Title: Fukushima Daiichi: A Chronological Account of the Disaster
Event: Helen Caldicott Foundation Symposium: The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident, Co-Sponsored by Physicians for Social Responsibility
Videographed & Edited by: Intertelemedia, Inc
Translated by: Kazko Kawai, Voices for Lively Spring
Subtitled by: East River Films Inc
Date: March 11, 2013
At 6:15 in
Hiroaki Koide, Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering, Assistant Professor at the Kyoto University Research Institute, Nuclear Waste Management & Safety Expert:
The cesium-137 that was released into the atmosphere by Units 1 through 3 was 168 times that of the Hiroshima bomb, according to the Japanese government report to the IAEA, an international organization which promotes nuclear power.
I myself believe this is probably an underestimate, and two or three times that amount, that is, 400 to 500 times the amount of cesium-137 of the Hiroshima atomic bomb has already been dispersed into the atmosphere.
At the same time, the radioactive materials that were dissolved in water were flowing into the ground, then out into the ocean.
I believe almost the same amount of radioactive material released into the air have probably flowed into the ocean.
Published: March 13th, 2013 at 2:32 am ET
- Nuclear Professor: 5,000 Hiroshima bombs worth of cesium-137 in spent fuel pool No. 4 — “Low estimate” (VIDEO) May 8, 2012
- Reuters: Corrosion is weakening Fukushima Unit No. 4 — Concern quake to ‘topple’ bulging structure — Holds 14,000 Hiroshima bombs worth of cesium-137 August 14, 2013
- Japan gov’t: Fukushima cesium equal to 168 Hiroshima nuclear bombs August 26, 2011
- Officials reveal about 2 Trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material flowed into ocean every month during 2013 — “Deadly strontium” releases now more than double cesium — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” (VIDEO) August 29, 2014
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima “like the worst nightmare becoming reality” — Released as much as 1,000 atomic bombs worth of radioactive material — “Everyone on earth has been exposed… an increase in cancer will be the result” March 11, 2016