Title: Kudankulam stand-off: Women protesters allege cops targeted them
Source: NDTV via Flash News Today
Date: Sep 11th, 2012
NOTE: This report has been removed by NDTV (Link: http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/kudankulam-nuclear-plant-stand-off-women-protesters-slam-cops-265612). The first paragraph is still available on their website, here’s a screenshot:
Here are some excerpts from NDTV’s report:
Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tamil Nadu, the situation continues to be tense in coastal districts of the state. Despite assurance from Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, close to 10,000 demonstrators are unwilling to end their protest and are demanding closure of the plant. Several women protesters have condemned the police’s handling of Monday’s protests.
Here are the latest developments in this story:
1) At the Ground Zero of the protests in Indinthakarai, around 10,000 protesters, mostly women and children, spent the night in the open. They are on a two-day hunger strike demanding a halt to the loading of fuel in the reactor.
2) Women protesters allege that the police targeted women and children during the clashes on Monday. “Fully knowing that we have children along, police fired tear gas at us. Had I come a minute late, my two children would have died. Police are supposed to protect us. They are instead indulging in atrocity. Where do we go?” an angry villager told NDTV last night.
7) The protesters remain unconvinced by assurances from experts and the government about security measures. Activists have cited the Fukushima disaster in Japan, triggered by a tsunami last year, to draw parallels about the dangers of a nuclear plant in this coastal part of India.
Published: September 11th, 2012 at 12:19 pm ET
- Watch: Police shoot protestor outside nuclear plant — Others jump into sea to avoid tear gas (VIDEO) September 10, 2012
- Mass arrests at nuclear protest in India — ‘Immediate steps’ being taken to start reactors March 21, 2012
- Report: Containers of dead babies and body parts found at radioactive waste site — “Even their amputated limbs and fetuses posed a danger to others” January 26, 2012
- Reuters: Gas causing strong odor over Paris and large areas in western France — Migraines, irritations, nausea near plant — Some in Paris report “very strong odor of diesel fuel” January 22, 2013
- Report of huge explosion at nuclear facility in Iran — Major news networks dismiss claim January 27, 2013