(Subscription Only) Title: Fukushima residents failing to complete radiation-dose paperwork
Source: Asahi Shimbun
Date: Sept 28, 2012
Critical data is missing for two-thirds of children tested for thyroid problems in Fukushima Prefecture, because their families have failed to declare the children’s hour-by-hour whereabouts during the immediate post-disaster period.
Absence of a dose estimate could make people ineligible for compensation if they later develop serious problems such as thyroid cancer, because of an inability to establish a cause.
If Fukushima Prefecture residents develop cancer of the thyroid gland in the future, authorities will determine the likelihood of the disease being linked to the nuclear disaster. They will base the decision on comprehensive assessments of individual doses and any increase in the cancer rate in the wider community.
“Dose estimates are essential for evaluating a causal relationship between disease and radiation in those cases where people unfortunately fall ill and consider applying for compensation,” said Saburo Murata, deputy director of the Hannan Chuo Hospital in Osaka Prefecture.
In the past, Murata has helped atomic bomb survivors and nuclear plant workers apply for health compensation.
“I advise people to keep records of any changes in their health conditions and their whereabouts, including from now on,” he said.
“If Fukushima Prefecture residents develop cancer”… Is this an indication that other prefectures will be excluded from coverage?
“[A]uthorities will determine the likelihood of the disease being linked to the nuclear disaster. They will base the decision on comprehensive assessments of individual doses and any increase in the cancer rate in the wider community.” … More about this here: Atlantic: Is gov't trying to contaminate every region of Japan by burning radioactive debris? "If everyone is 'contaminated,' then, in a relative sense, no one is"
Published: September 28th, 2012 at 9:08 am ET
- Government’s hospital “will not report the truth about the conditions of our health” -Fukushima restaurant owner December 3, 2012
- Japan Professor: “Inconceivable” that no records were kept by gov’t early on in Fukushima crisis — Top official says records will be ‘created’ soon January 24, 2012
- US Military starts registry for people developing health conditions after being in Japan — Says Tokyo babies had 12 millisievert radiation dose to thyroid in weeks after 3/11 (MAP) September 6, 2012
- More cancers in Fukushima children — Mother: We don’t know what’s actually going on, I can’t trust gov’t — TV: Private hospital finds cysts after ‘official’ tests were all clear (VIDEO) November 13, 2013
- Hospital Official in Fukushima: “Extremely scary data” — Stroke rate spiking in people ages 35 to 64 — 3.4 times higher than before (VIDEO) May 8, 2013