Published: September 3rd, 2013 at 8:48 am ET

Title: Interview with Dave Lochbaum
Source: Linda Moulton Howe
Date: Aug. 29, 2013

At 49:45 in

Dave Lochbaum, Nuclear engineer, former Nuclear Regulatory Commission instructor, current director of Union of Concerned Scientists’ Nuclear Safety Project: The Fukushima site is unprecedented in the magnitude — 3 reactor cores have melted down, 4 spent fuel pools that are in jeopardy, 3 buildings that exploded — so, they have a lot of problems. [...]

Linda Moulton Howe, Emmy-nominated journalist: And Fukushima, the reality, without any sugar-coating is, that in the next 18 to 19 years, there will be a death toll from radiation exposure in Japan that will be large.

Lochbaum: Yes, that is unfortunately the truth. Plant operated for 40 years and will remain a hazard to people living around it for decades longer. Politicians and society will have to determine whether the benefits derived from those 40 years offset the damages done over the next century.

More from this interview on Linda Moulton Howe’s website here

Full broadcast here (subscribers only)Interview currently available on YouTube here

Published: September 3rd, 2013 at 8:48 am ET

1. Radio: Japan Professor moved family out of country after finding radioactivity levels contradicting official claims it was safe — “Gov’t doesn’t want anyone to talk about radiation from Fukushima” (AUDIO) October 5, 2013
  2. Japan Professor: “I won’t eat any seafood, I’ve changed my entire diet” — Refuses to buy any fisheries product, from any market, anywhere in country after bringing detector to store and learning actual radiation levels (AUDIO) October 5, 2013
  3. Seismologist: Coastline beneath Fukushima nuclear plant could crack open during quake — Japan sits with possibility of having it ripped open (AUDIO) November 28, 2013
  4. Radio: Allegations of pet deaths after radiation exposure are supported by top university’s re-analysis of Three Mile Island data (AUDIO) March 31, 2012
  5. Radio: Fukushima may be eclipsing Chernobyl as worst nuclear disaster in history… It’s like a time bomb — They really need to seal off underground (AUDIO) August 19, 2013

17 comments to Nuclear Engineer on Radio: Unfortunately, the truth is there will be a large death toll from Fukushima — Damages to be seen “over the next century” — Disaster at plant is unprecedented in magnitude (AUDIO)

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

It would appear that you/we/some of us are being exterminated right now and over the next ten years!

Next!

• +1 A+

Excellent interview.
    This one should go viral.

Some highlights:

Both the company and the regulator have failed.

The government feels that the people cannot handle the truth.

The death toll will be large.

Cesium and Strontium will remain HAZARDOUS for 300 years or longer.

IMO – Another large earthquake should be considered imminent. Not doing so will 'most likely' be a horrible fatal mistake.

• UncleCrusty

Would one of you fellow ENENewsers please tell me that my "conclusion" is incorrect? That I over react, and that I am dripping with emotionalism, or I am not in possession of my faculties… My conclusion is simply this: We've just killed the planet, in painfully slow motion. That we are doing genetic damage to the last batch of reasonably pure DNA, and it's downhill from here on out for humans.

• No it ain't over yet, there will be long ranging repercussions, and the only upside is this is the catalyst to kill nuke completely.

• Dear UncleCrusty,

I would not say your conclusion is incorrect because I don't really know.

I can only go by my gut feeling.

The planet has definitely taken a harmful blow.
      Is it fatal? That's to be seen.

Can life that currently exists survive?

That I don't know either. I have no doubt that life, as it has existed, will certainly change. Unnecessary suffering of innocent life is highly probable. Many in the Nuclear Industry will soon say that it is "unfortunate and regrettable". (That one will get repeated almost as much as 'there is no concern' is now.)

As far as the 'emotions' aspect I can't say for sure on that either. People react in many different ways to 'bad' news.

I try to focus on thoughts like this one:

:) "Never, ever give up:"
      - Diana Nyad (long distance swimmer)

Especially in swimming, if you do give up, you'll drown.

I feel like I swim the contaminated rip tides off of Fukushima beach everyday, but I am determined to make shore. There is no other choice for me.

Take care and Mitigate Exposure,
      Sincerely,
      ChasAha

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

You would appear to be correct and there is (A) hope for Japan getting the olympics. Shush Shush

• weeman

The true death toll will never be known, there will be no direct connection to Fukushima and will be blamed on other environmental and natural causes, what is the official death toll from Chernobyl due directly to radiation exposure, do you think the Japanese will be any different.
    We need to correlate the data now, so in the future before they can manipulate the data, we can observe trends.
    If Syria is guilty of using poision gas on its people and is a crime against humanity, you tell me what is the difference if the Japanese have allowed their inhabitants to be exposed to high levels or radiation and supply the people with false data, that does not allow them to make a educated decision to leave or not, is radiation not like poision gas, only worse it is a lingering death

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

Its all one and the same and each killer just goes by a different politically acceptable name..

Thus that really makes all/each of us humans quite insane…

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

weeman,
    There are a great deal of people watching the fallout of the Nuclear Industry contamination around the globe and they are/have been keeping track since 1945 and the numbers killed have been huge and are growing exponentially.

If it was a baseball game they would be winning and the following area actual deaths not diagnosis.

• Sol Man

And, if sfp #4 burns, how long does life have have?

• We Not They Finally

Please, everyone, be cautious about Linda Moulton Howe. We saw her at a symposium last year, and someone asked about HAARP and she said in a brusque, authoritative-sounding voice, "Oh, that was discontinued three years ago" (NOT.) Then I saw her name come up in an excerpt from the Hatrick Penry files he retrieved through FOIA talking with government insiders. I mean not a public interview — an insiders' meeting.

She is also science advisor for the George Noory show on Coast to Coast AM. And he may be a good guy, but her, we don't trust.

It's possible that she is out there now to be one of the official "minimizers." Like we honestly don't have to wait 18 years to see a huge death toll in Japan and it's hardly just Japan any more!

• Events and Conditions at Fukushima ..

Recent Report by Yoichi Shimatsu…Radio Interview Aug 26th

Transcript http://wyynd.tripod.com/Shimatsu.txt

Secret Facilities, Thousands Dead…