AP: A northeast Ohio man charged with violating the federal Clean Water Act is suspected of having an employee repeatedly dump gas-drilling wastewater into a storm sewer, federal prosecutors said Thursday. Hardrock Excavating LLC owner Ben Lupo [...] faces up to three years in prison, a $250,000 fine and a year of supervised release if convicted.
21 News Now: Kurt Kollar, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency on-scene coordinator handling the clean-up [...] says Lupo admitted to dumping two tankers full of frac fluid into a storm drain at least six times since September of 2012. Each truck holds about 21,000 gallons, so that’s approximately one-quarter-a-million gallons of oil and oilfield waste that’s made its way into a Youngstown storm drain, and a portion of the Mahoning River.
Truthout: Lupo admitted to state authorities that he ordered the initial dumping and later told investigators he ordered employees to dump the contents of a fracking waste storage tank into the storm drain on six occasions. A Hardrock Excavating employee, however, told authorities that he was aware of 20 dumping incidents since November 2012, according to the Justice Department.
Timesonline: State Rep. Bob Hagan of Youngstown, D-60, told Calkins Media that he had visited the site of the incident and the clean-up crew there told him they did not know what chemicals were in the dumped fracking wastewater. Crews also said they were testing and monitoring for radioactivity, Hagan said.
Columbus Dispatch: The brine contains spent fracking chemicals, high concentrations of salt and naturally occurring metals and radium. Radioactivity can build up in “muds” — lubricants used to help in the drilling process.
Published: February 15th, 2013 at 12:53 pm ET
- Gundersen: Trucks dumping nuclear waste into Tokyo Bay “for many years” to come — Plus a look ahead at 2012 (VIDEO) December 30, 2011
- Kyodo: Dumping Fukushima radioactive water is gov’ts only solution — Risk of “damaging effects” from toxic discharges — Even if fully implemented, around 300 tons of contaminated groundwater will still flow into Pacific every day (VIDEO) February 4, 2014
- Officials in Connecticut warn of giant 16-foot storm surge, with 15-foot waves on top of that — State’s nuclear plant directly exposed on ocean (PHOTOS) October 29, 2012
- Gundersen: Gov’t dumping radioactive material into Tokyo Bay — Contaminated seaweed found in area (VIDEO) December 22, 2011
- Video: I know this sounds incredible… but there’s 40 miles of unlined trenches used for dumping radioactive waste at leaking U.S. nuclear site #Hanford March 5, 2013