“Safe” radiation levels after Japan’s Fukushima nuclear disaster challenged by citizens, Georgia Straight, August 25, 2011L:
In April, the Japanese government raised its maximum limit for children from one to 20 millisieverts per year, a level that leads to 2,270 cancers annually per million people (or 160,000 lifetime cancers per million), according to data in a landmark 2006 U.S. National Academy of Sciences report on radiation cancer risk. A massive outcry later forced the government to reverse the move.
About a fifth of the 1,600 schools in Fukushima prefecture were exposed to at least 20 milliseiverts of radiation this year, according to a Bloomberg story in July. [...]
The Canadian ceiling for radiation is set at a level that causes 7.3 cancers per million people each year, according to Health Canada’s website—or 511 lifetime cancers over 70 years of exposure per million people. Spread over 33 million Canadians, that’s 17,000 lifetime cancers. (About half are fatal.) [...]
[...] Canada’s radiation ceiling is 50 to 500 times more permissive than Health Canada guidelines for carcinogenic chemicals. Those generally are restricted to a level that causes a maximum of one to 10 lifetime cancers per million people.
“The nuclear industry has taken upon itself the ability to set its own standards independent of how we get them for other carcinogens,” [Gordon Edwards, president of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility] said.
h/t Anonymous tip
Published: August 25th, 2011 at 3:48 pm ET
- Major US Paper Editorial: Some scientists predict 1 million people will die from cancer due to radiation exposure after Fukushima December 17, 2011
- Paper: First Japan debris hits US, Canada — People warned about radiation — Recommended for Police to have Geiger counters — “Bodies will likely begin washing up in about a year” December 15, 2011
- Nuclear Experts: Million cancers could result from Fukushima — Already hundreds of times more thyroid cancers… “Just the tip of the iceberg… worst is yet to come” — “Enormous spikes in cancer… devastating health effects” (VIDEO) November 7, 2015
- Japan Paper: Now 104 children diagnosed with cancer of thyroid in Fukushima — New results show 5-fold increase in rate of suspected/confirmed cancers August 26, 2014
- Gundersen: I’m very afraid for people far away from Fukushima; Million cancers possible — Japanese Interpreter: “Infant death increasing steadily… already shows effect of radiation, I think it’s important to share this with you” (VIDEO) March 3, 2014