Mainichi, Oct. 21, 2013: Another powerful typhoon [...] is taking a similar course to that of Typhoon Wipha, which caused massive damage to Oshima Island and other parts of the Kanto region around Tokyo. [...] The Meteorological Agency is urging the public to pay close attention to information released on the typhoon.
Reuters, Oct. 21, 2013: Super typhoon Francisco is forecast to strike Japan as a tropical storm at about 09:00 GMT on 25 October. [...] Francisco is expected to bring 1-minute maximum sustained winds to the region of around 101 km/h (63 mph). Wind gusts in the area may be considerably higher. [...]
Arirang News, Oct. 21, 2013: There looks to be two tropical storms, Francisco and Lekima, which are expected to hit the east coast of Japan around Thursday. As the storm may indirectly affect Korea’s weather, our viewers in Korea should check back in for updates as the week progresses.
Korea Times, Oct. 21, 2013: [...] According to the Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) though, Typhoons Francisco and Lekima will most likely hit Japan [...] Typhoon Francisco [...] packs winds gusts over 169 kilometers an hour. The agency expected that it will head north, but may veer to the East Sea, making landfall near Tokyo. [...] Typhoon Lekima was detected five days later. Though it was small-sized and weak, the KMA expected it may pick up strength and develop into a severe tropical storm (STS). [...] The KMA [...] said the two typhoons could meet. “When two or more typhoons collide, they affect each other’s path and strength. It’s called the Fujiwara effect,” said weather forecaster Hur Jin-ho. “Though we are expecting that they are moving along their own paths, there still is the possibility that the two could change course,” he said. [...]
Published: October 21st, 2013 at 12:50 pm ET
- NHK: Powerful typhoon now battering Japan, winds at 162 kilometers/hr — Fukushima in center of forecast track (VIDEO) September 29, 2012
- Japan Times: Concern mounts at Fukushima, big typhoons may collide — Francisco to be “unable to move” due to Lekima, says forecast — High threat of landslides, flash floods (PHOTO) October 23, 2013
- Super typhoon on course for Japan — Winds up to 190 mph, could soon be Category 5 storm — “May follow Typhoon Wipha’s path” … “Developed in a similar area” (VIDEO) October 19, 2013
- TV: Powerful typhoon bearing down on Japan — Prolonged heavy rainfall for Fukushima, and “the tanks are full” — “Potentially devastating interaction” with Typhoon Lekima, now a Category 5 (VIDEO) October 23, 2013
- Weather Channel: Typhoon Francisco “merging with cold front” — High threat of mudslides, floods from heavy rainfall — Another wave developing in Pacific (VIDEO) October 24, 2013