VICE News, Aug. 20, 2014: No One Wants You to Know How Bad Fukushima Might Still Be [...] it’s hard to give TEPCO the benefit of the doubt when misinformation, lying, and a sub-par approach to safety culture have been central to this quagmire […] This is merely the abridged account of TEPCO’s backpedalling and PR shortfalls. It begs many questions, but the most perplexing one is: Why? Why has a crisis that is gaining traction as the worst case of nuclear pollution in history—worse, emission-wise, than Hiroshima, Nagasaki, or Chernobyl—being smothered with internal censorship? […] if it’s not money that lies beneath these multi-faceted attempts at obscuring information about Fukushima, it’s the fear of mass hysteria.
Speech by Dr. Andrew S. Kanter, MD*, Assistant Professor at Columbia University, *Due to Dr. Kanter’s illness, Physicians for Social Responsibility Board Member Alfred Meyer presented his speech, published by Cinema Forum Fukushima on July 30, 2014 (at 2:45 in): “We soon learned that [the Fukushima disaster] would have global implications. [...] One thing is clear, this is a global contamination of wide swaths of the biosphere, creating sacrifice zones where people cannot live for hundreds or thousands of years.”
Published: August 21st, 2014 at 11:24 am ET
- Professor: Fukushima disaster is the worst case of nuclear contamination in history — It’s a crisis for all humanity — Building up to something much worse? (VIDEO) October 4, 2013
- National Geographic: Fukushima considered world’s worst nuclear accident — Physician: Fukushima remains a “global health concern” — Kaku: “It’s so bad, they don’t even have a picture of melted core… the agony is unending” (VIDEO) April 14, 2014
- “Fukushima, the world’s permanent headache” — Gundersen: It will be bleeding into Pacific for next 100 years — ABC: “Greatest nuclear contamination of the ocean in history… it can’t be quantified… it’s a global issue” (AUDIO) June 10, 2014
- Japan Professors: Worst case scenario at Fukushima, nuclear rods melted and went through reactor floors; Contamination is impacting rest of world; Likely that entire Pacific will be affected — Farmer: Gov’t doesn’t have any idea about status of fuel (VIDEO) October 13, 2013
- Magazine: ‘Fukushima catastrophe changed the world’; Worst nuclear accident in history, like two Chernobyls; ‘Poisoned entire landscapes for centuries’ — Study: Fukushima ‘overwhelms’ the peak radioactivity from nuclear bomb testing in ice core samples; ‘Affected the global environment’ February 13, 2015