Title: Greenpeace: Fukushima victims are victims once again
Author: Gui Hao
Date: March 7, 2013
[...] Heinz Smital, of Greenpeace, believes residents are being kept in the dark over the dangers.
You recently measured the radioactivity in and around Fukushima for Greenpeace Germany. What were your findings?
The radioactivity there is still very high. In the city of Fukushima, which has some 300,000 inhabitants, there are still children’s playgrounds that are highly contaminated. The values we measured there on the ground were 200 times higher than before the nuclear accident. In the evacuated ghost towns where there has been a great effort to clean things up, we have found that the radiation has not declined. It simply isn’t going away. [...]
Have people been given enough information by the authorities about how great the risk is?
The health risks are played down, in part because it is something that can’t be dealt with. It’s not possible to decontaminate whole swathes of land, mountains, rivers and riverbanks. You can’t get rid of that contamination. Now there is an effort underway to get people to accept the higher radiation levels. They say it doesn’t have any effects, to stop people from worrying. In this respect, the victims of the disaster are becoming victims once again in that they are being encouraged to accept living in areas where the radiation levels are too high. [...]
See also: Headline: "Rising doubts about Japan's official radiation figures" -- Large cities still exposed to high levels of radioactivity from Fukushima plant
Published: March 7th, 2013 at 12:58 pm ET
- Researchers found Cesium-137 over 50 million times normal levels December 11, 2011
- Washington Post: It’s an environmental disaster, radioactivity levels in ocean hundreds of times above normal — NHK: Countries around Pacific worried about ongoing Fukushima leaks, gov’t wants testing up to 3,000 km offshore (VIDEO) October 22, 2013
- NY Times in Fukushima: “It’s all lies” from gov’t about radiation — They are forcing us to come back and live 10 miles from leaking nuclear plant — “This is inhumane” — “I want to run away, but… we have no more money” — Radiation still 300% previous levels April 28, 2014
- Radiation expert back from Japan: “Clear that the situation in Fukushima is rapidly spinning out of control” — “Gov’t doesn’t know how to deal with the massive contamination” December 8, 2011
- U.S. Navy Officer: Radiation levels routinely exceeded 300 times normal for over a month far away from Fukushima, “yet I was given only gloves!” — My son was throwing up 30 to 40 times some days — “This basically ruined my life” (VIDEO) March 8, 2014