(Subscription Only) Title: PROMETHEUS TRAP (1): U.S. frustrated with Japan’s initial response to Fukushima
Source: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Author: Hiroyoshi Itabashi and Hidefumi Nogami
Date: January 28, 2013
Between late on March 14, 2011, and early the next morning, a top secret diplomatic cable arrived at the Foreign Ministry. [...]
“The United States has made various preparations to deal with the nuclear accident. The president is also very concerned,” the cable went on to say.
By invoking the White House, [Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff] impressed upon Japanese Embassy officials that not just the U.S. military but the entire U.S. government was worried about how the situation was developing. [...]
At 7 a.m. [on March 15], a situation arose which the U.S. military is still keeping quiet about.
At Yokosuka Naval Base, which lies about 300 kilometers from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, alarms went off indicating an increase in radiation levels. All women and children on the base were immediately ordered to evacuate. [...]
U.S. government officials who were notified became very concerned because of the possibility that the Yokosuka Naval Base, considered of major strategic importance in East Asia, would become inoperable if the situation at the Fukushima plant worsened. [...]
See also: "Really troubling" wind shift said NRC: 1,000 microSv thyroid dose south of Tokyo over ten hour period on Mar. 14 reported US Navy -- 300km from Fukushima -- "This reminds me of the drill"
Published: January 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm ET
- Japan Expert: Second explosion was “more like a bomb” at Fukushima — Spent nuclear fuel flew 30 kilometers away, pellets collected by military — Very strange materials like europium were found — Should have evacuated out to 300 kilometers (VIDEO) October 7, 2013
- Official: We were told “evacuate to at least 100 kilometers” after 3/11 because Fukushima Daiichi was going to explode (VIDEO) January 2, 2013
- Cesium in fish off Chiba coast exceeds radiation limit for first time — 200 kilometers from Fukushima plant — Due east of Tokyo February 18, 2013
- Japan Times: Radiation level in Fukushima town 400 times higher than in Tokyo — 10 kilometers from Daiichi May 18, 2013
- Video: Black radioactive material being reported 100 kilometers south of Fukushima Daiichi March 16, 2013