High level of iodine-131 detected in Fukushima, NHK, April 5, 2011:
… Tokyo Electric Power Company says it detected 300,000 bequerels of iodine-131 per 1 cubic centimeter, or 7.5 million times higher than the legal limit in samples taken around the water intake of the No. 2 reactor at 11:50 AM on Saturday.
It also found 200,000 bequerels or 5 million times higher than the limit in samples taken at 9AM on Monday.
Monday’s sample also shows 1.1 million times higher than the national limit of cesium-137 whose half-life is 30 years. …
Read the report here.
Published: April 5th, 2011 at 2:24 am ET
- Radioactive iodine now at 4,385 times legal limit in water near Fukushima plant — “Radiation may be leaking continuously into sea”: Japan March 30, 2011
- Highest yet: 3,355 times legal limit of radioactive iodine-131 found in seawater — Reactor cores may have been continuously leaking into Pacific March 30, 2011
- Scientist: Tap water could probably run a lawn mower… it’s real gas — 500,000 times legal limit for benzene — “I’ve never seen such high levels” — Brockovich visits Illinois community (VIDEO) March 14, 2013
- Foreign reporters find radiation levels over 100 times legal limit off Fukushima — Captain: Radioactive releases “may last until end of the Earth” — “Deep sense of dread set in… Stop, don’t go any closer!” — “World deserves honest assessment of the disaster” — “A worst-case scenario come to life” (VIDEO) April 2, 2014
- Contamination 50 times safety limit, far higher than initial measurements — Also much higher levels of iodine than expected, indicating continued leakage May 26, 2011