Title: Fukushima Daiichi: A Chronological Account of the Disaster
Event: Helen Caldicott Foundation Symposium: The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident, Co-Sponsored by Physicians for Social Responsibility
Videographed & Edited by: Intertelemedia, Inc
Translated by: Kazko Kawai, Voices for Lively Spring
Subtitled by: East River Films Inc
Date: March 11, 2013
At 8:00 in
Hiroaki Koide, Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering, Assistant Professor at the Kyoto University Research Institute, Nuclear Waste Management & Safety Expert:
The Tohoku and Kanto Regions of Japan were extremely contaminated with radiation. [...]
If the laws of Japan were strictly observed, areas with soil contaminated over 40,000 Bq per sq. meter would be designated as radiation controlled areas.
However, the contamination areas was as large as 20,000 sq. km (7,700 sq. miles), which meant a vast zone in the Tohoku and Kanto Regions would have to be evacuated.
Faced with such a reality, the Japanese government decided it would never be able to help the people in these contaminated areas, and that the people would be abandoned and left there.
As of today, about 10 million people have been left in areas that should have been designated radiation controlled areas, and they are exposed to continual radiation every day.
Published: March 13th, 2013 at 10:42 am ET
- Report: Over 30 million permanently affected by Fukushima radiation; Number of people exposed triples Chernobyl — Japan Professor: 14,000 sq. kilometers heavily contaminated; Millions including kids and infants are exposed everyday after being abandoned by gov’t, it is very bizarre (AUDIO) March 14, 2015
- Japan Gov’t: Tokyo area hit with ‘unnoticed’ wave of Fukushima radioactive material — Newspapers: “Heavily contaminated… High-concentration radiation” — Prime Minister: “We were right on the verge” of evacuating 50 million people (AUDIO) September 8, 2014
- Tens of thousands still living today in highly contaminated areas around Fukushima plant — Effectively abandoned by gov’t -Nuclear Expert April 23, 2012
- Weekly Asahi: 70% of children tested in Kanto (a region that includes Tokyo) have radioactive cesium in their urine -Journalist #Fukushima October 1, 2013
- Top Official: Over 60 million Japanese irradiated by Fukushima — Nuclear Expert: 50,000 sq. miles of Japan highly contaminated… Many millions need to be evacuated… Gov’t has decided to sacrifice them, it’s a serious crime — TV: More than 70% of country contaminated by radiation (VIDEOS) April 12, 2016