Fukushima Minpo’s Jan. 3, 2013 report on their recent interview with Masako Mori, the ‘minister in charge of dealing with declining number of children’ (elected to the Upper House from District in Fukushima Prefecture), translated by EXSKF:
[Mori said] the government will aim to pass the legislation to promote the sale of Fukushima produce and goods, in order to clearly show [to the public] how the national government stands on the issue of baseless rumor damages. It is considered that Mr. Mori’s agency [Consumer Affairs Agency] and related agencies and ministries will decide on the details [of the legislation]. In summary, the legislation would “designate Fukushima Prefecture as the “special zone”, and enable the national government to order retailers to sell locally-produced goods and to extend preferential treatment to retailers who sell such goods in the storefronts”, Ms. Mori explained.
The Constitution guarantees “freedom of commerce”. It remains to be seen whether the legislation can legally force retailers.
EXSKF adds, “It’s not very clear [...] whether this legislation is intended for retailers only in Fukushima, or any retailers anywhere. (The more I read it, it feels the legislation will be for the retailers everywhere in Japan, but not 100% sure.)”
Published: January 3rd, 2013 at 9:50 pm ET
- TV: 200% as many radioactive products returned to Japan this year than in 2011 says Russian report (VIDEO) November 7, 2012
- Gov’t: Vegetables from inside Fukushima ‘no-go zone’ now ok to ship to stores — Farms preparing crops April 24, 2013
- TV: Fukushima fish making it to stores, loads brought into port daily — Experts: Very, very high cesium levels in sediments; Most fish in area are radiated — Lab: We’ve never found radiation, it’s safe — Tepco: It’s pretty much under control, fences keep pollution out of ocean (VIDEO) December 25, 2013
- 10 types of Fukushima seafood to go on sale in stores — Crab, squid, more September 10, 2012
- Japan TV: Fukushima seafood to be sold in stores starting next week… after one round of tests on three kinds of samples June 23, 2012