Report: Vegetable mutation harvested north of Tokyo in June

Published: January 5th, 2012 at 12:54 pm ET

UPDATE: See comments below

The worst vegetable mutation, Fukushima Diary, Jan. 4, 2012:

Vegetable mutation: sample taken in June, Saitama

Tweet from @masason, CEO of Softbank [A top Japan telecommunications company, 1.5 million twitter followers]

これは酷い blog-imgs-45.fc2.com/f/u/k/fukushim… (2011/7/13) 6月埼玉にて収穫””

Translation

This is horrible. (7/13/2011) Harvested in June, Saitama.

See also: Radiation Biologist: Tree leaves were gigantic after Chernobyl -- "Witch's Broom" effect (VIDEO)

Transcript Summary

• What happened to the plants?
  • The pine trees, evergreen trees… the fact of witch’s broom, from one bud you can see a lot of shooting like a broom
  • The leaves were gigantic
  • The seeds and the leaves were very big

See also:

Published: January 5th, 2012 at 12:54 pm ET

1. Radiation Biologist: Tree leaves were gigantic after Chernobyl — “Witch’s Broom” effect (VIDEO) January 2, 2012
  2. Reports: Deformations in 3 dead rats from Tokyo — Mutation of pink grasshopper’s pigment in Chiba… MORE (PHOTOS) October 3, 2011
  3. Oysters growing at double normal speed in North Japan — “Rafts would have sunk from weight of oysters” January 22, 2012
  4. Report: Radiation levels double within 20 days of decontamination by Japan forces January 13, 2012
  5. Mainichi reports on “unusual abundance” of persimmons in Watari — One day after Mochizuki’s photo of suspected persimmon mutation October 10, 2011

54 comments to Report: Vegetable mutation harvested north of Tokyo in June

• Kevin Kevin

Gee I used to like tomatoes….

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

I gave them up this morning about 9am when I first saw it..

• MAP 5.1 2012/01/05 16:47:05 38.772 142.249 20.1 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

• mungo mungo

which brings into question the honesty of fukushimadiary….

• Kevin Kevin

I am not sure that is the case, as I suggested in another post, the orginal tweet was clearly an intent to “prove” mutation. There was even a “normal” tomatoe provided for comparison, presumably from the same crop or seed.

Not everyone knows about this rare tomatoe. Likely Fukushima Diary simply took the original tweet at face value.

If anything it may prove his filtering skills are less than stellar but certainly not a “proof” of dishonesty.

• Anyone could be lured into thinking mutate,
          I did not know such tomatos were about !

• Stephengn

Please keep in mind that Mochizuki is not a journalist and that because she knows Japan and is fluent in the language she has given us A LOT of valuable information that we otherwise would never have received.

Also, go to google image search and see if you can find a Reisetomate tomato that even comes close to looking as freakish as this one

• or-well

He, Stephengn, Mochizuki is a he, a samurai blogger with flashing swords
            of honest intent and fearless words !
            I’m ok with it if he causes a little “collateral damage” to the Japanese establishment through the occasional unverifiable story !

• “Wasn’t able to find a link to the original tweet by @masason. If anyone locates that please leave in the comments.” Admin note
        Yes, We may have been duped !

• vivvi

As weird as that heirloom vege is, this tomato has some features that lead me to diagree with you. The rare seed one is all lumpy and lobed, but this one has stems growing out of lumps, growing out of other lumps. Perhaps it is a mutation of the mutant heirloom one. Can’t say without more samples. Either way I am not inclined to taste it, or eat anything grown near it. The bottom of it resembles that witches broom effect that became evident after chernobyl. I see another tomato in the background with a green stalk growing out of the side of it. This doesnt look like the heirloom seed variety you speak of, leading me to lean more towards the view that this is a genuine mutation of a normal tomato variety rather than a special rare seed variety.

• many moons

I agree with you. The two only resemble each other in that they don’t look like your average tomato. They do not resemble each other. The mutation has one large growth and the other is a lot of little tomatoes growing together, it is even refered to as cherry tomatoes growing together. The mutated one has a large central tomato and freakish little ones popping out.

• Human0815

@ Mungo,

imo we can see just a normal Hybrid Tomato
      grown from the second or third Seed Generation,
      they do something like this!

When People use Genetic Modified Plants
      they need to buy new Seeds every Season,
      in the case they use the Seeds from the
      Plants something happen
      what we can see on that Pic!

“I once had a Farm in Af…….”, no
      but i had a 40 Hectar Demeter Farm
      (You can see her (Demeter) in my Avatar)
      so i know this Problem very well!

We used this Monsters to show the other People
      what is happening
      when you use that type of Seeds!

Regards

• Whoopie Whoopie

OT
    Leaving for a few hours. Please give these TROLLS HELL while I’m gone! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harvey-wasserman/2012-is-the-year-to-final_b_1180444.html

• Cindy

@ MUNGO

My hubby just showed me the picture of the Heirloom Tomato from Baker Seed catalog !!, LOL

At first I was like OMG, and showed him THAT picture, he went and got the catalog …

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Sorry, I disagree.. the Reisetomate Tomato seed produces all of this type of tomato.. as you can see from the picture here.. that is not so… and the large tomato on top is unlike the Reisetomate.. This is deformed and from same area, if I am not mistaken, that all the deformed persimmons came from.

• Kevin Kevin

Seems like a distinct possibility, hard to say either way. Troubling that the original tweeter would put it side by side to a “normal” tomatoe in order to leave the impression it was not intended but rather mutated.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

It occurs that they put it next to another tomato grown in the garden, one that did not mutate.. but..hard to say, but if my flowers in the states mutated, and James T’s garden veggies in Durango mutated.. it is not unbelievable. too bad we do not have the specimen to test to see what kind it is for sure.. and I think it was placed next to a “normal” tomato for comparison.. as I did with my flower pictures..

• HoTaters

The bottom of some of the little sprouting tomato-tids are pointy. They don’t look like the heirloom tomato. But maybe a mutated version as someone else said? As for the potato that looks like a hand, Whole Foods was selling those last fall. Probably not a mutation, although the gigantic size might be an anomaly.

• HoTaters

Am saving heirloom seed and have some I could probably send to people here. From sound, healthy plants. Tomato, squash, seed from lettuce, kale, etc.

If we can find a way to work out contact info. through Admin, can work out a way to send people some pre-Fuku seed. Would be glad to do this — gut check told me a couple of years ago it would be important to do this ….

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

HoTaters, I’d love to seedswap tomatoes!

• HoTaters

Hi B&B,

I’m wondering how we can be in contact with one another off-site? Can Admin facilitate this? Do you have any ideas? Aren’t the profiles kept private? I haven’t figured out how to view people’s profiles, and it appears the e-mail info. is private. Correct?

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hello HoTaters, I don’t know – I think Whoopie knows a service where we could get an e-mail adress in a minute! But do you think it’s legal to send seeds to the US? If they’re NOT GMO, I mean? ;-)

Let’s check with Whoops and then we’ll get it sorted before planting season I guess….cool! Tomatoes!

• Cindy

That is a great idea HoTaters, but unfortunately what will they grow the seeds in ? Won’t the soil still be contaminated ?

• HoTaters

Yes, but you can get at least one season of un-mutated veggies. Anne suggested growing veggies in a greenhouse, cold frame, or under plastic. The problem at this point is remediating the soil or finding clean fill. I think I read somewhere the top 8 cm. of soil are the most contaminated with Cesium, so soil might be fairly clean below that level. As for potting soil, who knows what is in it.

If one can control the soil contamination and keep the air cleaner, one could possibly keep a relatively healthy seed stock going. So much of this is conjecture, at this point!

Am in the middle of trying to learn as much as possible about soil remediation right now. Last year, planted Chinese mustard all over the back yard. It is supposed to trap radionuclides in its roots. It flourishes in some parts of the garden, which leads me to believe there is more radiation in some areas. Am unable to test this hypothesis right now as am waiting for Geiger counter to arrive.

May have to travel to nearby university with depository library to get some of this information. Our local library has very little info. on radiation, Chernobyl, etc.

• HoTaters

Soil remediation — sodium borate, zeolite. See the comments section of this website for ideas on decontamination, soil remediation, radiation protection. Lots of great input there!

• HoTaters

Posting info. on Sodium Tetraborate (Borax) at Protection area. Note: increased risk of liver cancer if ingested on ongoing basis for 5-10 years. Am doing research to find out if there is a more stable, safe form. Sodium borate in some other form? Zeolite is probably best solution at this point.

Anyway, here’s a link:

Again, will research and post in Protection/Remediation area.

• PIC

…Well there are places where you can see – it’s called radiomorphism, which is radioactivity affecting the orientation that the plant has and the way that it grows. So in very, very radioactive areas, you will have these kind of stunted pine trees that look more like bushes. …

• dosdos dosdos

So much for pizza and burgers…..

• There are people living in highly contaminated areas around Chernobyl. Very few got evacuated there, and many hundreds of thousands were left to live in highly contaminated cities and towns.

Everything still looks normal in these Russian areas.. The most obvious difference is that kids no longer play outside. They are too ‘tired’. They have no energy to walk, run, skip rope or do all of the things that kids do, because their bodies are too busy fighting off effects of low dose radiation, both internal and external.

Plus, there are high % of sick kids from birth. >80% of the total are deformed or ill. Less than 20% have normal health, and adults die sooner of more diseases, like heart disease, strokes, etc.. things that the Russians BELIEVE have nothing to do with radiation. The longevity rate is dropping in these areas.

As far as insects, animals and plants; there are just less of them, more diseases, more deaths, at younger ages. Bees die in these kind of high radiation areas, so people have to pollinate manually. The boars, the mushrooms and fruits all have concentrated radiation doses, but people there are taught to BELIEVE that drinking alcohol wards off ill effects of radiation, so they drink more alcohol, constantly.

I predict the same things will happen around FUKU, and are probably already happening, but these things take many years to show up in ever increasing amounts..

It is kind of like boiling frogs alive, by slowly raising the temperature of the water. The frogs never notice because it happens so slowly, but eventually they all get it…

• aigeezer aigeezer

The photo is from June, we’re told.

It appears to be from a mature plant, so… germination time one week, indoor seedling growth 6+ weeks, outdoor blooming and fruit growth 4+ weeks.

Typical tomato growing data example: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2005015135020413.html

Working backwards from mid-June (no date in June is specified) suggests the seeds were planted (probably indoors) about mid-March, possibly weeks earlier, maybe later in March.

This suggests to me that it is conceivable but somewhat unlikely to be a radiation-caused mutation from Fukushima. My observations do not prove anything (nor does the original story).

Add the fact that the tomato is reportedly grown 280km from the Daiichi plant, and the radiation link seems even more unlikely to me (although still conceivable).

Some people find the photo and story convincing. I am skeptical.

WAIT, BREAKING NEWS: http://www.universetoday.com/92359/beam-me-up-obama-conspiracy-theory-claims-president-teleported-to-mars/

• James Tekton James Tekton

Good morning everyone!

Well…hummmm…reckon we were still planting and just coming into the realization of plants and fruits in our own backyard then last June KNOWING that the radioactive fallout hitting THIS COUNTRY was bad and ongoing and would produce anomalies in OUR garden.

Somehow…this makes one deja-vu dizzy to think about what THIS YEAR is forming up to be? Are there any reports yet of deformations, mutants, or retardo veggies and flowers in OUR country NOW yet?

Please post to the deformations thread your reports and PICTURES if you have them or create them as the spring season breaks upon us.

A strange thing not given a lot of attention to is the FACT that we have pretty much had green grass growing here at 6,500 feet in Colorado all winter, which is unheard of as far as we know. We keep blatantly putting that in our outside radiation checks background photography on the radiation reporting thread, but no one has noticed this or commented on it yet.

Are we alert to what the implications of a HUGE CORONAL BLAST pointed towards the earth would mean? Are we aware of how much RADIATION comes from the sun compared to anything man made? How about a few of them to completely fry the entire surface of the planet? Can’t happen here?

Did you know electromagnetic activity excites the activity of radiation making it more dangerous and increases it at the ground levels because of the excess and overly abundant electromagnetic energy all around us ALL?

Hummmmm……

Channel change back to last years news from fukushima about the radiation effects on local plants and fruits that we pray for the people to not suffer to harshly from due to the well perpetuated nation wide complicity in ignorance of the real “horrible” truth.

• or-well

On the image, who sees the date?

I can’t make it out.

(lower right)

• ZombiePlanet ZombiePlanet

I don’t know what is in that photo but I sure wouldn’t eat it.
    Best star it in the next monster movie. Let’s call it “The Blob!”

• Replacant Replacant

Like a Murakami art piece, though I think his is to be ironic. A real life imitating art imitating life. http://arttattler.com/archivemurakami.html

• phoenix777jp1 phoenix777jp1

Please see my related videos.
    Has uploaded a short video of tomato in the past.
    ver1. http://youtu.be/tddmCy6qHuw
    ver2. http://youtu.be/mSsKCtGShSk
    (Farmers to comment to the negation of this video.)

I think, Distortion and, malformation is another question.
    I think. From "Plants isTomato",for Message was given to humans.
    From "Plants isTomato",for Message Warning to humans.
    Early cycle plant It taught me that "Plants isTomato".
    Warning to the humans…
    "This will be when the time comes"
    "You can see is, please respond quickly."
    These Tomatoes should not have been issued to the shop if conventional.
    I think, they are unwilling harvest.
    I think, they are unwilling to store shelves.

Possibly,Malformation of the current harvest would have been so many.
    If so, These cases is tip of the iceberg.
    Should learn the lessons of Chernobyl!
    Japan is stupid!
    Now Japan future is Chernobyl.

I have this tomato looks the same as the Chernobyl-Legacy.
    Related videos. "Chernobyl-Legacy"

(If there are some mistakes in English, I'd like to apologize.)