Title: 6.9-magnitude earthquake strikes Japan’s Hokkaido
Date: February 2, 2013
A powerful 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck northern Japan on Saturday, causing strong tremors across Hokkaido island but generating no tsunami or immediate reports of damage, authorities said. [...]
Tremors from the powerful quake lasted for about a minute, according to NHK which warned of possible aftershocks.
Shortly before it hit, an alert was broadcast on television and radio, forecasting the impending quake, through an early warning system established by the weather agency.
Programmes were interrupted on NHK to broadcast information about the earthquake.
“Make yourself safe, turn off the gas, beware of falling objects, and if you are outside do not approach the coast,” the broadcaster said. [...]
See also: Asahi: Expert says Japan should be prepared for possibility of M10 quake -- "Days of tsunamis" -- Only 1 magnitude below asteroid strike (VIDEO)
Published: February 2nd, 2013 at 12:07 pm ET
- ABC: Major magnitude 7.2 quake strikes off northern Japan April 19, 2013
- Powerful M6.8 quake rocks NE Japan — Strongest to hit nation since 2011 — Official warns of upcoming aftershocks & tsunami, says tectonic plate is subducting in Pacific — CBS: Scientists detect month-long shaking on seafloor that could foreshadow mega quake similar to 3/11 (VIDEO) May 13, 2015
- UPI: Quake rocks northeast Japan — Intensity 5- out of 7 on seismic scale — Mainichi: M5.4 quake jolts eastern Japan — Near Fukushima border, buildings rocked in Tokyo (MAP) December 30, 2013
- Asahi: Expert says Japan should be prepared for possibility of M10 quake — “Days of tsunamis” — Only 1 magnitude below asteroid strike (VIDEO) November 23, 2012
- NHK: Tepco says it’s checking tanks of nuclear waste for quake damage — Official expects more aftershocks in Fukushima over next week, warns of mudslides September 19, 2013