Published: May 5th, 2012 at 12:57 pm ET

The Worst Yet to Come? Why Nuclear Experts Are Calling Fukushima a Ticking Time-Bomb
Alternet
Brad Jacobson
May 4, 2012

[...]

For the moment, though, and for the foreseeable future — unless the international community substantively comes to Japan’s aid — Tepco couldn’t transfer the irradiated fuel from the damaged reactor units into dry cask storage even if it wanted to because the equipment to do so, such as the crane support infrastructure, was destroyed during the initial disaster.

“That’s kind of shocking,” said Paul Gunter of Beyond Nuclear. “But that’s why we’re still sitting on this gamble that there won’t be another earthquake that could topple a very precarious unit 4.”

Gunter is concerned that even a minor earthquake or a subsidence in the earth under unit 4 could cause its collapse.

“I think we’re all on pins and needles every day with regard to unit 4,” he said. “I mean there’s any number of things that could happen. Nobody really knows.”

Gunter added, “Right now its seismic rating should be zero.”

[...]

Read the in-depth report here

Published: May 5th, 2012 at 12:57 pm ET

1. Tepco releases document “in response to the concern that Unit 4 spent fuel pool may collapse” — “1st Inspection” begins tomorrow May 17, 2012
  2. UPI: Fukushima spent fuel pool a source of growing concern — Calls for more efforts to empty and secure Unit 4 continue in Japan and beyond May 23, 2012
  3. Gundersen: Move south of equator if Unit 4 fuel pool goes dry, that’s probably the lesson there — Like cesium from all 800 nuclear bombs ever dropped on Earth, except all at once (VIDEO) May 4, 2012
  4. AP: Integrity of Reactor No. 4 building a major concern among experts — Collapse of spent fuel pool could be even worse than 3 reactor meltdowns February 3, 2012
  5. NRC March Email: “The walls of the Unit 4 spent fuel pool have collapsed, and there is no water in there” January 11, 2012

45 comments to Report: Concern that a subsidence in the earth under unit 4 could cause its collapse

• I have nightmares about Reactor #4. I think I need a break from the news and the USGS earthquake site, at least for a few days. Every day it only gets worse. It's not if it collapses, it's when. There are any number of factors, and then when that explodes, the domino effect takes place.

• norbu norbu

yes we do gardening to not think about it, but I really can not stop thinking about it. Have they looked underground with radar to see if the ground is going to cave in soon?

• Whoopie Whoopie

I hear you kelly. BBL :(

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Obama needs to get on the horn and order a crane to unload SPF4. Pronto.

• SnorkY2K

Not addressing the problem because the crane is broke is like sewing your rectum shut because you ran out of toilet paper

• Jebus Jebus

I just burned my folder of all things fukushima to cd and labeled it Fukushima One… just sayin'

• el

gotta love the constant threats of extinction instead of real solutions.

Its getting a little worn out.

Its also obvious that there are NO solutions planned whatsoever. Yeah ,you and me, we take precautions. WE BUY SOLUTIONS. Supplements, seeds, dog food. But Fuku? No, thats gonna spew with no end in sight….Were just gonna have to trust the experts on this one….

…..after all, they created the problem, so they prolly got the solution. Maybe if we email and petition more…..

• NoNukes NoNukes

"…and the prize goes to…jec, for calling the problem of subsidence at least 5 months before these nuclear experts!"

The crowd goes wild.

• Jebus Jebus

I was able to get a friend to look at this website yesterday
    I was suprised that my explanations of why, were accepted immediatly.
    Everyone there had heard of Fukushima in the past tense.
    Hopefully now, each of them, will explain this to someone else.
    So now,
    I'm sitting here and I have work to do. Why do I check in here so often?
    I'm not hearing much from the MSM on Fukushima, according to them, everythings fine…
    Alternate websites are mostly the ones reporting doom and gloom on this event.
    Those sites always have conspiracy theories and other such stuff on them.
    And I'm here looking at an alternative website?

That has overwhelmingly shown indisputable evidence,
    that a Global Catastrophy happened, and/or, is in the making.

Why am I here so much, a year now!.
    If this is all a non event as the MSM say's, I got punked!

If this is all so, and true that, if Mother Nature, and we humans,
    and every living thing, now have a big problem on our hands,
    then for all of us, you, me, and everyone who has seen this overwhelming evidence,
    all together only a small part of humanity, seeing an invisible global catastrophe,
    wouldn't I be a traitor, if I turned my head away?

• Sharp2197 Sharp2197

my weiner dog loves you, he licks your avatar.

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

"Tepco’s current plans are to hold the majority of this spent fuel onsite for years in the same elevated, uncontained storage pools, only transferring some of the fuel into more secure, hardened dry casks when the common pool reaches capacity."

Pretty much proves TEPCO's management is delusional. Any Government that goes along with it is too of course….

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

This headline speaks to a real concern. The entire site, R1-R4 in any case, is built on landfill–which offers the least consolidation of any soils or substrate. There isn't any sort of base more stupid to select as a site to construct nuclear power plants. The concrete bases of the plants here, R1-R4, were not solidly established on the bedrock many dozen meters below grade, but were built on the landfill itself–stupid. There has been continuous criticality of corium material under the site of these four reactors since melt-throughs in spring of 2011. There is the possibility of subsistence or it has already occurred, but has not yet resulted in the event mentioned above (steaming cracks opening up), where R4 spent fuel pool collapses, scattering all the rods, allowing them to burst into flames and make their own hyper-radioactive corium hundreds of thousands of times more radioactive than non-spent fuel corium. I can't imagine why a power elite would allow an event like that to occur because not any billionaire is immune to the effects though having known some, I would say they believe they are invincible and have well planned for such a catastrophe that would otherwise wipe out all other life. In fact, there is nowhere to run, hide and live well or at all in most fantasy futurist concepts of escape of nuclear catastrophe though underground facilities. How boring and stupid to plan such an escape, how racist and supremacist such eugenics, de facto, intended or not.

• StillJill StillJill

Yes Pallas,….stupid indeed! Can you see them,…munching on their MRE's,….O.K., caviar at first,….then the MRE's. Yup,…that's gonna make them real happy,…(not).

My first job was at the Cleveland zoo. Had to feed rats to the golden eagle. The rats lived in a dark cellar (hole),…kind of like where the Butcher of Baghdad was found in, a spider hole.

I think the powers that be are getting what they DESERVE,…not what they think they're getting!