Gov’t tests find plutonium in fish caught off Japan coast

Published: June 27th, 2012 at 7:10 am ET

UPDATE: 'Breaking News': South Korea bans 35 Japanese seafood products due to Fukushima radiation fears

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
Source: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/houdou/2r98520000023p4a-att/2r98520000023pas.pdf

• Plutonium-239, and -240 detected (Highest was in anchovy at 0.019 mBq/kg)
  • Fish from offshore Onahama port, at depth of between 120 and 300 meters
  • 60km from Fukushima Daiichi
  • Samples taken on June 21, 2011 and frozen
  • Analysis done by the National Institute of Radiological Sciences

English Translation via Google:

h/t Fukushima Diary, FRCSR

Published: June 27th, 2012 at 7:10 am ET

1. Fish with cesium near gov’t limit caught hundreds of miles from Fukushima January 19, 2013
  2. Japan Times: “There could be hot spots under the sea” says Tokyo prof. — “No telling when contamination levels will peak” — 1/3 of fish caught in Gunma lake over max. cesium limit February 4, 2012
  3. Cesium in fish off Chiba coast exceeds radiation limit for first time — 200 kilometers from Fukushima plant — Due east of Tokyo February 18, 2013
  4. U.S. scientists find Fukushima cesium in turtles, whales, fish March 19, 2013
  5. CNN: Scientists surprised by high levels of radioactive silver in fish off Japan coast February 22, 2012

48 comments to Gov’t tests find plutonium in fish caught off Japan coast

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

This is the saddest news I've heard in this miserable story.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Fuck.
    This is what someone from the industry has to say about Plutonium:
    "Years ago, as a part of my career in engineering, I had the occasion of working on yet another weapons system for Uncle Sam — this project took me out to Lawrence Livermore to help out in the development of the next generation of nuclear weapons — smaller, lighter, more powerful. The building in which my team worked was totally dedicated to plutonium — it was more of a containment bunker than a lab. To get into the building to work, you had to undergo a two day training session that included things like wearing a respirator facial mask, emergency evacuation procedures, and most important — safety procedures to avoid any kind of exposure to the Pu. We were instructed that ANY amount of Pu inhaled, swallowed, or in any way introduced into the blood stream would kill you – ANY AMOUNT – there was NO minimum dosage that could be tolerated by the human body. Period. Any effort to down-play the danger of Pu in the discharge at Fukashima is purely a public relations effort to minimize public panic. Now you know."

that was a comment under a truth-out article.

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

Samples were collected June 2011 and frozen. 1/1,000,000th of a gram of Plutonium may kill you. 20/1,000,000th's of a gram will kill you. I guess it would take less for children.

• ShutItAllDown

Stick a fork in us, we're done.

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

Life. Too cheap to meter.

• PhilipUpNorth philipupnorth

The loss of the Pacific Ocean fishery is a great loss to the human race. Too sad for words. Nukes allegedly to generate some electricity? Probably not worth this outcome, no matter how you run the dollars. Shut nukes down, now. Let's try to get out of this without any further/future loses.

• harengus_acidophilus

You can eliminate the word "pacific",
      because there are no borders in the global ocean.

It's just a matter of time…

h.

• or-well

Yes harengus !
        There is only one World Ocean, as there is only one Biosphere, with all its' bio-regions interlinked and interdependent.
        It's time for a "post-border" consciousness and…
        well, best I let my rant-suppression program kick in.

• many moons

The level of apathy all around is truly amazing.
      Also, when I speak with people about these events, no one cares. I think many have no idea of what eating fish with radiation is all about, they just keep thinking everything is fine. I think the fishing industry as a future as long as there is no testing there is no outcome, no report, no problem…lets just keep inventing reality!!!!
      The nuclear industry has destroyed the pacific ocean but does not appear to be suffering! There have been no new regulations, no closings due to fukushima. What has changed besides the personal suffering of many people?

• WindorSolarPlease

Agree +100 many moons

• It's like brainwashed zombie-like people in a science fiction movie. Seriously. They even have that apathetic long gaze and 'mouth opened' goofy look about them.

My opinion:
        If everyone turned off/unplugged their TVs that would do 2 things.

1. It would slow down the subliminal numbing.
        2. It would immediately save a lot of energy.
        (NPP's supply only about 17% of our power anyway.)

Just an idea.

["Kill your TV"] – bumper sticker I saw in Oregon.

Someone in conversation the other day said, "People think they program their televisions, but really, their televisions program them."

It made me think.

• So now what? Homeland security will be after terrorists intent on catching fish and squeezing the plutonium out of them?

• Sickputer

I would think our disgust and anger should be directed not at the actual confirmation of deadly plutonium in fish flesh, but at the fact it took over a year to release the information.

The tuna samples in America were also many months delayed. I hope the fish-buying public actually becomes aware of the potential death awaiting them on their plate. Most naked apes far from the epicenter are too stupid to understand the danger. In Japan the knowledge is more widespread, but poor people still have to eat. The risk of dying immediately from starvation outweighs the 5 to 50 year lag for plutonium-induced cancer death. The poor people who have moved back into restricted zones in Chernobyl have no other options for short-term survival.

People who have more resources and make educated decisions will have a better chance of survival in the post-apocalypse Fukushima era. This is a guiding tenet of Toffler's book Future Shock.

Taking apple pectin supplements should be on the must list of Japanese and anyone who wants extra protection. Purging radiation ingested through food will help enhance the survival odds. Many other lifestyle changes can help, but taking fish (especially freshwater and smaller fish) off the home table is one step all Japanesr should employ if financially capable. Just say no to fish should be the mantra for everyone in Japan. As the pollution unfolds in the Pacific all fish sold becomes suspect regardless of your location on planet earth.

• FACT! Over a year.

P L U T O N I U M

I am not sure if or when people will actually listen and start to understand the true severity of this catastrophe. Maybe when the coverups of the illnesses and the suffering are fully exposed and undeniably 'in your face' obvious.

Suggestion for the NRC's political playbook manual of canned responses.
      "PROBABLY, of no immediate concern."

When in reality. (which is where we are)
      The statement should be. (should have been)
      "ABSOLUTELY, this IS an immediate concern!"
      ___________

Future Shock – (1/5)

Interesting how at 1:50 he's walking through the airport while smoking a cigarette. Things DO change. Just carrying matches or a lighter would get him in hot water nowadays.

• or-well

Little Plutonium-Kun
    - pro-nuke cartoon shill -
    left this codicil in his secret Will:

"When I'm dead, as I'll surely be,
    having had no chance to grow past Childhood,
    and against my wishes used for no Good,
    desire made known these my Beliefs -
    No Child to Plutonium should be exposed
    even if only of ink composed.
    No Child trusting be subject to Lies
    and all but Truth be taught to despise.
    No Child victim of what destroys health,
    for they are the Future, and all nations' wealth.
    No Child by Teachers humbled or shamed
    for refusing to bow to Authority, tame.
    No Child fed what is unclean,
    as poisoning Children exceeds what's obscene.
    No Child fed to the maw of Society
    ruled by men for whom Power is Deity.
    No Child forced to remain where is danger,
    to deliberate risk make them all strangers.
    No Childs' suffering to be ignored,
    for them must full Human Rights be restored.
    No Child…………………"

That's all that remains,
    what I found in lead box hidden,
    carefully by a childs' hand printed,
    the rest ashes, as if, to hide by burning,
    was destruction attempted of his deep yearning.
    From the grave victims do speak,
    - if any would hear -
    and these are the words from a child forced to bear
    the manipulations of those who are pro-nuclear.

• kintaman kintaman

Yet there they are starting to sell fish from Fukushima:

Insanity.

• Ron

OT, sorry.

I know someone who lives in Oregon who swears to have seen 8 foot (2 1/2 meter) tall dandelions growing in someone else's backyard. Says the stem, more like a trunk is 5 inches in diameter. Where I live I found one with a stem diameter about as big across as my thumb, which I thought was pretty big until this. I wonder how big they get naturally?

• Ron

Just a thought about #4. Maybe a bad idea. I'm wondering about Tepco slinging some cables around the SPF, held by some of those giant cranes they have, then cutting the steel girders around it off and lifting the whole thing to the ground, or to the back of some waiting transportation?

• weeman

Once these toxins make their way into plankton it will work it's way through the whole food chain.
    What is the effect of radiation on plankton, does it kill them or accumulate.
    Are we doomed if we remove the fundamental start to food chain.
    What caused melt down tsunami or earthquake, we need the proper answer to this question, don't start reactors till we know

• WindorSolarPlease

Weeman I agree..Plankton filters out about 70 to 80 percent of our oxygen.

Anyone watching how the Plankton is doing?

• RubyGlare

I think people everywhere will need to begin "farming" plankton & tear out the irradiated kind. We have the gps stationary buoys to create "Ocean farmland", just has to be started. Like cattle, people may have fish farms hopefully with regulations preventing poisons/toxins/etc from being in them

• hill hermit

The information is out there. After hundreds of hours of research I can say earthquake. At least for Fukushima #1(rad release before tsunami) and likely for #2/3 as well. However you should NOT take my word for it. If you truly want to know you will simply have to spend the time and effort yourself.

• Cisco Cisco

This should be good news for Bumble Bee, Chicken of the Sea, and other canned tuna processors. They'll save millions. No need to cook the tuna now, it will cook itself on its way to your favorite supermarket.

Note: Sometime ago, Russia rejected a shipment of radioactive cars and car parts.

All products from Japan should be tested for radiation, no exceptions. I, for one, will no longer buy any products from Japan, no exceptions.

• weeman

I would not buy any thing from Japan food or cars.
      We must insist that all product from Japan and SURROUDING countries be tested if not everyone must boycott products from general area, that will cause other countries near Japan to get involved and insist on testing to prove their products are safe, especially China, then we will have testing.

• Cisco Cisco

Right on, weeman.

I'm sure Japan is already transshipping lots of its products to disguise “country of origin” status. By launching a “not from Japan” boycott, the MSM would be drawn into the big story. It’s all about the money…economics.

That assh#le Jim Cramer of Mad Money on CNBC might even get drawn in as to potential downward pressure on Japanese companies’ stocks.
        Think about it?

• kintaman kintaman

Weeman you are right. I have boycotted any and all items from Japan for two reasons:

1) Contamination concerns. I do not trust anything any officials in Japan say. They are concerned ONLY with the economy and restoring Japan's pre-3.11 image (impossible).

2) I do not want to support any nation that lies to their people and the world about the most disastrous man-made event in our history.

I say thing being of Japanese descent and having left Japan asap after 3.11, leaving my life and relatives behind for the sake of my family and our future. Fuck everything about Japan, not the people, but the corporate and government level. Seriously. Fuck them. If they think I will buy anything from their shithole contaminated nation again, dream on. Japan was always my greatest pride since I was a child, it was always "made in Japan" is best for me. But now I have only shame, disgust and extreme anger.

• WindorSolarPlease

It's not easy finding out if "parts" or even the "product" comes from Japan.

On the bottom it might say distributed by bla bla State, but where do they get it?

Anything from there should be tested and it won't be. I'm not really sure that it matters anymore, we already have Fukushima here.

• Cisco Cisco

Good point WSP, you can thank your government for that. They're about protecting the economics first, citizens take a back seat.

• WindorSolarPlease

It's not just in our government, most governments protect the economics first, and citizens take a back seat.

I can understand protecting the economics up to a point, but not when it causes citizens danger.

• aSpadeisaSpade aSpadeisaSpade

The economy is (and always has been) far more important to the elite who populate our governments, than the welfare of their citizens. Money is the only thing which is really important to them – the only thing they understand.

That is why in some of my early posts to ENENEWS last year I urged the Japanese people to hit them (TPTB) where it hurts most. I urged the Japanese people to shut down the Japanese economy for a week or two by everyone calling in sick with the "blue flu."

I believe that the short-term devastation of the Japanese economy would have focused international attention on the huge problem at Fukushima, and garnered an international effort to solve the problem.

The government(s) can cover up the full extent of a nuclear accident for quite a while, but they would never be able to cover up a total shut-down of Japan. The world's markets would reverberate with the ramifications of such an event.

I fear that it is too late for such a tactic now.

• dunno

Toxicity of plutonium is exaggerated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium#Toxicity:
    "Several populations of people who have been exposed to plutonium dust (e.g. people living down-wind of Nevada test sites, Hiroshima survivors, nuclear facility workers, and "terminally ill" patients injected with Pu in 1945–46 to study Pu metabolism) have been carefully followed and analyzed. These studies generally do not show especially high plutonium toxicity or plutonium-induced cancer results. "There were about 25 workers from Los Alamos National Laboratory who inhaled a considerable amount of plutonium dust during 1940s; according to the hot-particle theory, each of them has a 99.5% chance of being dead from lung cancer by now, but there has not been a single lung cancer among them."

• hill hermit

Radiation exposure is best thought of as the lottery.
      Even buying 1000 tickets with 1000:1 odds does not guarantee you win.
      Only with radiation when you win you lose.

• retali8 retali8

Dunno~ you are acting like a shill,
      This is what shills are paid to do, in order to protect there precious nuclear industry and there incomes,
      If the truth was out there, nuclear power would be finished and we are totally doomed, there's just too many reactors open for my liking, need them shut down ASAP.
      This foreign professor in Japan pleaded with me , plutonium hasn't been released by Fukushima, really?? They are desperate to think its not out in the open because it spells the end of Japan.

• richard richard

No matter the toxicity, you have to be brain dead or morally vacant to accept poisoning the environment, just because your overlords tell you there's no problem.

Seriously, why would you accept any plutonium?

I wanted to give you space 'dunno', I figure everyone's got a right of speech.

But I can't let this one go, I had to say something.