Published: January 1st, 2013 at 6:20 pm ET

Title: The New Normal Is No Normal
Source: Radio Ecoshock Show
Date: Jan 2, 2013

Toshiba is very interested in, it has been in talks with the mayor of Galena [Alaska] to build a, what they call a 4S Toshiba, it’s a liquid sodium reactor that they propose to bury under the permafrost — 100 feet under the permafrost, on the Yukon River floodplain.

So the last of the pristine rivers in the world, there’s been negotiations and machinations to put a liquid sodium reactor under the permafrost on the floodplain there in the middle of Alaska.

Full broadcast here

Published: January 1st, 2013 at 6:20 pm ET

1. Flyover footage of oil rig grounded on rocks near Alaska coast (VIDEO) January 2, 2013
  2. Radio: Mysterious disease killing seals in Atlantic Ocean — Fukushima fallout testing underway by gov’t scientists (AUDIO) September 1, 2012
  3. Shell oil rig filled with fuel runs aground in Alaska — Worst development yet in crisis — “So it just happened, it’s dark, no one has seen it” January 1, 2013
  4. Gundersen: Beams holding up nuclear reactor likely to fail during accident at US plant — I was dumbfounded… how can they know about this and not do anything for decades? (AUDIO) December 23, 2012
  5. Nuclear Expert on Major US Radio Show: ‘When I do the numbers, it says Fukushima is as bad or worse than Chernobyl’ (AUDIO) March 31, 2012

26 comments to Radio: New nuclear reactor to be buried 100 feet under permafrost in middle of Alaska? (AUDIO)

• charlie3

If you are determined to definitively finish off end all life on Earth then it's probably a very good plan.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

I can't even find the words maybe later ahhhh

• Bananastan Bananastan

More nuclear insanity.

Buried reactors will turn Alaska into a nuclear minefield.

• norbu norbu

I was thinking, maybe the permafrost will all melt before they ever get that far.

• norbu norbu

Listen up Toshiba NO MORE NUKES!

• weeman

Tell me this is a bad joke, pure dead brilliant, we're do they come up with these ideas, we're is there common sense. Let's melt the permafrost and release methane.

• norbu norbu

They are determined to kill the earth.

• richard richard

yes, i do believe this is the case. i used to laugh at the idea of the 'lizard people', but i tell you what, there's not much of sensible explanations for the insane, earth terminating ideas and contructs that come from the crazy minds.

i sincerely cannot believe they are human.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Nuclear had it's chance, and failed, time and time again.

We must use "safe" technologies, exclusively, which is available now.

No reason to wait. Let's do it.

• VanneV anne

Nuclear technology is a failed technology, especially in Japan. Liquid sodium reactors are a failed technology. In addition, a buried reactor is much harder to reach in case of an accident. Also it will melt the ice and raise the ocean level and will contribute greatly to climate change. Also there must be no new subsidies to nuclear technology. And their must be no license to the Japanese to destroy the US. The amount of radiation from Fukushima and other failed and melted down reactors in Japan already has spread enough radiation in the US to kill us all. Especially, in light of the fiscal cliff, no new money should be in the budget for subsidizing the nuclear industry. Why spend money on a project which will kill us? And it is completely immoral to cut social programs in order to give money to killers.

• Ontological Ontological

Liquid sodium for cooling is insane. It explodes and burns fiercely when exposed to oxygen. If the one in Japan ever burns, Fukushima would be nothing compared to the release of massive radiation into the atmosphere. Again the nucklearcrats are proving that money is all they care about. They obviously have no concern for the future of Mankind. Their propaganda is full of crap like how safe it is, and how the new nukes are so much better constructed than the BWR’s of the past. The sheer heat of sodium burning can’t be contained. After the idiots at Monju dropped a crane onto the top of the sodium cooled reactor, they still took the chance of restarting it anyways. This is proof of just how greedy these nuketards are, in order to fit the bill for Plutonium production in this “fast breeder” monstrosity. There is no hope for the Human race with these morons in power. Another concern is Alaska is already badly contaminated with Fukushima fallout, also global warming due to the area of galactic core vent radiation the entire solar system is in, yes ALL of the planets are experiencing warming; is thawing the “permafrost” so the ground will be unstable around this ridiculous and foolish construction.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I was looking for a post describing how nasty liquid sodium units are when they burned and thank you for providing it. I saw another of your excellent contributions that included you stating you'd been "lurking" around quietly taking in what was going on in these threads and I want to say THANK YOU for popping in because your posts are appreciated & I get the sense from that other post that you have a good idea of exactly what we're going through regarding my about to turn 40 Friday wife of 21+ years,diagnosed with Stage IIIB IBC with 7 ancillary lymph node positive nodules discovered 2/20/12 & 1st round of chemotherapy infusions via portacath beginning 3/1/12 with radical mastectomy of left breast & 7 lymph nodes under left arm surgically removed with 39 radiation therapy treatment sessions now being followed with monthly Hercepin IV infusions,abdominal injections of menopause-inducing(Norvost,idk?)hormonal meds & a pill she HAS to take daily for the rest of the five year window of survival her rare,aggressive type of cancer already at Stage3B due to the 8cm+size of the tumor on her breast and 6cm+lymph node mass that was determined to have NOT been metastatic & biopsies of the removed tumors & breast supported a consensus among the Oncology team that the chemo cocktail had "killed" the cancer cells effectively thanks to her being HER-2 POS !! Previous issues including acute asthma/seizure disorder/syncope/sleep apnea,etc.makes recovery prospects all the…

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

cont'd-lengthy & perhaps difficult road still left to travel even though the worst parts of the treatment plan have been over since the last radiation treatment October 25th,2012(?) I remember you said you dealt with cancer treatment or perhaps your own for many years and either way I assume you know exactly what we're going through or close enough. I'm of the opinion that she got her cancer as a direct result of Fukushima with a slight chance it was from a "domestic" NPP since eleven of them including 3 Fukushima "clones" surround me a couple miles west of Midway Airport & a couple miles NE of CP-2 the site that hold less likelihood since I don't think they generated clouds of krypton & I-133…IDK..BUT I JUST REALIZED I WENT FAR ASTRAY & O.T. AND I APOLOGIZE FOR THAT!~I'M WOUND UP & distracted SORRY! I'm gonna sign out while I'm still not completely comatosed yet! Take Care ENEwser's & Happy New Year! Best wishes to you guys & gals! You are all appreciated GREATLY by me even if we don't always agree or strike a nerve with one another on occasion! Keep up the great work ENEwsers & ADMIN. PEACE! :)

• Ontological Ontological

JB so sorry to hear of even more suffering, it would seem cancer has become ramped in our society, due to Noble gasses like xenon 133, and Cesium 134/137, also they have effectively ruined most of the water aquifers with fracking chemicals and the gas that permeates eventually into the drinking water. They have all but destroyed sea food sources, and the soil is so toxic now that even organic farms/gardens are becoming a concern. My wife & I live in Las Vegas, where 10 years ago the water in the Mt Charleston aquifer was fresh and sweet, just a little hard. Now after 5 years of fracturing the deep shale, it stinks of hydrogen sulfide, so bad it turns the stomach after it has built up in the drain trap. Many are complaining of this stench up here in the Spring Mountains of S Nevada. Even reverse osmosis filtering does not get all of this out of the water, so a continual dose of toxics builds up over time. Pre cancer legions form, and soon become aggressive carcinomas. I hope I live through my affliction, due to it has been aggravated by dioxin carcinogens from a PVC oxygen tube the idiots gave me for long termed care for obstructive apnea. I have since discovery switched to a more benign hose.. It amazes me how either stupid or perhaps deliberate profiting from toxic afflictions these companies do today. In my 55 years I have seen the Earth for the most part destroyed. It brings about a deep sadness that Mankind is so greedy to not even consider the future of our children.

• gnomesang gnomesang

it should be mandatory that you have to have a shred of common sense to earn a PhD.

• AGreenRoad AGreenRoad

Dr. Caldicott MD; Radioactive Thorium Dangers, Half Life, Health Hazards; via A Green Road

Sodium Cooled Monju Nuclear Fast Breeder Power Plant Accident; via A Green Road http://agreenroad.blogspot.com/2012/12/sodium-cooled-monju-nuclear-fast.html

• AGreenRoad AGreenRoad

The plan is to bury tiny nuclear thorium powered reactors all over the world, to power all of these remote villages.

It will be a true nuclear rebirth!

Look, it is a miracle, power coming out of the dirt!

Never mind about the Geiger counters, we just bury those along with the reactor!

• Ontological Ontological

Thanks AGR you Sir have done your homework!

• And the Mayan's warned of a New Sun coming…
    Irony is, if the Pole shifts and get's relocated to Indonesia / Ascension Island, as seems possible, Alaska will be Equatorial…
    =o}

• dosdos dosdos

Also, liquid sodium is used primarily for breeder reactors, and that is insane.