Fukushima revisited with Miles O’Brien, BURN: An Energy Journal, March 2014:
- At 5:00 in – Alex Chadwick, host: There are traces of this water approaching the West Coast of the US, is this a cause for worry?
- At 5:05 - Miles O’Brien, journalist: Well, no one likes to see the ocean filled with cesium-134 and -137 and strontium and so forth… The truth of the matter is that this plume, once it arrives at the West Coast of the US — which is really happening as we speak — once it arrives, it is so diluted that it really is far, far below… drinking water standards.
- At 7:45 – O’Brien: Nobody likes the idea of eating cesium from Fukushima.
- At 10:00 - O’Brien: It’s very difficult to get a handle on all the leaks that they have and of course as a result there is tainted water that is being dumped into the Pacific as we speak. The actual impact on the ocean appears to be fairly well limited to the harbor around the Fukushima plant.
Ocean far below drinking water standards on West Coast? See Seafood off N. American coast predicted to exceed gov’t radioactivity limit — “High priority looming threat” to global ocean from Fukushima releases — Radiation levels ‘well above’ 1,000 Bq/kg according to model
Limited to man-made harbor/port/bay around plant? See Japan Times: Prime Minister telling "outright lie"? -- Experts: Nuclear material "has kept gushing into Pacific far beyond man-made bay" -- Fukushima fisherman: "He must be kidding... he doesn't know what's going"
Published: April 25th, 2014 at 7:41 pm ET
- Gundersen: Ocean already contaminated from deluge of Fukushima toxic water — Will stop eating fish from west coast — Cesium at 1,000% normal levels in middle of Pacific August 23, 2013
- TV: Gov’t not measuring worst of Fukushima radiation — Over 100 Million gallons of radioactive water bleeding into ocean from plant — We’re beginning to see radiation in west coast water — Very concerned about eating fish from Pacific (VIDEO) April 1, 2014
- Official: “Unfortunately, the fuel itself is exposed” at Fukushima — Scientist: Our tests show contamination isn’t going away… reactors are leaking out into ocean… there’s still a problem — PBS: Plume of water tainted with radiation is reaching to other side of Pacific (VIDEO) August 7, 2014
- Fox News: So many people are concerned about eating Fukushima radioactive waste — Bloomberg: Radiation will be washing up on West Coast; Includes cesium, one of the “most dangerous radionuclides” released (VIDEO) February 3, 2014
- Hundreds of tons of radioactive water now being intentionally dumped into Pacific at Fukushima plant — Tepco: “We’d like to express our sincere appreciation” — Nuclear water stored since last year to be dumped next week — Official: Tepco “utterly inept” at taking accurate radiation readings (VIDEO) May 21, 2014