Published: November 27th, 2014 at 8:39 am ET

Florida Power & Light Company, St. Lucie Nuclear Power Plant Units 1 & 2 (St. Lucie, FL) — 2011 Annual Radiological Environmental Operating Report, submitted to U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission:

BROADLEAF VEGETATION: Brazilian Pepper from location H59 — 10-20 miles S/SSE of reactors on south end of Hutchinson Island, [30 miles north of Palm Beach]

• Iodine-131 on 22-Mar: 1,220 pCi/kg (wet weight)
  • Iodine-131 on 29-Mar: 605 pCi/kg
  • Iodine-131 on 06-Apr: 242 pCi/kg
  • Iodine-131 on 13-Apr: 136 pCi/kg
  • Iodine-131 on 20-Apr: 79 pCi/kg
  • Iodine-131 on 26-Apr: 45 pCi/kg
  • Iodine-131 on 03-May: 21 pCi/kg
  • Iodine-131 is “attributed to the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plants event. Elevated levels of radioiodine were measured through-out the U.S.”

NRC Reporting Level for Vegetation = 100 pCi/kg (wet weight)

NRC Reporting Level: “The concentration value in an environmental sample, if exceeded, which must be reported to the NRC.”

The highest I-131 level reported in vegetation from the West Coast is 462 pCi/kg in Central California.  The March 22 South Florida sample is nearly triple that amount.

See also: Emergency radiation testing used at Democrat and Republican conventions after Fukushima; Also for Obama Inauguration -- Seafood, meat, vegetables, milk, water checked for nuclear waste, while top officials agree to publicly downplay crisis -- 80% of milk samples by Orlando, FL had 'significant' Cs-137

Published: November 27th, 2014 at 8:39 am ET

1. Newly released data shows Florida hit with highest level of radioactive material from Fukushima measured anywhere in world outside Japan — #1 out of more than 1,500 test results — Total radioactive iodine was up to 500% of amount reported September 26, 2014
  2. Fukushima nuclear material reported in West Coast groundwater; It’s discharging into Pacific Ocean — Fallout also found in meat and fish from same area — “Routinely detected’ in plant life long after March 2011 September 4, 2014
  3. Official Report: Fukushima affecting radiation levels in U.S. — Recent elevated measurements “a direct result” of 2011 nuclear disaster — “Florida is experiencing Cesium-137 deposition” — “Not unusual” to detect Fukushima fallout in citrus fruit November 16, 2015
  4. Twice as much Fukushima radiation near California coast than originally reported; Highest levels found anywhere in Eastern Pacific — Scientist: Very little we can do… It’s unprecedented… God forbid anything else happens — Gundersen: Multiple plumes now along west coast… Will be coming “for century or more” (AUDIO) November 20, 2014
  5. Officials by West Coast Speak Out on Fukushima: Concerns about cancer, illness from contaminated food — ‘Low-level’ radiation being reported in fish — “We cannot sit by and watch and wait” — National gov’t appears to not be taking it seriously January 20, 2014

162 comments to Fukushima fallout on vegetation in South Florida exceeded gov’t notification limit by over 1,000% — Nearly triple the highest level reported anywhere on West Coast

• bluetick

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

So they decide to tell the truth during the holidays,,LIES LIES AND MORE LIES par for the course with the OBUMER ADMIN! I personally went from about 5 people I knew who had/have cancer to over 25..I told friends and family that this would start happening…cancer is everywhere…took me over a year to recover…I am still very athletic and after fuki I got tired and lost my drive.. about yr later after nascent iodine, massive fiber diet and many natural supplements I am back to normal….

• Joe Ebslap Joe Ebslap

Couldn't be that this nuke clunker burped a load under cover of Fuku? Wouldn't put it past them.

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

I guess that is a possibility. Lots of activity going on there this week. Parking lots full, trucks digging up road and traffic down to one lane… something about too much rain..7 inches caused something wrong there.

• We Not They Finally

A lot of findings like this show up SO much later than they were originally published. Have been wondering whether it's because it takes a long while to even be available, or that it takes special access.

Leuren Moret says that the hardest hit cities in the U.S. for the initial plume — one was in Florida, but Melbourne. Pittsburgh PA was also blasted. Apparently it's sometimes just the way the wind currents are blowing at the time. She gave these as examples of not necessarily being safe at all just because one doesn't live on the West Coast.

• Bones Bones

You can use time, through dragging out the period from x,y,z occurring and the actual data and information becoming public, to lesson the emotional impact. Look at the contamination of the Ohio River, and in California or somewhere on the West Coast the billions of gallons of chemical waste dumped in a major aquifer as well. They exploit time using what they learn through sociology and psychology. That is why advertising is evil. lol

• WindorSolarPlease

Shows you that…Fallout Does Travel!!

• We Not They Finally

shape shifters and repiles is the nature of the called elite.Humans I doubt would not do this to this planet but reptiles don't care about anything but glorifying Satan….

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Very interesting times in Florida…then..

Japan’s quake influenced groundwater in Florida
    March 21 2011

The ground shook..but ..nothing..

Geologist Shaking Wasnt Florida Earthquake News Story WFTV Orlando
    March 21 2011

Weird Noise Phenomena In Forida
    March 25 2014

I find the video ..pretty interesting..

WHAT THE HELL? Florida March, 2011-EERIE SOUND From Sky! 20min

March 20 2014

Very interesting ..really..

• Natural Iodine deficiency is widespread in many nations, this fact could allow ionized iodine an easy path to produce thyroid cancers.

Thieves of nature patents and trans-human developer thieves of nature DNA, produce chameleon crops that look good, but offer little benefit for immune system protection. These thief corporations that steal from nature have even developed corn that makes men sterile. What robbing thieves these lawless devils are. Dirty crooks, thieves, robbers, cheats, liars, sociopathic psychopathic demon devils ….

Please feel free to add to the list if I left anything out.

Oh yes the thief crops offer no benefit commercially against natural crop yields In fact they yield less…..

• ISeePinkClouds

Yes. ∞ All Weather is Man-made…now, too. "Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore." ~ Dot Peace

• HoTaters HoTaters

For some stupid reason, the U.S. government allowed grain producers to stop using iodine as a grain preservative in the 1930's. Instead, harmful bromine compounds were added. Maybe this was done because bromine has strong pesticidal properties.

Maybe that's why so many people here are now wheat intolerant?

Since that time, most people in the U.S. have become iodine deficient. Iodine was added to salt to make up for the iodine deficiency, but most of us here are still iodine deficient.

Am personally exceptionally wheat intolerant, except for when I eat Indian naan bread made with non-bromated flour. Go figure.

• HoTaters HoTaters

A small amount of iodine added to the diet is very helpful for preventing thyroid and breast cancers.

• 4Yahshua

HoTaters, it will be MORE helpful to take at least a 12 mg. capsule of iodine (Swanson Vitamins) to preserve the thyroid. You night try taking a good pro-biotic. Many digestive problems can be prevented by bringing good (vital) bacteria back into the body. Anti-biotics and other toxic substances kill them off.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Please see Dr. Brownstein's revised guidelines re: taking supplemental iodine. Taking too much can be very harmful to thyroid function, which regulates a lot of activities in the body.

IMO iodine supplementation should always be done under a doctor's supervision. Speaking as someone with a thyroid disorder, whose doctor has advised adjusting iodine intake downward in accordance with Dr. Brownstein's revised guidelines.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Yeah, I know all about the antibiotics and gut health. Was a Lyme patient & dealt with multiple tick-borne co-infections. Took antibiotics for almost eight years. At least I'm alive, but the antibiotics just hammered my body and gut function.

Gut health is CRITICAL to maintaining healthy immune function.

Interesting to note people with acute radiation exposure often suffer severe gastrointestinal effects, gastrointestinal damage. I have to wonder if that's in part what causes the immune collapse victims suffer when exposed to high levels of radiation.

• So true, treat iodine like a drug, know exactly what you are doing and see a professional to monitor use.

Of course, iodine containing kelp or sea vegetables are safe and do not need medical supervision, even if consumed on a regular daily basis.

• lickerface lickerface

The last statement you said there is surely sarcasm just for folks who don't remember… I bought a bunch of red sea lettuce (dulse powder) a few times between 2011 and 2013, and all of it tested up to 260 CPM with my PRM-9000… it came from the Northern Atlantic Coast of Canada. Each subsequent batch had a higher reading.

We bought this stuff exactly for the natural iodine and took it for weeks before buying a Geiger. We now understand that any product from the ocean is going to be contaminated and must be avoided (at least tested).

I have some health issues realized since ingesting the dulse. I feel like a horrible father feeding it to my infant and years old son at the time. I now have a submandibular salivary gland problem where I have to drain often each day. Lethargy and drive is gone since that incident.

This dulse measured over 100 CPM through 32 sheets of copy paper. It reads over 200 CPM through its mylar foil product packaging. How can it be considered safe? If you are not being sarcastic, please help us explain why my material reads so high. It seems to us that it has already absorbed contamination before being processed into a food product. I still have this material stored away from my family of anyone would like a sample to be sent to them. Or you could just order it from znaturalfoods online which is where we obtained ours. The owner there doesn't see high readings as a problem. He thinks it is naturally occurring radiation.

• :|

>> ALARA – "As Low As Reasonably Achievable"

For results attributed to Fukushima Nuclear Power Plants event:

"Elevated levels of air particulate and radioiodine were measured during the period March 22 through April 23 attributed to the Fukushima Nuclear power plants event. Elevated levels were measured through-out the United States."
    - FPLC Annual Report

"The measurements verify that the dose or dose commitment to members of the public, due to operation of St. Lucie Units 1 and 2, during the surveillance year, are well within "as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA)" criteria established by 10 CFR 50, Appendix I"
    - FPLC Annual Report

Here's proof our Nuke plant didn't do it.

However… On the other hand, it IS PROOF, that Fukushima dosed us without any warning. It further proves we are not prepared for ANY fast moving, quick spreading radiological event.

· Question: Who determines what is REASONABLY achievable?
    · Answer: The Nuclear Industry and its cohorts.

The problem is…
    NONE of this future robbing 'scam' is REASONABLE!

• ii

I happened to be in Florida staying at a high-rise building overlooking the ocean when Fukushima blew and have first-hand accounts:

(1) Could smell Iodine in the air
    (2) The iodine odor was later replaced with a sulfur odor
    (3) It was hard to breathe! (Theorize that was due to all of the XENON Florida received.)
    (4) A haze hung over the sky for days; the air had a powder-like aspect to it
    (5) People everywhere were coughing and coughing; local media blamed in on "allergies"
    (6) Then for days the horizon over the ocean was so bright that you couldn't look at it; like aluminum foil was reflecting the sun
    (7) Personally had pains in leg muscles and chest pains (never had before or since)

• Thanks for posting that ii! I have a friend in Florida (the big bend area on Florida's western coast) who went through a sudden surge of bone and muscular weaknesses after Fukushima blew. She and I often try to remember the sequences and timing of our very similar health changes so we can compare notes.

We also have noticed quite similar decreases of all animal life in our respective areas. One small example would be our familiar *porch pet* orb spiders gone for two years in her case (she observed one stunted one this year), they're still missing from mine. Barely any mosquitoes and NO wasps or new nests for both of us. I recently read in an insect bite remedy book that wasps are alkaline. Maybe the complete loss of them has something to do with the increased acidic nature of their air and food supplies? Much to observe and ponder these days.

I see the *Chernobyl forest look* is still happening around my area. Genetic changes…certain trees full of still clinging dead leaves that did not get the autumn signal to drop. I foresee more heavily snow laden branches breaking again this winter. :(

I could go on and on regarding critical changes and advice everyone who is new to the idea of damaging radiation effects, to please think back….what has changed from *normal*? How many spiders or mice get in your house these days? Are there less feral cats in your neighborhood? How about amounts of roadkill or windshield bug splats? Anecdotal observations are needed.

• ii

YW, Teri. More florida:

(1) No love bugs 2011 2012 2013
        (2) Burnt palm tree fronds
        (3) Pine trees shrinking in height
        (4) Increase in flesh-eating bacteria in oceans and rivers
        (5) Annual bushes blooming 4X a year
        (6) No winter to speak of in 2011 2012 2013 and hotter than ever
        (7) Strong cases of pneumonia

• califnative califnative

ii – a lot of what you describe is also related to chemtrails/geoengineering, especially the extremely bright sun and coughing people get. I watched heavy aerosol spraying in California that decimated the insects, reduced the bird population and increased human health problems. You may already know about this but here are a few good links on the subject.

• I sure do agree about multiple assaults and pollutions. It's all about the timing and what's new for me is I never saw the immediate losses and mutations before. Fukushima is the nastiest, biggest, most irreversible poison ever to get dumped on the camel's back, adding to the other accumulations.

It's ironic that people were making some headway via public pressure against many of the pre-Fukushima poisons. I know I used to sign maybe 6-8 petitions a day and send other e-mails…now I'm concentrating on spreading made made radiation awareness. (Barium, aluminum, etc found in chemtrail emissions is still very important too to not lose sight of.) :)

• Jebus Jebus

Happy Thanksgiving Teri.

The result always equals the sum of the parts.

Day 1357…

• Thanks Jebus and everyone. Here's a piece I had written years ago.

A Gathering of Family ~ A Giving of Thanks
            What a beautiful time of year. We have Solstice… Yule… and 2015 is almost here!

It feels good to be with people who know most of our history and love us anyway. We've all been through a lot. We've survived plenty of dramas and setbacks, haven't we. But here we are, in this moment, joking around and waiting to share food together.

We make up a tiny spirit plate, a simple offering to thank nature for her gifts this year and each person adds a tidbit of something from the table. The laughter quiets and our faces soften as a few prayers are added. I guess we're all thinking of friends and family members who have crossed over to the other side, wishing we could touch them with more than our hearts. Even the kids feel the unspoken emotion. Someone lifts their glass to make a toast, "To our friends who are here and our friends who are far…and to the Great Mystery here with us this day. Thank you and Salud!"

We've connected. We feel blessed.

• ii

No, the firsthand accounts occurred during the timeframe of the Fukushima meltdowns.

However, you may also like this article:

• Tim42

I live ~80 miles south of that monitoring location. About a week after 3/11, I stepped outside and smelled the presence of heavy metals. I.E. Smelled like walking into a machine shop.

I knew what it was.. Radioactive CsI and other nasties from Fukushima, so I took immediate steps. Closed up the house and stayed indoors for the next week, until a weather front came through and the rain cleaned the air.

I knew the cleaned air was only temporary. Once everything had dried out we would have radioactive dust. It would get in the food supply, water supply, everything.

First trip was to local drug store to by some iodine tincture started adding dozen drops to each gallon of drinking water that came out of my filtered dispenser. I also bought some surgical masks(only 80% effective, but hey its better than nothing) and started wearing them whenever outside or biking.

Over the course of my shortened bike rides over the next two months, I observed only one person out of many thousands wearing a mask. Wow, talk about clueless sheep. I gave masks out to my friends and warned them about the fallout, but they all behaved like all the other sheep.

Next trip was to home depot, purchased new carbon based air (For AC) and water(frig,kitchen sink) filters.

Within a couple of months I purchased a chest freezer, plugged it in and filled it up with several hundred pounds of frozen vegis/rice/etc harvested from the previous years crop.

• HoTaters HoTaters

ii, your item 6.) is fascinating, given the ground shaking phenomenon, and the flashes in the sky caught on video by at least one of the people who video recorded events in Florida in March 2011.

Some kind of odd radioactive "sky shine"? What could it have been?

Personally speaking, this is of interest, because everything on earth is interconnected.

• Dick Shenary

Florida Power & Light 2011 Annual Radiological Operating Report is a NRC requirement. This report contains a little information about Fukushima contamination within the US as the power company was anxious to point out that some of the contamination came from Fukushima and not from the St. Lucie nuclear plant. Not only does this report show very high iodine-131 readings but radium-226 levels were elevated as well. One thing that jumped out at me from this report is the non-requirement to list either uranium or plutonium contamination from most of the sampling methods. It would be interesting to review other Radiological Operating Reports from nukes around the country for the year 2011.

• jec jec

YUP..and old data..and "fixed' data..report is for 2013…so old info, and then AVERAGED over an entire YEAR. As anyone knows..its the PLUME..and time in the PLUME. As a NETC reporting station, located 9 miles from Surry 1 and 2, plus downwind of the Richmond North Anna Plant (you know, the one with earthquake damage and missing couple fuel cells..like 7 0r 8 that got crunched up in the water pump!!). My NETC station would spike..sometimes extreme and alert level spikes..at night.and many times during the UNANNOUNCED re-fueling process. Guess our version of TEPCO, VEPCO, is not concerned with the PLUMEs..just the average over the year. Heck with a calculator..I could make the moon out of green cheese…its what is included, what tests run, timing!, and averaging..
        NRC reporting these levels..in 2014..over a holiday..criminal..
        I too have friends who suddenly got leukemina..as adults. They lived on the water around Miami. And Florida has a very mobile population, hard to track illnesses related to exposure if they are not identifed in the area..Just Saying….

• dunkilo

jec,i live in Hampton,i wonder why the Netc reporting station for Newport news has been turned off for months?As well as the Oceania station has been off for much longer?
          Surry 1and 2 are those nasty pressure reactors….don't know bout North Anna plant,i do know they should be TURNED OFF NOW!!

• pinksailmatt pinksailmatt

Many of Netc's monitoring sites are from EPA's RadNet site, which placed the monitors AT reactor locations.

They are/should be the MOST sensitive monitors that are on Netc's site…and are usually the ones with Alert Status.

However…RadNet has been screwing with the sites since 311, halting the readings that go off-scale…chopping the graphs scale to make it look like counts of 1000 are only 100.

RadNet used to have both beta and gamma graphs…but the beta graphs would go off-scale so much, they have axed them in most locations.

RadNet's actual website is hard to follow. This one is easy, but only covers some of the west coast.

You may want to bookmark it.

• unincredulous unincredulous

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you, nuclear industry for threatening food supplies globally.

I was watching a Dana Durnford video on You Tube a few minutes ago. Dana mentioned that a million gallons a minute must be pumped into each reactor core to maintain a "safe" temperature in the reactor.

Can someone tell me how much power, in watts, would be required to pump a million gallons of water per minute to the average height of a reactor cooling unit? That's a lot of water. Are nuclear powered military ships just driving around the ocean sucking up a million gallons of water every minute? At that rate, how long would it take to run the worlds oceans through a BWR? The oceans are big, but not infinite?

How many lies per minute (LPM) does a nuclear power plant require? The atmosphere is big, but not infinite.

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nuclear thanks us all for allowing them to trash the planet!

• A few results of the first wave, and its influence on things listed below. Including me. The suffering, the bullshit from people that do NOT care. The pain of watching others take credit for hard work done while suffering in horrible depression. Yep I sure do know what your all in for sooner or later I do… Denial is of course the first comfort zone violation responce.

Gnarly:

• Bill Duff

This is counter-intuitive, but plausible.

Cascades and other areas on the Left Coast & Northern Tier States had torrential rains & the Full Brunt of the Vast Radionuclide Storm. Some anomalies and odd confluences will occur. Some measurement errors are likely. Still we would expect 2,000 Miles to reduce the radioactive fallout contamination level, and internal dosage, from Seattle to Miami.

• pinksailmatt pinksailmatt

Bill Duff…Chernobyl's plume left quite the patchwork of high and low radiation readings in Europe. It appears radiation plumes like to stick together rather than dissipate, and can travel really far as a condensed stream and/or cloud. There is very little info on this subject on the internet. But the stuff IS sticky…alot like the Ozone my commercial ozone generator produces.

Chernobyl plumes crossed the Arctic within the lower troposphere and the Pacific Ocean within the mid-troposphere.

I've seen lots of Japan weather get sucked up into the Arctic, although all the models I have seen of the first hit, showed it coming right across the Pacific…more of less.

If the elevation of that plume was high enough, maybe the west coast didn't get hit as hard…but I suspect it came in at the 3000 foot level…or under, from my poking around on the coast and in the coast and cascade ranges these past few years.

The mutation rate here in Oregon in the fruit and veggies is quite startling. The Doug Firs were quite twisted…many having lost their ability to track straight up for some time.

But in saying that, I have also seen some real BAD mutations in the mid-west and east coast and elsewhere…Mexico…Canada.

We ALL got hit hard, no doubt about that.

It didn't help that the Spent Fuel Pools kept burning on and off for what…the last few years, from what the RadNet data (& TEPCO Cam) I have been tracking, seems to show.

Sure sucks having to be FORCED…

• name999 name999

duff, who are you anyway? Declare yourself.

• razzz razzz

Russian Roulette, hit or miss. Totally random fallout results but is extremely potent when it makes contact esp. Daiichi with its dirty bomb makeup traveling at low level altitudes compared to fallout from nuke bomb testings which reach high altitudes relatively quickly resulting from a more efficient but no less dangerous burning of fission fuel.

Remember the US nuke plants that SCRAMed themselves after sensing Daiichi fallout in Florida and one in the Carolinas. If computer models couldn't predict how a radioactive plume from Daiichi would travel and fall back to earth then we are defenseless when comes to the nuclear industry.

• pinksailmatt pinksailmatt

razzz…not to paint the NRC in a good light…but TEPCO really with held critical data from them during the first few days, as I found in some to the FOIA documents that I read.

They were saying they had 5 different worse case scenerios that just might be what actually happened.

This included the burning of all the spent fuel pools. They did have in-direct proof of this. No steaming of pool #4. Liquid "Shine" that came out of #3. Just the time factor before power came back on. The inadequate spraying of water and dumping of water from the choppers. The fact that #4 had a FULL OFF-LOAD of fuel in the pool. So many things pointed to a bad bad deal going down. But TEPCO kept lying…we STILL don't REALLY know, but we will at some point.

• AirSepTech AirSepTech

Nice info, about 1300 days to late to matter.
    What about today?

Central valley Cali routinely clocks high.
    Phoenix, Tuscon, downwind WIPP, Hanford, any food/livestock?

Maybe some fresh info in 2018.

• Socrates

Where are the trolls saying it is all a anti-nuclear delusion? When their little tin God admits these levels existed in Florida while the government gave baseless reassurances, that really tells who they are. The trolls get paid to post lies. That's who they are.

The government can say that they did not want to spread panic, except that Potassium Iodide would have saved lives. People could have sheltered in place. But why would trolls deny this now? What kind of human beings are they? Holocaust deniers are not as despicable.

A subpoena will be issued for their names in litigation. That is coming to prove punitive damages against industry. There were tobacco and asbestos trolls, too. Some were exposed.

• Jebus Jebus

Here's a talking point as we are all gathered around the thanksgiving dinner table, getting ready to carve into that roasted, or fried, turkey breast…

Eric Berry's season over; will visit Lymphoma specialist

Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry's season is over after doctors found a mass on the right side of his chest.

Berry, 25, has made the Pro Bowl three times in his previous four seasons.

Probably one of the fittest humans on the planet…

• ii

Dr. Alan Lockwood, MD >> “Consuming food containing radionuclides is particularly dangerous. If an individual ingests or inhales a radioactive particle, it continues to irradiate the body as long as it remains radioactive and stays in the body.”

Dr. Andrew Kanter, MD >> “Children are much more susceptible to the effects of radiation and stand a much greater chance of developing cancer than adults.” “So it is particularly dangerous when they consume radioactive food or water.”

• Gasser Gasser

A Becquerel free Thanksgiving to all of my logical thinking friends…Aloha!

~~~~

The Carpenters> We have only just begun

Go here first to get the beat of truths heat>

~~~~

We've only just begun to educate,

With truth and no Nuke promises,

Kick ass post's~~~and we're on our way.

We've just begun.

Before the rising Isotopes we cry,

So many truth links to choose from
    We start at enenews~~~and learn to run.

And yes,~~~We've all just begun.

Sharing scientific horizons that are new to us,

Watching for Nuke shill's signs along the way,

Talking it over all of us.

Working together~~~day to day,

Together.

And when evening comes~~~we go the extra mile,

So much of life may be dead,

We'll find solutions and give it room to grow.

And yes,~~~enenews has just begun.

(Con't)

• Gasser Gasser

(Con't)

We've only just begun,

No white laced bullshit promises,
      Kicking Nuclear's ass~~~in our own way.

We've more than just begun.

As WIPP rising Becquerel's start to fly,

So many lie's not to choose from.

We get pissed off learning~~~it's no fun.

And yes,

Nuclear's downfall has just begun.

Sharing horizons that are new to us,

Watching the signs along the way,

Posting truths over and over~~~all of us.

Working together~~~day to day,

Together.

And when evening comes~~~we search radiation file's,

So much of life to be save ahead
      We'll find safe energy for room to grow.

And yes~~~ENENEWS’ers

We've just begun.

~Gasser Classic~

• Jebus Jebus

Bang… Bang… Bang…

Reports of nuclear fuel rod pieces being ejected from Fukushima reactors and/or spent fuel pools

• Jebus Jebus

Radionuclides from the Fukushima accident in the air over Lithuania: measurement and modelling approaches.

The activity concentrations of (131)I and (137)Cs were found to be by 4 orders of magnitude lower as compared to the Chernobyl accident. The activity ratio of (134)Cs/(137)Cs was around 1 with small variations only. The activity ratio of (238)Pu/(239,240)Pu in the aerosol sample was 1.2, indicating a presence of the spent fuel of different origin than that of the Chernobyl accident.

GE, I wonder if it, exponentiates in concentration, towards the point source?

• marq

I live in Florida and I remember the day, distinctly b/c I am a wetlands biologist and was in the field and felt the radiation descend. I first noticed the metallic taste in my mouth, and the stuff, though not visible was percitably all around. I live about 60 mi from the site, and noticed the same thing when I got home.

Aside from that brazillian pepper is a pretty nasty invasive plant in southh florida, so its interesting the radioactive iodine was found there. Florida is also a biodiversity hotspot, so the effect of this radiation exposure may be very damaging.

• ii

"Nuclear Deniability via the Media"

by Michael Steinberg

"When I sat down for breakfast with the local newspaper on November 17 of last year, the news was not very appetizing. The lead story, reprinted from the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, told of a campaign by mothers from Port St. Lucie in St. Lucie County, Florida, to expose an alarmingly high rate of rare childhood brain cancers there. The mothers' group, "Suffer the Children," has raised an uproar in their community, forcing the Florida Department of Health to investigate."

Read the rest here. Very good — about cancers around St Lucie nuclear power plants:

• ii

November 21, 2014:

"The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is stepping up oversight of one of two units at Florida Power & Light Co.’s St. Lucie Nuclear Power Plant after about 50,000 gallons of water entered a reactor auxiliary building during heavy rains in January, according to the NRC."

• ii

Florida temperatures "well above normal" in April 2011.

Why, whatever could have caused that??

• Bo had posted in off topic about the latest eruption in Japan but I can't find it so again. http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2014/11/27/asosan-the-largest-volcano-in-japan-enters-new-eruptive-phase-kyushu/

Asosan, the largest active volcano in Japan and one of the world's largest volcanoes, started its new eruptive phase this week prompting Japanese authorities to cancel or divert flights on Thursday, November 27, 2014.

A column of ash and smoke reached about 2 133 meters at 06:00 UTC today and was extending north, according to latest Tokyo VAAC warning. An exclusion zone of 1 km radius around the volcano is in place.

Activity from the Asosan's Nakadake crater has intensified on Tuesday, November 25 when observed ash emissions and comparably strong incandescence suggested a new magmatic eruption could be under way.

The height of the emitted ash plumes was up to 8 000 ft (2.4 km) on Wednesday and light ash fall was reported from Namino village 11 km NE of the Nakadake cone, VolcanoDiscovery reported and added that the volcano had been showing signs of unrest since 2013, with intermittent small, probably phreatic explosions and weak to moderate glow sometimes visible from the crater.

During 2013, the crater lake gradually disappeared, probably as a result of increasing temperatures leading to its evaporation. The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) placed it on Alert Level 2 (Do not approach the crater) on August 30 this year.

Last month, experts warned a…

• … a disaster on Kyushu island, which has been struck by seven massive eruptions over the past 120 000 years, could see an area that is home to seven million people buried by molten rock in just two hours.

JMA mentioned in its latest monthly bulletin that the edifice of Nakadake showed slight inflation, which could support the hypothesis of intruding magma.

The 24-km-wide Asosan caldera was formed during four major explosive eruptions from 300,000 to 90,000 years ago. These produced voluminous pyroclastic flows that covered much of Kyushu. The last of these, the Aso-4 eruption, produced more than 600 cu km of airfall tephra and pyroclastic-flow deposits. A group of 17 central cones was constructed in the middle of the caldera, one of which, Nakadake, is one of Japan's most active volcanoes. It was the location of Japan's first documented historical eruption in 553 AD. The Nakadake complex has remained active throughout the Holocene.

• ii

great website with florida cancer statistics:

“Florida has the highest crude incidence rate of cancer in the nation”

• Fukushima Radioactive Fallout Measurements In US Beef, US Fallout Radiation Plume Prediction Tool

• jec jec

So what is the penalty for NOT reporting this as an alert? NOTHING? Someone needs to take whoever made the decision NOT to report on this level..to court..and to jail. And we have USA Mr. Prez for what? Isnt it HIS administation doing the coverup? Like the IRS or other events the US public is "too dumb" to understand.

• Please Get the Rad Word Out, People!

Fukushima Business Cards 4 U! And everyone else, too!

These nifty cards are easy to print and pass out.
    Leave randomly, where ever you please. Distribute liberally.
    Side 2 stands alone with links!

31,037 downloads since June 2014.
    1358 days since Fukushima.

Other sharable resources

Thanks, Everyone!

• Dear friends,

The current temperature in Palm Bay and Melbourne, Florida is about 55 degrees with the wind blowing from the north. The skies are clear. I know this because I live here.

The radiation here is minimal on a daily basis. I walked out the front door of my condo a few minutes ago (in my pajamas) with my Inspector Alert on. CPM readings displayed were between 10 and 26. Avg CPM about 22.

The two-day radiation exposure that occurred in this area happened in March 2011, 44 months ago.

Everyday I drive through, eat breakfast, walk, fish and go to the zoo in west, south and north Melbourne, Florida. Everything is okay here on the central east coast of Florida. Trust me on this one. Thankgiving came and went yesterday without a hitch.

I go to our local community zoo at least two times a week. All the animals are doing fine and are healthy as horses (and they send you their regards).

Please stop worrying about us. We are fine. Cheers, bed pan.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Good to hear..

Rare plant virus reappears, attacks South Florida lawns
    11/21/2014

A plant disease linked to sugarcane that had largely vanished 40 years ago has suddenly reappeared, becoming the first virus in the state to attack South Florida’s manicured lawns.

Scientists don’t know why the disease suddenly morphed and began spreading in Palm Beach and Pinellas counties. And so far they have no tools to stop it, other than cleaning lawn equipment or replacing sod with more resilient varieties, said Phil Harmon, a plant pathologist with the University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.

“At this point we don’t know what the outcome will be, so we’re being proactive and trying to get the word out,” Harmon said.

• pinksailmatt pinksailmatt

I saw a very weird "yellow dust" looking thing this year attacking some of my lawns grass. Never saw anything like it before. This is in Oregon.

The Japan Times
    OPINION

Shameful waste of tax money

Hundreds of billions of yen in taxpayer money was again wasted by the government and publicly funded organizations in fiscal 2013, according to the annual report by the Board of Audit. Given the nation’s snowballing public debt, it is all the more important for bureaucrats and other officials to ensure their projects are implemented properly….

Particularly noticeable was improper use of funds for projects related to the reconstruction of areas damaged by the March 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and anti-disaster measures. The following are some examples…

• ∞ BAD DECEMBER 2014 ∞

Can I make a significant suggestion & thank you for giving us these links that you post.

When you put the hyperlink as your first statement, when people log on and look down the recent comments list, all they see are broken hyperlinks from you. If you put a small header comment before the hyperlink you could reach more readers.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Think I'll just get on my Starship Groove and beat the feet off this planet!

Think I would if I could.

• rogerthat

LACEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – The nation's oldest operating nuclear plant plans to test its emergency sirens next week.

Tuesday's test by the Oyster Creek plant is part of a twice-yearly safety drill.

A similar test was staged in June, shortly after the plant's parent company had replaced all 42 emergency warning sirens in the 10-mile radius around the Lacey Township plant. The new units feature battery backup.

The test will take place around 10 a.m. The purpose of the sirens is to notify residents to tune to a radio or television station in case of an emergency.

Oyster Creek is located about 60 miles east of Philadelphia. It generates enough electricity to power 600,000 homes, or roughly all the homes in Monmouth and Ocean counties combined.

Oyster Creek is due to shut down by the end of 2019 instead of 2029 as called for in its current license. The plant agreed to the early shutdown in return for not being required to build costly cooling towers that would minimize the impact on fish and other marine life in the creek.

Oyster Creek went online Dec. 1, 1969, the same day as the Nine Mile Point Nuclear Generating Station near Oswego, N.Y. But Oyster Creek's original license was granted first, making it the oldest of the nation's 104 commercial nuclear reactors that are still operating.

November 30, 2014

Takahama N-plant case a touchstone for extending operation beyond 40 yrs

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Can a nuclear power plant, if its safety is confirmed, be utilized effectively for a long time?

This question will be put to the test in the case of Kansai Electric Power Co., which has announced plans to apply for an extension on the operational periods of the Nos. 1 and 2 reactors at its Takahama nuclear power station. The reactors first went online about 40 years ago.

The operational period of a nuclear reactor is set at 40 years, in principle. But if a reactor passes safety checks by the Nuclear Regulation Authority, an extension of up to 20 years can be permitted…

… The NRA’s new safety standards call for using power cables with a certain level of incombustibility at nuclear plants to prevent the outbreak and spread of fires.

Kansai Electric is contemplating improving fire resistance by using flame-retardant paint while avoiding the replacement of cables, which would require huge amounts of money and time. It is unclear, however, whether the nuclear watchdog will approve such a method.

NRA Chairman Shunichi Tanaka said the screening of the two reactors “will be quite strict because they are not new.”

Under the new NRA guidelines, the principle of decommissioning reactors after 40 years of operation will be applied if the safety screenings are not completed by July 2016, making…

• rogerthat

it impossible to resume the two reactors’ operations.

It is natural for the nuclear watchdog to conduct the screenings minutely and carefully, giving top priority to safety. However, it is also urged to implement them without delay.

It is advisable to avoid a situation in which time is needlessly wasted over procedural matters, resulting in the screenings being left unfinished because time has run out.

(From The Yomiuri Shimbun, Nov. 29, 2014)Speech

• rogerthat

Letters like this have started to crop up. Not even a wild conspiracy theorist would think this is the start of a co-ordinated campaign… write letters to the papers, you guys, do yoiur bit for the mother-ship:

LETTER: Nuclear power is cleanest energy source
    November 29, 2014

Almost lost in the tug of war between coal and natural gas is another consequential source of electricity production: nuclear power.

Starting more than a decade ago, it was the increased use of nuclear-generated electricity that produced the single most effective carbon emission control strategy for utilities. And that’s why, in 2012, nuclear power accounted for 64 percent of U.S. emission-free generation.

So, it’s absurd that EPA’s clean power plant rule assigns scarcely any value to nuclear power’s key role in reducing carbon emissions. The rule as it is currently written is rigged against nuclear power. It counts only 6 percent of a nuclear plant’s generation toward a state’s carbon intensity goal, instead of the plant’s full production of zero-carbon energy.

Nuclear power supplies the lowest-cost power in the long run, and electricity from existing nuclear plants is much cheaper than other emission-free energy sources like solar and wind power. And nuclear power would seem even cheaper …

• rogerthat

… And nuclear power would seem even cheaper if not for government tax credits that go to solar and wind power. Nuclear facilities should be allowed to operate on an equal footing with other energy sources.

James McGovern

Ocean Township

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

James McGovern should stop taking so many drugs, since it appears he has lost his mind. :(

Analysis

Here's what Narendra Modi needs to do to solve India's energy crisis

Saturday, 29 November 2014
    Agency: DNA Webdesk

By Jaideep Prabhu

… If Modi is to replicate his magic in Gujarat across India, there is no way but to rely heavily on nuclear power.

The single most daunting hurdle to the growth of nuclear power in India is the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act (CLNDA), ironically effusively supported by the Bharatiya Janata Party when sat in the Opposition at the time. … Painting fearful pictures of the 30-year-old Union Carbide tragedy in Bhopal, Sushma Swaraj and Yashwant Sinha led the charge in the adoption of a strangulating CLNDA.

It will be politically difficult to walk back those steps taken in 2009 and the law has left few loopholes. Yet this is exactly what is required to encourage nuclear vendors to set up reactors in India. If India insists on retaining its liability rules, vendors will keep away, or, in a best case scenario, India will end up paying through the nose for its policy via higher reactor prices that have been adjusted to consider the higher insurance premia.

It is impossible to overestimate the importance of dumping the CLNDA on India's nuclear future…

• rogerthat

TAURO: Radiation monitoring shows startling spikes

Janet Tauro November 27, 2014

When was the last time federal officials or the owners of the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Lacey held a town meeting or publicized real-time radiation levels that are emitted on a daily basis into surrounding communities?

Ever?

Not that we can tell. And for that reason, a group of citizens joined a national radiation-monitoring network last March.

The group is recording airborne radiation levels at various locations from a half to 40 miles from the plant. Using radiation devices that attach to a computer, the data is fed into a national database and put onto spreadsheets.

Citizens are approaching the 1 million mark in minutes of radiation readings in areas around Oyster Creek during the continuing project, funded through private donations and a grant from the Patagonia Foundation.

The data has been startling. Citizens recorded spikes in radiological releases on two separate occasions: during an unplanned hot shutdown in July and after the plant went back online during an annual refueling in October…

The radiation that is released by any nuclear plant … is a mix of radioactive isotopes that only exist as a byproduct of the nuclear fission process…

• rogerthat

Exposure to these radioactive isotopes can affect the body’s DNA, and increase the risk for cancer, genetic defects and miscarriage.

The general public is largely unaware of the radiological emissions because they are undetectable by the senses: odorless, colorless and tasteless.

Low-level emissions from Oyster Creek are continuous as long as the plant is in operation.

Although emissions have not exceeded the federal limit during the project, a landmark National Academy of Sciences study from the late 1990s, commonly referred to as the Bier VII report, stated that no amount of continuous exposure to low-level radiation is safe…

During a nine-day period in July the plant went into an unexpected hot shutdown and group participants simultaneously noted sustained periods of spikes in their readings.

Radiation spikes just a half-mile from the plant suddenly jumped 43 percent over the usual pattern. During refueling, the rate of spikes went up 30 percent. (A spike is defined by the national project as a period of 10 minutes or more when the average radiation counts are at least 22 percent above average.)

In an eight-month period, there has never been such a large jump in readings as the July event. Interestingly, another citizens’ monitoring group around the Indian Point reactor in Tarrytown, N.Y., recorded similar spikes when that plant went into an unplanned hot shutdown last summer…

• rogerthat

… the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission should establish independent monitoring of radiological releases from nuclear power plants, and they should be released in real time and easily accessible by the public.

Currently, industry monitors its own releases and sends the data to NRC for review. No wonder citizens in various states have taken it upon themselves to collect their own data.

Over the plant’s 45 years of operation, there have been occasions when significant amounts of radiation have been released into the environment with the barest of acknowledgment or explanation from plant operators or federal regulators.

The public deserves easily accessible real-time data, candid discussion and engaged elected officials.

But, rather than just waiting for that day to happen, citizens can empower themselves and easily collect data, and that could one day lead to greater accountability among the individuals who so greatly impact our lives, and our children’s.

Janet Tauro is New Jersey board chair of Clean Water Action and founding member of GRAMMES (Grandmothers, Mothers, and More for Energy Safety).

• rogerthat

The Asia-Pacific Journal, Vol. 12, Issue 47, No. 2, December 1, 2014.

Japan’s Radical Energy Technocrats: Structural Reform Through Smart Communities, the Feed-in Tariff and Japanese-Style “Stadtwerke”

Andrew DeWit

Japan’s December 14 general election is essentially a rigged referendum on Abenomics.

Despite the dismal economic news, team Abe can hardly lose against the splintered and poorly led opposition parties at the national level.

The hapless Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) seems likely to gain some seats; but Abe has defined defeat as the loss of his parliamentary majority, which is simply not going to happen.1

Electioneering per se is set to begin on December 2.

It will almost certainly not feature substantive debate on the stark choices confronting Japan, meaning how to achieve resilient, decarbonizing, resource-lite growth in the world’s most rapidly ageing society.

There will be no serious discussion of the fact that Japan faces among the direst threats from climate change, the developed economies’ most gargantuan public debt, extreme dependence on increasingly precarious fossil fuels, an unprecedented economic experiment (Abenomics) now clearly in deep trouble, dangerously poisoned relations with important neighbours, and a multiplicity of other challenges that collectively defy precedent…

• rogerthat

All developed and developing countries face dense clusters of “wicked problems,” particularly on the water-energy-food nexus in an epoch of climate crisis, but surely Japan’s are among the most daunting if one strips out the failed states.

Mainstream economic and business analysts are, of course, furiously pumping their bellows of gaseous advice. They insist that Japan can fix all the above by aiming the faltering Abenomics programme at opening markets via the Trans-Pacific Partnership and structural reform that gives large firms and megabanks more freedom to allocate capital in ever more unsustainable ways.
    By and large, the structural reformists want Japan to be more like post-Reagan America.

Key elements of this vision have little appeal for most Japanese and have been thoroughly discredited by such astute students of comparative political economy as Sven Steinmo.2

However, while the rhetoric of Abenomics has dominated international discussion, Japan is already undertaking a radical and massive public-sector-centred structural reform of a very different variety.

This reform is steeped in astute application of approaches most fully realized in Germany, and Japan is already at work renovating industry, building resilience, and bolstering local democracy…

• rogerthat

The most recent summary statement of this project is found in Smart Communities: A Smart Network Design for Local Government Infrastructure, an important new Japanese book, organized by Japan’s top mainstream energy intellectual Kashiwagi Takao, and published October 15, 2014.3

The book describes – especially its initial chapter, written by Kashiwagi – how Japan’s energy technocrats are using the feed-in tariff, stadtwerke (municipal business), power-sector deregulation and other key elements of Germany’s green energy transition as engines for something much more ambitious…

Andrew DeWit is Professor in Rikkyo University’s School of Policy Studies and a coordinator of The Asia-Pacific Journal. His recent publications include…

- Read it. Most enlightening.