Inside Fukushima, PBS Newshour, Feb. 28, 2014: [Fukushima Daiichi's] nuclear cores are between 600 and 800 feet from the harbor. Three of those cores are now melted down, still steaming hot, their steel containment structures breached. Engineers believe some of the nuclear fuel has melted right through the steel containment vessels on to a concrete basement floor, where it is exposed to groundwater. As the ground water passes through the pump, it gets mixed in with the contaminated water that is used to cool the melted-down cores. [...] Each and every day, about 100,000 gallons of fresh groundwater seeps into the basements of the plant, where it becomes contaminated with a witch’s brew of radionuclide. [...] no one disputes the plant is steadily leaking radiation-tainted water into the sea. [...] There are many things that will have to be done here that have never been done before in order to decommission this plant. [...] the crisis has not ended here. In some ways, it is still unfolding.
Interview with Dr. Gordon Edwards, nuclear expert and president of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility, Feb. 23, 2014: At 31:45 in — When the nuclear core melts down, it goes right down into the ground, right down to the bottom of the reactor, sometimes right through the floor of the reactor into the ground below […] At 34:30 in — The fuel [at Fukushima] that melted down into the ground, that’s very, very — so radioactive that no worker can look at it.
Published: March 1st, 2014 at 1:58 pm ET
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima fuel suspected to be in ground… “it’s going to melt right down into the ground” when heat isn’t removed, that’s why these are so dangerous — Physician: “3 of Fukushima’s reactors melted through containment… the crisis is clearly ongoing” (VIDEO) August 18, 2014
- Nuclear Engineer: “Very huge catastrophe” for melted fuel to burn into ground — Radioactive material “will go all around the world” once in underground water — Chernobyl made cement barrier below reactor, #Fukushima did not (VIDEO) February 1, 2014
- NHK: Officials admit it may be impossible to stop leaking at Fukushima reactors — Will be investigating ‘bottom of containment vessels’ for holes — Gov’t asking engineers from outside Japan for help with melted fuel (VIDEOS) April 30, 2014
- Japan Nuclear Expert: Melted fuel may have gone through cement floor and into ground under Fukushima reactors — I don’t believe Tepco’s claim for one second — Where in the world is it? (VIDEO) August 23, 2012
- Nuclear Experts: Portion of Fukushima’s molten fuel believed to have “moved into earth” — Melted cores contacting groundwater may be cause of recent spike in radiation levels -CTV August 24, 2013