Published: October 15th, 2013 at 10:15 am ET

Japan Times, Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:20a ET: The strongest typhoon to reach Tokyo in 10 years was expected to slam into the region with full force Wednesday morning, the Meteorological Agency said. [...] TEPCO said it was bracing for the storm to hit the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant [...]

AFP, Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:30a ET: Once-in-a-decade typhoon heads for Japan nuclear plant [...] on a path that will take it towards the precarious Fukushima nuclear power plant. Typhoon Wipha, packing winds of nearly 200 kilometres (125 miles) per hour near its centre [...] later in the day [on Wednesday it] would be off the coast of Fukushima, where the crippled nuclear power plant sits. “It is the strongest typhoon in 10 years to pass the Kanto region (Tokyo and its vicinity),” Hiroyuki Uchida, the agency’s chief forecaster, told a news conference. [...]

Wall Street Journal, Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:35a ET: Tepco to Drain Water Before Storm — Again [...] late Tuesday, the NRA panel overseeing the contaminated water problems gave Tepco the go-ahead to drain rainwater that had again accumulated around tanks storing “lightly contaminated” water used to cool the reactors. “We must decide on this issue today. A typhoon is approaching,” said panel head Toyoshi Fuketa. [...] But with a monster typhoon bearing down, are water leaks the real concern? NRA head Shunichi Tanaka has said for months the leaks aren’t as serious as many people think. Rather, one of the “largest risks” is that of another major natural disaster, such as an earthquake or powerful winds hitting the Fukushima site. That could destroy the makeshift tanks and the water processing equipment, releasing radioactive materials into the environment at “much, much greater levels than we are talking about regarding the leaks,” Mr. Tanaka warned. [...]

See also: Pro-Nuclear Expert: Typhoon collapsing Fukushima fuel pool "a very real concern -- I don't know what it is they’re doing about that" (AUDIO)

Published: October 15th, 2013 at 10:15 am ET

1. TV: Water released at Fukushima plant as typhoon passes off coast — Gov’t Expert: Possible aftershocks around M7 will occur “once in a while” — 3 quakes reported, up to M5.5 October 26, 2013
  2. Study: 150,000 sq. kilometers of Pacific with Fukushima nuclear material — ‘Remarkable’ amount released in ocean April 12, 2013
  3. ‘Emergency measures’ used at Fukushima site during typhoon — Contaminated water dumped in ocean — 9 barriers were on verge of overflowing, then released into environment with NO radiation test — CNN: Workers were “on vigil” (VIDEO) October 16, 2013
  4. Japan Headline: ‘Radioactive substances may have escaped Fukushima plant earlier’ than was admitted by Tepco, possibly through valves — Contaminated water released into atmosphere from rainfall? September 17, 2013
  5. Twice as much contaminated water entering ocean from Fukushima as officials claim? Japan Gov’t: 600 tons of groundwater enters ocean each day at plant — NYTimes: Tepco’s figures assume ALL water entering ocean from plant is contaminated (VIDEO) August 8, 2013

59 comments to “Once-in-a-decade typhoon” on path for Fukushima — Top Official: Giant tanks of nuclear-contaminated waste at risk of being destroyed — Winds near 200 kilometers per hour — Gov’t: Water can be released into ocean — WSJ: ‘Monster’ bearing down on plant (PHOTO)

• dosdos dosdos

The biggest threat of collapse is the damaged tower near Unit #1, which is highly radioactive and structurally very unsound. It could collapse atop Unit #1 and/or Unit #2. And of course, the biggest radiation threat is the collapse of Unit #4. The storage tanks and processors are a worry, but not as big as these two structures.

• Lady M

Once the storm is over, here's a thought for after. When you enter a burning house, the first thing you do is NOT to interview the neighbor kids to see who was playing with matches, or sue the construction industry because wood is flammable, or measure the temperature of each burning room. Nope. You remove any living things that are in danger and you have a team of people who know what they are doing PUT THE DARN THING OUT. I wonder if there is any way to temporarily suspend all the indictments and fault finding and to quickly build a diverse SWAT team of pros (scientists, nuclear engineers, remediation specialists, health leaders, diplomats, and some expert communicators too) who can inspire and lead the global cooperation needed to put out the fire that is Fukushima. To fix Fukushima, it needs to be reframed. The acts of focusing the needed resources and taking the steps to fix Fukushima are NOT, in themselves, equivalent to condemning nuclear power or insulting Japan. They are equivalent to saving the planet. Could it be possible to strip all the sidestream stuff away for the time it takes to put this fire out? Framed right, fixing Fukushima should put ALL of mankind on the same team. With that focus, the effort can't fail; with the current one,it can't even get started.

• harengus_acidophilus

Yes, but …

The ruling forces don't want an example
      of "doing the right thing" just for a serious reason.
      They always follow the golden rule: money first.

h.

• Lady M, comparing a burning house to Fukushima doesnt work. Tokyo should have been evacuated. But Tokyo alone is a trillion dollar economy. They wont evacuate Tokyo. Japan is the worlds third largest economy. Too big to fail. The Japanese government is still selling the Japanese people that the triple meltdown is under control. Pretending powerwashing will clean up neighborhoods, that food is properly tested. When rice is contaminated they just mix it with uncontaminated rice to bring the numbers down. USA chooses to ignore the problem because the economy is more important then saving lives. 10 20 or more % cancer deaths in Japan, the west coast or worldwide is OK as long as their precious economy remains intact.
      As long as most people are unaware and confused of what Fukushima is doing nothing will change. Obamma is busy with sideshows and distractions. Don't think he is unaware of Fukushima.

• Anthony Anthony

You are right that is how it has to happen.

All hands on deck.

Plain and simple.

• We Not They Finally

Lady M, you didn't know that there AREN'T any "indictments"? If you're worried about who not to blame, don't worry. World-class mass murderers are getting away with it. And no, they haven't given a crap about getting living things out of there, MUCH LESS "putting the darn thing out." Nor by now do they have any idea HOW.

All WE need to do for a start, is not be in denial about it. You may think you have a crisp clean corporate approach, but I would still say that it looks riddled with DENIAL. Meanwhile, the foxes still run the chicken coop. And you would put in charge WHO, exactly??

• We Not They Finally

By the way, we MUST collectively condemn nuclear power as a killer of all living things. And who CARES whether Japan is "insulted"? They have killers running their country! They'll have to be shamed into having a conscience before anyone gets to "play ball."

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

This storm might be the "Big One" that puts the Earth out of its misery… :(

Nothing should be fixed by any Bobby, until the entire Nuclear Industry is shut down worldwide, and if not (we chose to keep playing with this Nuclear fire) then it is right that we (humans) should all die horrible cancer/disease filled deaths… :(

Time to wake people (humanity) up!

• MichaelV MichaelV

Those negotiations to end nuclear are feasible, starting the process asap is what's needed.

Fukushima has shown that nuclear has outlived it's usefulness.

The technical/engineer expertise is available to build Iran an alternative/ green energy infrastructure.

• Gasser Gasser

BARRY MANILOW; Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

~~~~~~~~~~~

Cesium 134 raindrops keep fallin' on my head

And just like the guy whose feet are too deformed for his bed

Nothin' seems to fit

Those Cesium raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

So I just did me some talkin' to the Land of the Rising Sun

And I said I didn't like the way they got things done

Lyin' on the job
Those Cesium raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

But there's one thing I know

The Cobalt 60 blues they send, have defeated me
It won't be long

'Til sadness steps up to greet me

Cesium raindrops keep fallin' on my head

But does that mean my eyes will soon be turnin' white

Cryin's is for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'

Because I'm no longer free, ….everythin's worryin' me
      It won't be long

'Til sadness steps up to greet the world
      Cesium raindrops keep fallin' on our heads

And that does mean our eyes will soon be turnin' white

Dyin's all for us

'Cause were never gonna stop the reactors by protestin'
      Because were all screwed, everythin's worryin' the world

But there's one thing I know
      Plutonium particles keep enterin' our lungs
      And it won't be long
      Til' deep breaths escape us all

Actinides keep pollutin'….they just keep pollutin'
      And that worries the liven' shit out of………..me

~Gasser Classic~

• nohobear nohobear

Next 48 hours is going to be a nail biter. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this storm will go into the history books (if there is any civilization in the future to write history) as having changed the world.

I think a week from now, all the news will be about uncontrolled radiological zirconium fires at Daichi and frantic international efforts to put it under control. I want very much to be wrong about this. Given the degraded and weakened structures, saturated ground we've all been following, I just don't see how it can survive a direct typhoon hit other than luck.

• mungo mungo

BBC just about the only news that are not mentioning this

• Daisy207

The weather channel is saying that the storm 'will be significantly weaker' when it hits – like a category 1 or lower storm. STill, that much rain could reach havoc on the infrastructure. I can't find a good map of the track or models of strength.

• ruppert

It appears that the Common Pool has been on fire for the past few hours and nobody has said a thing about it anywhere. It's amazing that the fire continues through all the wind and rain that Fukushima is receiving right now.

There was some weird arcing and freakish lights coming and going but they seem to have stopped.

Of course the worse the storm gets the less we will be able to make out courtesy of their crappy camera. You would think they would provide a camera somewhat better than something from the 60s. Better than nothing I guess.

The fire seems to be maintaining it's size but I wonder what the probability of it getting bigger is.

• Anthony Anthony

Well if what you are saying is true ruppert, the common pool IS the Achilles Heel in this situation. Trust me I am being optimistic as I suggest such a thing would be a certain death for lifeforms. Its WAY too much poisons released then.

I hope you are very wrong and will keep an eye open for related posts.

Thanks from one Buzz-Killer to another I guess!

• Lady M

Keep in mind that the post-3/11 plants have already weathered more than two years of storms, including a couple recent ones, as well as hundreds of nearby earthquakes, many over 6 magnitude. I am optimistic that Thursday will find the plants, and us, in approximately the same situation as we are now.

So, just a quick note in regard to Obewanspeaks' comment above:
    Some of the people who are our best shots for fixing Fukushima are in the nuclear industry. The industry is also a powerful potential source of funding for the fix. We leave these resources out of the fix if we make eradication of their livelihood a prerequisite for the fixing to start. First things first. Fix Fukushima First. I know you see what I mean and I do respect that you may not agree.

• own_quality

"It appears that the Common Pool has been on fire for the past few hours and nobody has said a thing about it anywhere"

Mind explaining how you have come to this conclusion? If you are referring to the area of orange light in the lower left, that has been going on for days. It's not a fire. It's just a bright light. You can't see it during the day and there is no smoke in that area… NOT A FIRE!

I love this site, but there are lots of alarmist postings. That's understandable. This situation is very precarious and it understandably attracts an alarmist leaning audience. Let's try to be calm and thoughtful with our comments. We are all losing sleep over the Fukushima reality.

• ruppert

I am not being alarmist and it's not a light. I have seen what people call "a light" and calling it a fire and this is different. I can't see how anybody could look at that and call it a light. I hope I am indeed wrong but it was not there and gradually became bigger over the past few hours.

It's on the right side of the common pool right next to a building.

I'm willing to be wrong but I would like to hear what others think. I'm not trying to start a frenzy but I've been watching it on a separate screen for hours and that is not a light.

• ruppert

As I said I hope I am wrong. It just appears to have movement and finger like projections of light
    like a fire in motion. I starting watching it hours ago before the level of rain picked up but it still appears to still be in motion (and not from the wind and rain).

• weeman

How do you strengthen the tanks integratiey in a hurry? Bracing, ropes, lower centre of gravity of tanks, sand bags to dam over flow, raise level of containment around tanks, vacuum trucks on stand by to Vac excess water and the list goes on, some more feasible than others, but do something?
    Get your act in gear, imbeciles full stop.

• We Not They Finally

There are apparently no tanks there that are built to last at all. Maximum shelf-life five years, maybe less. They were not commissioned to last — just to be quick and cheap. I think that trying to strengthen tanks that are already falling apart, is a losing proposition. Shame on them that they were built that way in the first place, but they did what they did.

We're so used to looking at catastrophes and the first responders get in there and do SOMETHING. Especially once a catastrophe is OVER and you're into clean-up. But this isn't anywhere near "over" and may never be. This whole plant is going so radioactive, that no one has clarified even what CAN be done, much less how they get workmen close enough to do it.

• ruppert

@Sol Man,

I watched many of the fire calls that ended up being just lights so I do know what you mean. I know from some other sights that people get a kick out of starting a panic (not funny). It's no coincidence that a better camera is not being used but at least they are being consistent.

I feel like the guy from that movie years back yelling "There's a man on the wing of the plane"
    who was obviously flying on a plane.

To whoever posted earlier, I was not making a conclusion but just saying what I am seeing.

I do hope I am wrong.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Does anyone know the height of the sea wall at Fukushima Nuke Plant or is it still just the initial placement of sandbags. Thanks in advance.

• ruppert

@pure water,

I have not been able to see the same whatever it is in any of the other night videos.

The sun should be up over there in a few hours or so I will chill out and prepare to feel foolish.

Thanks

• sangell

The vent tower has got to be a major concern. Even a Category 1 storm is going to put enormous strain on that structure. Sustained winds in excess of 75mph ( and that tower is 400 feet tall) could topple it so lets just hope if it falls it falls away from the reactor buildings.

• own_quality

Ruppert, what you are seeing with the fingers of orange light that appear to be moving is distortion from the rain and wind blowing the water across the shield in front of the crappy camera. Everything else in the picture also appears to be distorting, flickering, and moving up and down. This light has been there for at least one or two nights and it is not a fire. Sorry I called you an alarmist.

• ruppert

That's ok. I think I've had more than my share of coffee today and with the economy and other stress that is going on I'm feeling a little on edge.

I see the wind is really kicking up now. It doesn't help having the webcam going on a separate larger monitor. I don't hold out much hope for the tower. Some of the photos that were shown were pretty scary ie. broken bars etc.

I'm in my early fifties and I never remember there being a time when so much was happening at once.

It's like trying to watch something through an aquarium. The sun should be up in a few hours.

I respect your wanting to keep this forum from degrading into one of those crazy sites where people are making outlandish posts just to get others wound up. That's why I like Enenews because of the quality of the thoughtful posts, and ideas that people express here so offense was taken.

Thanks

• own_quality

We are about the same age, I'll be 54 in December. The only thing good about being our age is that it's better than being in your 80's! I remember my dad in his 80's saying he wished he could be 60 again. With all this ELE talk here, at least we can say that we've made it to our 50's! I'm very worried for my 3 and 11 year old kids. We spent March 28 thru April 3, 2011 on the beach in San Diego. Now my 3 year old girl is only 33" tall and I wonder if radiation exposure has stunted her growth. My wife has been having spontaneous nose bleeds on several occasions since and never had them before. I have been fatigued beyond tolerable and have almost daily headaches since then. Sorry for the off-topic. Hang in there!

• ruppert

I can't imagine what it must be like to have children who are more susceptible to radiation and the thoughts for their futures. I'm happy I grew up in the time that I did. We didn't have the internet but people were more humane to each other and we were not over loaded with all the stuff that keeps everybody glued to their "devices" like they will miss "something".

I can see the arguments for both sides. My dad is 82 and he is one of the most computer savvy older people I know. He's always downloading movies and ebooks and has a 4 computer network. Most seniors are not able to take advantage of what the web can offer. I repair computers and do pro-bono work for seniors and people in difficult situations so I get to see it up close.

What I love about the time we were born into is that we got to go through record albums, drive-ins, libraries, film, digital cameras and the whole gamut of analog to digital. I still have great memories playing 45s and records etc. My nephews have never played a record or used a film camera.

Forgive my rambling. Too early for wine. I think a walk will help with the anxiety.

Thanks

• Johnny Blade

My own kids are in their early 20's now and seem to be more receptive to my "radiation on the brain" as one of them put it about a year after 311 and just before she miscarried what would have been our 1st grandchild and about the same time her mother was struck by stage 3B advanced breast/lymph node cancer! My wife is(was?) supposedly now in remission-yet her Oncologist laid a bombshell on us that they now want to remove her remaining breast & ovaries and???-They want her answer regarding the December date they're attempting to set for her surgery & "Round 2"(?)of chemo & radiation!! I'm not even gonna go into my own health issues because frankly-"I don't give a rat's ass about my own plight as long as I can hang on long enough to care for her & whoever goes down next among my loved ones and don't really care to see this 311 ELE play out since the prognosis & possible scenario's are ALL BAD and even though I'm far from being a fan of human accomplishments or the damage "they","we",whatever-caused to get where we are today=NOWHERELAND & GOING DOWN FAST(er),but I still have much love & respect for the "GOOD" people & wildlife which doesn't deserve this shit at all! I may not be old enough to be considered "wise" at 49 yrs,but I've seen a LOT more than most people my age & at the same time I also "buried my head in the sand" regarding political crap & issues that didn't allow for a happy life or ending for my kids & loved ones. Now I've gotten crash…

• Johnny Blade

cont'd- courses in "SHIT" and being shoved into it!! It really hurts me knowing that everyone "blocking" harsh & harmful REALITIES from their minds in ways similar to the way I USED to conduct my own life & "choose" which of those issues should be of concern to me/them…. One thing I never did though was to "blame the messengers" even if I didn't want to hear what they had to say. It's not like I even COULD make this kind of shit up and as much as I love my kids & family I'm also sorry to say I've lost some of the respect I'd previously had for their intelligence & logic compared to what it was prior to 311. :( Yes there is a "learning curve" but TPTB & corporate scum derailed that bus as it rounded the bend & sent their common-sense careening over the ledge where I've been hanging by my fingernails for THEIR sake and if I'm supposed to watch them get sick & die too,possibly before my own demise-then I hope I die in my sleep peacefully while there's still one or two good memories left in my mind to focus on while the life force drains from my physical body. I don't even know what else can be said since I'm "burnt up & burnt out" in every sense and everything that can be said has been set out here and the a-holes who can or "could've" done something didn't and/or WON'T…I still wish for the BEST for all of the good souls here & amongst the lemmings-whatever that might be(?) :| TAKE CARE ALL & THANKS FOR KEEPING ON KEEPING ON..

• amberlight amberlight

Johnny, I am deeply saddened by your trials. I didn't realize you were only 49! From what you and your family have been going through I assumed you were much older. This should be a joyous time for you and your wife as you welcome grandchildren into your lives, but it has been crushed by evil men. Not incompetent, not ignorant—albeit aided by the ignorant and incompetent—but knowingly destroying life as they scramble for power and wealth. I believe truth and light will overcome, but there is much suffering to be borne by the innocent.

• End of the Road

Ruppert: It's never too early for wine (!), but the walk sounds good, too.

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

My grandson up in Portland has also stopped growing. He was up in the Cascade Range on sleds in 2011 and of course I told them all not to go..children seldom listen to their elders.

• own_quality

At exactly 10 seconds into this video you can see when they switched the light on, illuminating the vent stack and the side of the building to the right. You have to look very carefully because it is still daylight. As the video continues into the night, the light gets brighter and brighter on both the stack and the building. Case closed. The defense rests!

• ruppert

I do see the light turn on but am not sure we are talking about the same place. I will look it over a few times but you are probably right. Daylight is starting to come up there and if there was a fire, I'm sure it would show or be more obvious.

Thanks

• ruppert

Ok. Now I officially feel foolish. If anything is still left standing after all this, it will be a miracle.

I can't even fathom how the Japanese people are able to go through the storm and deal with the radiation up close and personal.

How is the world even supposed to wrap their collective heads around this? I'm not trying to find somebody or thing to blame but it all seems so senseless.

I'm ready for that glass of wine.

• Sol Man

I can now also say that I understand how the orange light can appear flickering by water droplets on a glass lens protector.
    However, that does not explain the arcing sparks that were also noted in my comment above at 1:49. I can not imagine that they are lightening due to their specific location. I welcome any ideas on this.