Published: November 1st, 2011 at 11:09 pm ET

Nov. 1 — “Xenon was detected in the order of 10^-5 (ten to the power of minus 5) per cubic centimeter, says TEPCO’s Matsumoto in the press conference that is on-going right now in Japan,” reports EX-SKF, “It is significant enough to conclude it is not from March.”

“Matsumoto does think a localized, small-scale, and/or temporary nuclear fission may have occurred in Reactor 2,” the article continues.

Some possibilities put forth by TEPCO to explain the detection of xenon-133 and -135 include:

• “Neutrons that exist inside the reactor hitting uranium or plutonium”
  • “Curium-244, -242, causing ‘spontaneous fission’”

Click for full-size TEPCO handout

See also: ALERT: "Fission restarted" at Fukushima Reactor No. 2 -- Jiji, NHK report detection of Xenon-135 -- TEPCO now injecting boric acid

Published: November 1st, 2011 at 11:09 pm ET

1. NHK: Curium-242 and -244 to blame for ‘spontaneous’ nuclear fission at Reactor No. 2, not uranium -Tepco November 3, 2011
  2. TEPCO: If nuclear chain reaction is happening, it is ‘small-scale’ — NHK: Xenon created when there is nuclear fission of uranium-235 November 1, 2011
  3. Japan Times: It is now a “grave situation” at Fukushima — “Plutonium fission” mentioned for first time — “Criticality is very likely to have occurred” November 3, 2011
  4. Kyoto Nuke Expert: This amount of xenon would not be detected unless melted fuel had “fission chain reaction” — Xe-133, -135 usually not present, even during operation of reactors November 2, 2011
  5. FOX: Radiation may have been released from Reactor No. 2 — TEPCO scheduled for 10pm EST press conference November 1, 2011

36 comments to Press Conference: Nuclear fission may also be happening in Reactors No. 1 and 3 — Curium mentioned… MORE

• theonlyjesse

Yes, yes it would be. But will they?

• StillJill StillJill

Yes,…their lies still telegraph quite a lot.
    We see what they are trying to steer us away from,…and Wholla-more poopy diaper.

• StillJill StillJill

That’s it,…iodine-131, and two cesiums? That’s all they tested for?

And look at this wording!

“Also, we will reevaluate and compile the nuclide analysis results on the
    main three nuclides and other nuclides as confirmed results and report
    them to the NISA of METI and the Fukushima Prefecture.”

• theonlyjesse

Surely more info will be released shortly, I reckon our bloggers are getting their translations worked out?

regardless, the iodine-131 and the two C’s actually made me chuckle a little. the fact that I can believe that’s all they said in that report, is unbelievable.

• Bobby1

Xenon-135 has a half-life of 9 hours, this happened very recently. Look at all that krypton.

Are all 3 coriums going nuclear?

• dosdos dosdos

Leave it to TEPCO to measure using cubic centimeters to downplay the figures to something tiny and seemingly insignificant.
    1.2X10^-5 bq/cm3 = 120 bequerels/cubic meter
    4.7X10^1 bq/cm3 = 47,000,000 bequerels/cubic meter

The table in the bottom left showing Xenon 131m at units 1-3 are not trivial amounts. All three are in the tens of millions bq/m3.

• Bobby1

Right, multiply by a million to get it in terms of the more familiar cubic meters. Or add 6 to the exponents.

• Any way you can email a detailed translation of this document. We model radionuclide dispersion and these piecemail actually come in handy.

For example what is the Cs137 7.0e-1 bq/cm-3 column?

• lam335 lam335

“The TEPCO spokesman said, “It would be difficult to deny that the same thing is not happening in Reactors 1 and 3,” according to EX-SKF.”

???????

It would be difficult to deny it??? It’s never stopped them before. That says to me that things must have take a real turn for the worse [worst?].

• Anthony Anthony

From the beginning that language tends to mean exactly what it alludes to. A bit of a sideways approach to things that make them uncomfy with the excuse it is us who are unable to accept and process the whole truth bullshit.

• I feel as if I’ve been living in dread of another explosion for months now and I wonder whether that time is now imminent?

They have been very successful in suppression through their nitrogen injections.

Maybe borox (sp?) will work.

However, this news is really concerning because they are rupturing their official narrative of “all is well and cold shut down is near” and there must be very good reasons why…

The uncertainty is emotionally exhausting.

• lam335 lam335

There’s not a word about any of this on the main pages of CNN, Fox, BBC, or Reuters–nor on Drudge (Report or Retort).

At least Fox had a little blip about #2 earlier

• theonlyjesse

This disaster made me lose all respect for Drudge as an unbiased news source.

they ignored every link and tip I sent in on the subject, not even a response, let alone an article or two put on Drudgereport. =/

• theonlyjesse

I’m isolating Drudge on that list, as the others have been unreliable since reuters stopped updating their live blog on Fukushima.

• lam335 lam335

Yes–Drudge also ignored my story tips–though at least he mentioned Fukushima a few times. As far as I could tell last spring, The Drudge Retort never even mentioned Fukushima at all. I used to view both pages several times a day, but after they sidelined Fukushima and its plume in favor of petty partisan stuff, I stopped.

Unfortunately, I didn’t know about Energy News or Fairewinds back then. I really wish that I had.

I just spoke to my mom back home in PA and they hadn’t heard about Fukushima acting up again.

• theonlyjesse

Initially Drudge covered the Quake, then the tsunami, and then briefly the very first battle at the plant. and then nothing but bloody silence.

The NUCLEAR disaster will have a much larger impact on far more than one coastline of one island nation. and I believe it an insult to the entire world that it is ignored in favour of the natural disasters that preceded it.

• Bobby1

Curium is every bit as deadly as plutonium.

• lam335 lam335

“He thinks the possibility of re-criticality is low with the damaged fuel melted together with control rods and other things. Even if it does happen as the reactor is cooled further and the amount of water increases, TEPCO thinks it can be controlled by carefully monitoring the temperature and pressure.”
    < <<<<<<

I’m not an engineer, but I thought the fuel was more likely to go critical when it was all in one big lump compared to when it is in the rod form. I thought it was when too much of it was too close together that criticality happens.

I also thought it was HARDER to cool it and thereby control it when it is in the blob shape.

• Sickputer

At any rate…with the constant daily releases Tokyo is getting the isotopes we knew 8 months ago would eventually pollute the city…the government sneaks won’t be able to plant enough radium bottles to coverup the growing hotspots.

In the next ten days the weather forecast predicts rain in Tokyo and 7 of those days have winds blowing from Fukushima Daiichi:

If for soem reason a reactor building explodes in the next few days it is really going to make a bigger mess and probably make even the zombie sheeples get a little rattled.

• Didn’t they recently have another earthquake; I wonder if somehow messed up their cooling system.

and the PR departments. why this shift now to admit it is still burning?

• theonlyjesse

They did have one less than 120 kilometres from the plant within the past few days, somewhere between 5 and 5.2.

Must’ve shaken things up pretty well, considering that at the time it made headlines on a few sites. ( Japan has had over 1500 quakes since March 11th, and few of them make it to the headlines.)

• Bobby1

Xenon-135 has a half-life of 9 hours. Xenon-133 has a half-life of 5 days.

If the event that caused those isotope levels happened on Oct. 23, the approximate date of the last big Fuku release, the amount of Xe-135 would have been much larger than Xe-133 at that time.

This would indicate that an underground nuclear explosion had occurred then. It would also explain the europium found in Tokyo, not to mention the astronomical radiation levels at the hotspot.

• jec jec

The night webcam of Fukushima has shown unusual colors, rainbows, and “firefly” flashes of lights for the past week or so. And very vigorous “steam” outflow. Is this related to the re-criticality? A video capture of the October 23rd time frame might be informative to watch.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

oh I feel sick to my stomach… even though I have known.. when I look out at the sky, the haze is so strange.. I told my mother I feared we have had some event that has caused increased fall out.. we are expecting snow :( ..and Tepco is still in charge.. :( and Japan is exporting this horror as a way to pay for this horror :( …and my government does nothing :( I loved my planet! I am sorry great Mother Earth! Baaa zzzz baaaa zzzz going back to sheep…

• Au Au

“I loved this planet! I am so sorry great Mother Earth!”

If it would help, I would fall to my knees, tear my shirt, tear out my hair, wipe mud down my cheeks and cry out in sorrow and grief for Mother Earth. But, it would do nothing. All I can say also is, “I am so sorry Mother Earth” and worry with a heavy heart for our children and life on this planet. I don’t think it was cesium hurting my heart. I just think my heart is broken.

• Thanks for the report – we will work on modeling and plotting these source terms ASAP.

Any possibility you can post a detailed translation of this? For example what is the Cs137 7.0e-1 bq/cm-3 column? Additionally, does the document indicate flow (bq/hr) rate, total mass (bq), or total volume (m-3) of the measured location? Any of this info is greatly appreciated (you can email me datapoke->gmail.com)

Funny how Tepco is now changing units on us. Its important to understand 10^-5/cm-3 is 10^1/m-3.

We’ve recently plotted the plutonium and neptunium dispersion utilizing the leaked Tepco documented indicating the total amount of p-239 and np-239 emitted from the plant. This stuff sticks around for millions of years…

If you haven’t seen the dispersion maps for plutonium they are published here (you can click cancel at the login):

Thanks