Radiation levels increase 400 times in quake-hit province, Deutsche Presse-Agentur, March 13, 2011 at 2:41 am EST:
Experts in the north-eastern Japanese prefecture of Miyagi Sunday measured radiation levels 400 times above normal, the Kyodo News agency reported.
A spokesman of local electricity provider Tohuku said the reactors in the region were stable. Increased levels of radiation had been measured around the Onagawa power station, but it was believed that the radiation did not originate from that plant. …
It is believed that the radiation blew in from Fukushima province…
Although it is “believed” the radiation is coming form Fukushima, the Onagawa nuclear power station in Miyagi has suffered damage.
Japan earthquake and tsunami: fire breaks out at nuclear plant in Onagawa, Telegraph, March 11, 2011:
A fire broke out in the turbine building of Onagawa nuclear plant in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, on Friday after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake triggered a huge tsunami.
It was not immediately clear if there was a risk of a radioactive leak as a result of the fire at the plant operated by Tohoku Electric Power. Miyagi prefecture was one of the areas worst hit by the tsunami. …
Earlier Friday Prime Minister Naoto Kan had said no radiation leaks have been detected from Japan’s nuclear power stations after the massive quake struck the country.
Published: March 13th, 2011 at 8:35 am ET
- Edano urges Onagawa nuke plant owner to “ensure safety measures” for people living nearby May 5, 2011
- 100 miles from Fukushima: Leak from spent fuel pools at two reactors after 7.4 quake — Cooling system temporarily stopped April 8, 2011
- NY Times in Fukushima: “It’s all lies” from gov’t about radiation — They are forcing us to come back and live 10 miles from leaking nuclear plant — “This is inhumane” — “I want to run away, but… we have no more money” — Radiation still 300% previous levels April 28, 2014
- Cesium-137 levels 100 times normal levels in Osaka, 350 miles SW of Fukushima — First-ever detection of cesium-134 May 19, 2011
- U.S. Navy Officer: Radiation levels routinely exceeded 300 times normal for over a month far away from Fukushima, “yet I was given only gloves!” — My son was throwing up 30 to 40 times some days — “This basically ruined my life” (VIDEO) March 8, 2014