At 2:30 in
Anand Naidoo, CCTV anchor: From what we know about what is going on at the plant right now, is this going to get worse?
Dr. Janette Sherman, radiation expert: I hate say this, but yes I think it will. And my concern is the enormous amount of radioactive material flowing with the water into the Pacific Ocean. And we know that the ocean flows northward along Alaska and down the coast of Canada and the United States. And I think it probably will imperil the entire Pacific Ocean, and the the sea life that’s in it.
Naidoo: What you’re saying here is that this water can actually reach other shores, can reach other countries as well?
Sherman: Oh absolutely, we already know that.
Naidoo: The radioactive content in this water — does it dissipate, or does it just stay in the water all the time?
Sherman: Well both cesium and strontium have a half-life about thirty years. It takes 10 half-lives for each of these isotopes to decay down to nothing. We contaminate the plankton, and that’s eaten by shrimp and oysters and fish and mammals. And as most of these move up the food chain they get concentrated. Particularly strontium-90 gets concentrated in the bones.
Published: August 12th, 2013 at 8:40 pm ET
- Reports: “You can expect an enormous amount of cancers” around Pacific — “We’re all at risk, this radiated water is going to hit right here” in U.S. — We’re at top of food chain, so we get highest radiation dose — 35+ people now suffering cancer after U.S. rescue mission off Fukushima (VIDEO) December 23, 2013
- Expert: Plutonium contamination of Pacific Ocean food chain from Fukushima now suspected; “Real source of potential long term problems for humans” — Newspaper: “Leakage of highly contaminated water into sea must be dealt with immediately” — Gov’t: Effect on health of US public not ‘significant’ (VIDEO) September 14, 2014
- Canadian University Scientist: Test seafood for Fukushima contamination — Continuous inputs for 2 years and counting will lead to ample opportunity for re-concentrating up food chain — Simply not enough being done on this side of Pacific August 22, 2013
- ABC in Fukushima: Radiation to be at U.S. coast early this year — Expert concerned about effects on food chain from unprecedented amount of migrating radioactivity — They tried to stop leaks, it’s just not working — Tepco: We don’t know what’s gone into ocean (VIDEO) January 10, 2014
- TV: Fukushima contamination will reach U.S. or Canada by 2016 — Radioactive material in ocean will have only ‘slightly decreased’ from current levels (VIDEO) August 23, 2013