Published: November 9th, 2011 at 12:19 pm ET

Nov. 9 — “A journalist of Shukan Asahi, Mr. Imanishi was invited to go into the site by an actual Fukushima worker,” reports Mochizuki.

The journalist reported that “the spent fuel pool of reactor 4 is completely ‘exposed’,” Mochizuki writes.

For the video below Mochizuki summarizes Imanishi’s comments:

• The wall and ceiling of Reactor No. 4′s building was completely blown off by “some explosion”
  • “The spent fuel pool is totally left outside, out of control so what you can even see it from out of the reactor”
  • “The wall of the reactors are about 1m thick of huge concrete mass. It is blown off.”
  • “It shows how much the explosion(s) were more massive that they were announced by the government.”

At :20 in

**For English captions, click ‘cc’, then click ‘Transcribe Audio’, when that’s done click ‘cc’ again, then ‘Translate Captions’

Published: November 9th, 2011 at 12:19 pm ET

1. U. of Tokyo analysis: Mystery explosion at Reactor No. 4 caused by radiation dissolving water in boiling spent fuel pool — Contradicts TEPCO’s assumption September 15, 2011
  2. Siemens Report: Reactor No. 4 spent fuel pool cracked from earthquake (FAIREWINDS VIDEO) May 23, 2011
  3. Gundersen: I’m sure there’s a lot of damaged nuclear fuel in Fukushima spent fuel pools — The tubes are cracked — May be completely severed (VIDEO) December 10, 2012
  4. Spent fuel pool No. 4 water level drops to 1/3 capacity — High levels of radiation released after ‘equipment’ in pool was exposed June 20, 2011
  5. Gundersen on TV: Biggest problem I see is Oyster Creek plant near Jersey Shore — No way to cool spent fuel pool while power is out — All nuclear fuel is in pool, none in reactor (VIDEO) October 29, 2012

32 comments to Report: Journalist gets inside Fukushima plant, says Reactor No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool is completely exposed (VIDEO)

• oscar419

I would usually say “insert deflating sound here” but this is really no great surprise. Tepco is like the Helen Keller or the nuclear industry as they really do not see s**t. Every day I sit reading and wondering what could possibly happen next? Again, no great surprise.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Shit! This pisses me off so bad. Day in day out the whole thing just gets worse and worse. And where is our MSM on this? Fuck. I want off this planet.

• lam335 lam335

In fairness, Helen Keller was actually quite an accomplished woman who compensated extraordinarily effectively for her lack of vision/hearing.

TEPCO is simply incompetent and corrupt. They don’t care how much of the planet they sicken/kill so long as they can keep up their lies to the very end.

• oscar419

OK, I used her as an example as it was the easiet one to come up with. If I had mentioned the guy from the “one” video do you think people would have caught it? You are absolutely correct in regards to her as well.

I also agree with you about TEPCO, they will lie until they are in their grave. To bad the depth of their dishonesty may put people there prematurely.

Everyday I look at these sites in the morning while listening to my step daughters get ready for school, Occasionally I get a text message from my biological daughter at Wheaton college: It makes me really sad to wonder what we have left for them or our future generations. I know my biological has already said sorry to me as there is no chance in hell she has any desire to bring a child into this world and promises me that feeling will never change.

• Auntie Nuke

Helen Keller was a brilliant, gifted woman who gave much to the world from her unique observational perspective. Please, use some more apt analogy for the numnuts at TEPCO – Bozos, incompetents, something else. No need to malign one of the world’s great spirits.

• Tanuki San

And why is there no video of this??? There’s video of explosions at numbers 1 and 3, so there should a video of the explosion at number 4 as well. It makes me wonder how many explosions actually were there! Was there an explosion at number 2 as well? This is getting ridiculous not even knowing or having video in the news about a major explosion.

• There WAS an explosion at Unit 2. It blew-out the Torus aka the suppression pool. This resulted in loss of containment and showed that the whole idea behind the “pressure suppression” form of “containment” was and is fundamentally flawed. While the explosion itself was not dramatically seen on TV like others were, it DID provide clear and irrefutable evidence that the basic assumptions that make up the foundation of our nuclear technologies are wrong. It showed that what the industry calls “safe” is just a giant game of Russian Roulette where the gun is against all our temples and they pull the trigger until it goes off… sooner or later.

• maaa

Cant believe you left out the most important part. He heard at least 10 ambulances rushing to the plant everyday…

• sworldpeas sworldpeas

ARGH! I’m lost in translation! Google me this @ 1:03 he says “28 This small difference in the sixteen Ming not only connecticut” really? connecticut? Connecticut Japan? lol yea hardly…

Look the reactor is blown all to shit connecticut
    The radiation levels are extremely high connecticut
    eeew it looks real bad connecticut

run for your life connecticut!!!

• Estimating1 Estimating1

When did unit 4 explode? We are starting all over again, if those spent fuel rods start to melt or collapse onto the ground along with the rest of the building, you better run for the border!

• voltscommissar

Areva-rewind::dniwer-averA to April 6 at Fairewinds: http://fairewinds.com/content/closing-ranks-nrc-nuclear-industry-and-tepco-are-limiting-flow-information

“Areva also spends a lot of time talking about Unit 4. That’s the one that has no fuel in the reactor, but exploded anyway. They basically said that this was a core melt in fresh air. The reason the core melted on Unit 4, Areva believes, is that the fuel pool cracked from the earthquake. So the water didn’t boil out of Unit 4 like we’ve been led to believe. There was a crack in the fuel pool from the earthquake and now, with no water, a zircalloy-hydrogen reaction was inevitable.

The last thing that the Areva report notices is that, this was, probably the largest release is coming from Unit 4 because there’s no containment. And, they basically say that all of the fission products can be volatilized.

Finally, industry insiders who are aware of the Areva presentation have told me that the person who presented the presentation said this, it’s almost an exact quote: “Clearly, we are witnessing one of the greatest disasters in modern time.” Well, in the private meetings Areva is saying that this is a serious issue, but in public the nuclear renaissance continues to move forward both within the nuclear industry and within the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.”

Not only could it have been the earthquake that cracked SFP4 but the building damage looks like blast damage, and the likely culprit there is the nearby massive explosion in Unit 3 (recall that some, including Gundersen, say it was likely a “prompt criticality in SFP3″)

• Grampybone Grampybone

Exposed fuel at reactor 4 could cause additional fission events. The results of Uranium fission are clear from the alpha emitters surfacing across Japan. The reactor needs to be sealed up and entombed. If it is left open it still runs the risk of losing water and releasing radiations again. The whole thing plant needs to be entombed. If TEPCO had a plan it would concrete the cores that have burned out of containment and concrete the entire spent fuel pools. The thing that is bothering me here is that there has been no information regarding reactors 5&6 which could be in melt down. No information means TEPCO has a motive to hide the situation at these reactors. Fuel pool 4 needs to be controlled in order to prevent another explosion from spent fuel being exposed to the air. Even if their “decontamination” efforts are in vain they can at least do more to control the events at the spent fuel pools.

• Clocka

The journalist should fear a surprise visit from the yakuza soon.

Wait, since he went so close to that spent fuel pool, it won’t make too much difference now.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Good to see there is any discussion at least now in Japanese media.

Although I wished the female presenter would stop nodding, smiling and laughing.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Ah, and did you notice the steel poles underneath the pool at 1:10 – 1:20 which are supposed to support the pool?
    I remember Tepcoclowns announcing to clad those poles with concrete for added stability and Protection against saltwater – but those in the video look still quite thin and “naked” to me.

• NoVictimNoFraudNoCrime

Good grief! I had to turn off the captions. They may have been English words but they were gibberish. No help at all. Who knows if the “10 ambulances” part really meant that?

• batista

For the Unit Four explosion of the spent fuel pool – here’s a theory.
    I don’t know if all this is true. I am sceptic on the powers of HAARP…
    And he claims many other NPPS blew up elsewhere. I think the germans might have retreated from nuclear cause they really understood the position is untenable. As usual whenever they retreat.

• batista

Oh and a happy Berlin Wall Fall day to all the Germans!

• matina matina

read this tweets back then but did not mention them as i had no links/data to verify credibility

死NR#4 I reported several weeks ago maybe plutonium explosion, Tom Burnett last night reported fuel pool fell down, blue light explosion.
    27 Jul

Tom Burnett last night reported Daini NR#3&4 may have melted down. Daichi NR5&6 are to be restarted as I reported several weeks ago.
    27 Jul

zirconium catalysis underground, triggering mini-fission events. Terra incognita, unexplored frontier of physics, the joker in the deck.
    29 Jul

Dante Kan #TEPCO #Fukushima daily mind puzzler capture radioactive air NR#1&2 NR3 to RAdioactive & 死NR#4 has moved to verboten catagory
    29 Jul

• Ron

That journalist is a true hero.

• staycalm

OK I shouldn’t laugh. I know I shouldn’t, but I can only assume people abandoned due to the incomprehensibility of the translation and missed some truly epic inadvertent (extremely so) humour. Frankly right now I need the laugh, cos the news isn’t funny or especially surprising.