracker truck waste driver for 40 years. He said he had heard recently through the grapevine about drilling in the Gulf was breaking up the methane hydrate layer and maybe the whole northerwestern gulf shoreline area was at risk for a massive explosion.

He told me a lot of stories about hauling oil rig wastes to Pennsylvannia salt domes over many years. On one occasion he backed his truck trailer into an open cavern and left for lunch, leaving it with the salt mine crew. When he came back they told him his trailer was too radioactive and couldn't leave the cavern. So they buried the big rig trailer in the salt dome.

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

@Sickputer

"He told me a lot of stories about hauling oil rig wastes to Pennsylvannia salt domes over many years." Good Heavens! Did the folks in Pennsylvania know about this? Did they agree with it? Just wondering if anyone is ever asked before doing when it concerns radioactivity. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Sickputer

He is a Luddite, but knows what a dosimeter is and wore one for years on his dumping runs. Of course the public is unaware of fracking dumping of nuclear waste. It happens repeatedly every day in every US state and every nuclear country of the world. Not just nuclear waste and not just in salt domes.

Landfills, creekbeds, vacant land…these are the places toxic chemicals end up. Why? Because it saves companies money. Your crooked governments are too busy policing the world and murdering civilians to stop the toxic crimes happening under their noses. We know the real enemy and he is not wearing a turban.

• richard richard

Nice Sickputer, good to remind us where the .gov attention is – violence, not preservation.

I've been thinking about you guys in the USA and other nuke infested nations.

You see, down under in Oz and NZ – there are NO nuclear power plants. Zero per 30 million people.

In the USA, you have over 100, average two per state, average one per 300,000 people.

So I realise I cannot do jack shyte from here. It's up to you people to get out on the streets and stop the NPPs. Stop the fracking.

Stop the violence to the people, the plants and the planet. It would seem that the absolute most violent nation in the world is the USA. In fact, it's among the most blood thirsty, mass murdering nation that has ever existed in history.

What are you, the people of the USA, going to do about it?

• richard richard

maths mistake above sorry, one NPP per 3 million people. I had dropped a zero.

• Radio VicFromOregon

I devote my life to countering American violence and greed in many ways everyday. Btw, here in Oregon, we shut our nuke plant down and helped stopped three others from being built in neighboring Washington. That took action, protesting, door to door, chaining to gates and fences, arrests, news air time, public ed campaigns, money, determination. Now we're trying to pull the damns off the rivers killing the wildlife and reducing driving and urban exurban sprawl. We are consistently in the top 10 states that recycle and do not accept military jobs aside from the Air National Guard, which got illegally co-opted and sent to Iraq for a time. Portland is a nuke free zone. We have a gay mayor who successfully refused FBI and local police info sharing on political dissidents. We have something called Metro that has some control over land use. Coal WILL NOT be shipped through Oregon despite Obama's best efforts. Maybe 15% of the overall population engages in this progressive ideology and the rest straggle along. I, as do many Oregonians, buy 100% green energy. No new road or bridge will be built in any major Oregon city without a bike lane. Skateboards have the same rights as cars in downtown Portland and are allowed to occupy the lane. Oh, and yes, Senator Wyden, the only US Senator to visit Fukushima personally and who brought global attention to SFP4 and who founded the Gray Panther Party right here in Portland is from Oregon.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

I live in PA and this is the first time I heard of this but know our current Gov. Corbett won the election because he allows fracking to be done tax free in our state. Unreal as this is such a beautiful farming state with gorgeous forests, etc. Ah, just breaks my heart as I have contacted local reps against fracking, nuclear spent fuel which needs to be dry casked to no avail.

• fittietucker

I'm sorry but your post really irks me. I would think that anybody who visits/posts on this site, who has the information you do, would try to do more with it than just post it on this site. Maybe I'm wrong?

• many moons

"to explosive concentrations if left unchecked."
    What are they planning to do to not leave it unchecked??
    How does one fix this?

• irhologram

JgLmj
    HThe Mississippi River Valley alluvial aquifer encompasses an area of approximately 32,000 square miles (Figure 1). It is present in seven states and is the uppermost aquifer in the Mississippi embayment aquifer system. Major rivers that drain the relatively flat alluvial plane include the Mississippi, St. Francis, White, Arkansas, Yazoo and Quachita Rivers (Ackerman, 1996).

• irhologram

Sorry, my ipad is malfunctioning. I was trying to post that the water supply is not what they're referring to. The aquafer I believe they are stating is bubbling is the Mississippi River Valley Alluvial Aquafer.

• irhologram

If this is true…and it seems to be…the point of explosion of deadly gases into the atmosphere…or of combustion…the weakest point…could be… anywhere in seven states. I don't think they'd refer to 75 psi if they didn't already know the clay won't hold the pressure down…and that the pressure is above 75 psi. What do you think?

• irhologram

Go here: academic.emporia.edu/schulmem/hydro/TERM%20PROJECTS/2010/Smith/Wesley.htm

• Radio VicFromOregon

Well, not only is crustal warming melting the frozen methane layer all over the world, fracking is doing so as well. The clay could hold once upon a time because the other layers remained relatively unchanged. It could act as a cork, so to speak. Stupid reasoning, really, but, there you have it. Someone thought it was great idea. But, now, methane, oil, sulfur, what have you can start coming out sideways or around and up over the clay cork. The cork is becoming useless when the bottle is becoming brittle and filling with cracks. I think this is what no one down there wants to say out loud. Yes, someone did some illegal dumping. Yeah, so and so is running for reelection. Yep, everyone looked the other way. But, i'm thinking that the combination of the underground nuclear detonations to free up methane in the Mississippi Alluvial Plain, the brew of chemicals, the eroding salt domes, the warming methane layer, the increased earthquake activity, all that other stuff going on underneath Yellowstone up north but on the same geological plain, the BP explosions and the ongoing oil spill into the gulf, etc. and the assurances of times past are long gone, but few want to admit it. If the methane layer is truly thawing, fracking will have to stop, but, every effort will be made to resist this.