Dr Ian Fairlie, radiation biology expert educated at Princeton Univ. who has worked for the UK government and European Parliament (pdf), Aug 2015 (emphasis added): … the human toll from Fukushima is horrendous: 2,000 Japanese people have died from the evacuations and another 5,000 are expected to die from future cancers… Recently, Dr Alfred Körblein from Nuremburg in Germany noticed a 15% drop (statistically speaking, highly significant) in the numbers of live births in Fukushima Prefecture in December 2011… He also observed a (statistically significant) 20% increase in the infant mortality rate in 2012… The official widely-observed policy is that small amounts of radiation are harmless: scientifically speaking this is untenable… the Japanese Government is attempting to increase the public limit for radiation in Japan from 1 mSv to 20 mSv per year… This is not only unscientific, it is also unconscionable… In sum, the health toll from the Fukushima nuclear disaster is horrendous… The Fukushima accident is still not over and its ill-effects will linger for a long time into the future. However we can say now that the nuclear disaster at Fukushima delivered a huge blow to Japan and its people… It is impossible not to be moved by the scale of Fukushima’s toll in terms of deaths, suicides, mental ill-health and human suffering. Fukushima’s effect on Japan is similar to Chernobyl’s massive blow…
Dr Fairlie, Aug 20, 2015: Fukushima… Thousands More Will Die… [It's] difficult for lay people and journalists to understand what the real situation is… The 2013 UNSCEAR Report has estimated that the collective dose to the Japanese population from Fukushima is 48,000 person Sv: this is a very large dose… it can be reliably estimated… that about 5,000 fatal cancers will occur in Japan in future from Fukushima’s fallout… Plus similar (unquantified) numbers of radiogenic strokes, CVS diseases and hereditary diseases…
Rossiya Segodnya (Russian gov’t news agency) – Sputnik, Aug 20, 2015: Unspoken Death Toll of Fukushima: Nuclear Disaster Killing Japanese Slowly – The Japanese government is still in denial and refuses to recognize the disastrous consequences of the Fukushima nuclear catastrophe, London-based independent consultant on radioactivity Dr. Ian Fairlie states, adding that while thousands of victims have already died, thousands more will soon pass away. According to… Fairlie, the health toll from the Fukushima nuclear catastrophe is horrific… an estimated 5,000 will most likely face lethal cancer in the future, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. What makes matters even worse, the nuclear disaster and subsequent radiation exposure lies at the root of the longer term health effects, such as cancers, strokes… hereditary effects and many more.
Alfred Korblein, MD, former Sr. Scientist at Munich Environmental Institute & Univ. of Bremen professor, Nov 2014: … infant mortality in 7 prefectures near Fukushima is significantly increased in 2012… with a maximum in May… [My Feb 2014 study] compared infant mortality rates in… the prefectures Fukushima, Iwate, Miyagi, Gunma, Tochigi, Ibaraki and Chiba, with the rates in the rest of Japan… A significant 25% increase was found in the first 9 months of 2012… There is a highly significant 91% increase of infant mortality in March 2011… likely an immediate effect of the earthquake and tsunami.
Dr. Korblein, Feb 2014: After the Fukushima nuclear disaster in March 2011, infant mortality rates in the most radioactively-contaminated Prefectures around Fukushima increased… The increase is statistically significant. In December 2011, nine months after the accident, a highly significant 10% drop in live births occurred… First evaluations of the monthly data for infant mortality rates in Japan after Fukushima showed significant peaks in May and December 2011. In addition, an Analysis of the numbers of live births in Fukushima Prefecture found a highly significant 15% decrease in December 2011…
Published: August 28th, 2015 at 9:59 am ET
- Report: Mortality rising in contaminated regions of East Japan — “Very likely the number of cases of disease and death increased associated with radiation” July 9, 2012
- Strange TV interview with pro-nuclear professor on study finding increased infant mortality in US after Fukushima (VIDEO) January 25, 2012
- TV: Surge in babies being born with extra arms, legs after Fukushima — “I feel officials know the cause is radiation” — Nurse says many are getting abortions to avoid ‘inconvenient’ babies — “High number of stillbirths” — Many people reporting cancers, even far away from Fukushima (VIDEO) April 18, 2016
- New study reveals deaths and mutations ”increased sharply’ from exposure to Fukushima contamination, “especially at low doses” — ‘Small’ levels of cesium may be ‘significantly toxic’ — Smithsonian: “In other words, things don’t look good for the animals living around Fukushima” May 15, 2014
- Sailor talks Fukushima’s Impact on Pacific: “It’s dead… for thousands of miles there was nothing” between US & Japan — “Like sailing in a dead sea… everything’s all gone” — “Just talking about it makes me feel like I want to cry” — “No birds, no fish, no sharks, no dolphins, no turtles, nothing” (AUDIO) October 23, 2014