Published: October 8th, 2011 at 2:44 pm ET

SOURCE: News: Tokyo tap water in crisis, Fukushima Diary by Mochizuki, October 8, 2011

[...] Okutama area, where Tokyo tap water comes is as dangerous as “contaminated area” in Chernobyl.

According to the data above, 100,000 ~ 300,000 Bq/kg was measured in Okutama area. [...]

“It is not harmful in the short term, but we will make sure to keep monitoring” -Tokyo Health Service Bureau

See also: Japan Times: Cesium levels spiking with unusually high amount of fallout in Okutama, Tokyo up 300,000 Bq/m² — Home to World\’s largest drinking water reservoir of its kind, built to supply Tokyo

h/t xdrfox
1910_100601

Published: October 8th, 2011 at 2:44 pm ET

1. Japan Times: Cesium levels spiking with unusually high amount of fallout in Okutama, Tokyo up to 300,000 Bq/m² — Home to World’s largest drinking water reservoir of its kind, built to supply Tokyo October 9, 2011
  2. Japan Prime Minister’s Fiction vs. Fact: Fukushima contamination has never done any damage to Tokyo; Radioactive water at plant was “blocked” — Study: Tokyo was contaminated — Experts: Radioactive water is constantly flowing out to sea and almost impossible to stop September 8, 2013
  3. Gundersen: Gov’t dumping radioactive material into Tokyo Bay — Contaminated seaweed found in area (VIDEO) December 22, 2011
  4. Yomiuri: Local gov’t near Tokyo unable to handle “such a high level of radiation” — Cesium clouds spread over many areas of capital — 57 µSv/hr area yet to be decontaminated October 27, 2011
  5. Reports of radioactive black cyanobacteria spreading to Tokyo area (PHOTOS) April 2, 2012

90 comments to Report: Tokyo tap water in crisis? Comes from area that is radioactive as Chernobyl’s ‘contaminated areas’ — 100,000-300,000 Bq/kg

• Ken31ONCA

Free flouride for tokoyo! Next they will have some dentists come out and say it helps the teeth, I hope the people are made aware and able to get out of there or stop using groundwater

• Daruma

there is a little error on the report, this is not Bq/kg but per square meter. Still it’s really high and really worrying…

• nohobear nohobear

The kettle of lies cooked up by TEPCO and the government is coming to a full boil, and the lid is about to blow.

Evacuation of Tokyo in 3, 2, 1….

• Sickputer

Bottled water soon to be as valuable as bottles of wine. They can live with food contaminated because of the denial factor, but known dangerous values in public water supplies is a different matter. It’s not just drinking it that is the only danger… Bathing and washing becomes hazardous.

This is the beginning of what I call the Tokyo Flight. People with the financial means will leave soon.

• Anthony Anthony

Truly. And it doesn’t matter really where they go – they need to leave the hotspot that their ENTIRE ISLAND COUNTRY now is. They can always return later when and if things improve. To just sit there is akin to suicide. Claiming situational ignorance covers only so much. Anyone can Google Fukushima and get up to speed about the gravity of the crisis at hand within minutes. Before 311 Japan was high on my bucket list of places to see before I die. Now I wouldn’t be caught dead there. I wouldn’t accept a free all expenses paid trip there either.

• ocifferdave

Would you accept a trip to Japan to help relocate children to other countries?

• ocifferdave

If you had kids to come back to and/or a pregnant wife, would you come back to them if you had high internal radiation after being in Japan? How would you get rid of this high level of strontium, cesium, etc?

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

Depends on where you had to go. Kagoshima, yes, down town Fukushima, no.

• Anthony Anthony

No and I’d imagine no one would come here to help me or my kids if things were reversed.

They need to help themselves. That probably starts with them recognizing and admitting there is a problem. I can’t imagine investing my energies trying to help people who don’t want my help.

• ocifferdave,
          It’s just me, and my cat me me, (Chinese for kitty kitty)I can get one of my grown children to care for !
          I’d take the chance, just try to use some precautions, but I would go to help !
          Eat a lot of Ramen nodles and bottled water !

: )

• arclight arclight

better than living with contamination at those levels (and a slightly psychotic leadership)…ive got a spare room and care…contamination can be cleaned from the body given time and minimal exposure… this is proven with children from belarus who have cesium holidays to minimise risk…though i personaly think they should be moved too!!
            gets off high horse!!
            peace

• I have a spare room too, either way I can help !
          Send the children and a parent, or 1 and both parents, grandparent, whomever !

• James Tekton James Tekton

Good morning distinguished brothers and sisters. Big giant supportive appreciation pats on all your backs. Thank you all for being the best there is in this arena as far as leading edge info around this subject that will not go away in our lifetimes.

Truly, it is a blessings to be amongst you and to see all this excellent work happening by those who really care. The history books will look back on this site and know that the answers and supportive energy to heal this world crises and ourselves was here in abundance. Just like the radioactive garden we had this year…abundance of something besides the great veggies.

Here is the latest veggie check. Freshly harvested beets and carrots. Share it please.:

A new vid of a ten minute casual count on the u-tube channel is coming from our front open window because today is nice and sunny with mixed clouds.

We hear your hearts when you show the helplessness energy and see sad picture the material world is in. disheartening for sure but like granny used to say, “Honey, no matter how bad you got it, there is alwyas someone that has it worse that you.”

So look people at what we have here in the Durango, COLORADO area and consider that where you are may not be this bad. Count your assets compared to our situation.

What to do? Personally, I have resolved to consume it like it consumes me because life is still good in one of the hottest regions of the country…one day at a time.

• Right on James, can’t see it taste it or smell it. I ordered myself a Geiger counter but its taking a very long time to reach me. Living on the west coast of Canada here. Life is good. One day at a time. Whatever can be done won’t be done wallowing in gloom and self pity. God Bless.

• GreenBay

I am testing air and rain water in Richmond BC (West Coast of Canada) using COEKC Geiger Counter since July 2011. So far, none of my readings went higher then 0.20 microSv/h. I am not sure if GC is not sensitive enough or we were just lucky that there was not much rain so far…If anybody is testing radiation in Lower Mainland, we could compare results.
        Much love.

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi James Tekton

Sorry to see your crop is radiated. At this rate, we all will be eating more radiation than food.

What Japan/Tokyo will go through, expect the same things, the jet stream brings all this in.

It will effect all of us in some way, even the elites who had a hand in putting this here.

The maker of this earth can’t be happy at what has happened here. If they think they can hide in their caves/bunkers from his vengeance, they can’t.

Some get comfort in believing this will be in the history books, I get comfort in believing that in the end God will handle all of this, and he wins.

• ocifferdave

“The maker of this earth can’t be happy…”

I wonder if Fukuchernobylshima is one of the seals that is to be broken thus spilling a great calamity upon the earth. Certainly Fukushima is the greatest calamity I know of.

• The first one made the sea as that of a dead mans blood ! GOM

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi ocifferdave,

I don’t know enough to interpret the bible and even if I did, it would still be my own interpretation.

I don’t know for positive if that is one of the seals? I would never presume I know what God meant.

One thing I do believe is that:
          Being scared, I am pleasing the devil..
          However, If I keep my eye on the Lord, I please him..

• What it says is the first angel does this pouring out to a proportion of the sea’s after the first seal is broken !
            There can be many interpretation’s, Yes, But the theme is what is important to me, the maker has all authority !

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi xdrfox

I totally agree with you that the maker has all authority, and it’s definitely not the people who think they are in charge.

There are many interpretation’s and beliefs. We have been given free choice in what we personally believe.

As for me, I would never presume I know exactly what God meant in the coming future or his time line of things to come. Everything will be in God’s time.

Some people believe we are at the birth pains of things to come, or that we are in the last days. There are many views on this.

Even though this is an energy site and not a religious discussion site.
            With all this talk of preparing, being a Christian, I can’t help but say, there are many ways to prepare.

The “vials of the wrath” of God upon the earth.

• Steven Steven

“I get comfort in believing that in the end God will handle all of this, and he wins.”

As if He could ever lose :)

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

Well, we all gotta eat…..

• Are the sunflowers there in Durango also ?

• James Tekton James Tekton

Hello good xdrfox,

Yes, planted a whole lot of sunflowers this year. In the next video, I will show you what the readings are as I take a walk along the driveway and check some of the flowers.

Blessings and appreciation.

• Saws a lot of deformed sunflowers when I went there after you posted them, had you seen this deformities before years ?

People grow fields of them close to here (FLa.)and they are all perfect as I saw a few years ago, I took pictures of the fields, so beautiful !

• What is this counter reading of 644 in the carrots and beets refering to? Is this Bq, Roentgens, or something else?

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi AGreenRoad

I am thinking this is CPM??
      What I do see is, that he found radiation in his crops.

• fuckyoushima

it is the result of a 10 minute count.

60cpm aint that bad.

but yeah… its elevated.

• James Tekton James Tekton

AGR, WSP, and FYS,

Thank you for your support.

This is correct, it is a ten minute count and 64.4 CPM is just over the high end of what is considered to be normal.

To put this into perspective, normal background is said to be in between 5-60 CPM, or .040-.080 micro-sieverts. Sorry I did not include this info in the reply.

Take a look at my videos here and tell me what you think.:

• arclight arclight

it would have been interesting to do a check at ground level and one at 1 meter i think. and on the tarmac too..interesting video …keep up the good work!! check out the tile post on radwatch thread! lol

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi James Tekton,

No thanks here needed))) ….. I didn’t do anything special..

Thank You for making the videos and sharing your results with us.

I wish people all over the world who can do this.. would, informing the public.

If the government agency’s aren’t going to be forth coming with results, then we have no choice but to inform each other.

Great job, glad to see you are wearing gloves..Be Safe..

• Anthony Anthony

Casualties Mount in Japanese Radiation War

by Bob Nichols

(San Francisco) – Some 800 million people world wide are members of Facebook; that is larger than most countries, the United States included. Only China and India have a larger population.* Since a literate population is a hall mark of a nation’s power this makes Facebook a force to be reckoned with in the modern world.
    Today, October 7, 2011 is fully 211 days into the Darkness of a radioactive Japanese War without any “Booms” from nuclear bombs. We have, apparently, only had Hydrogen gas explosions and fires as 10,000 tons of lethal, radioactive reactor cores spread their filthy poison all over the earth.
    Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) warfare precautions and protective gear are required in many parts of Japan and are not available. That’s true even in Tokyo, a metropolitan area of some 30 Million people. As a result, the population is being sacrificed in place to save face for the Japanese politicians and GE.
    All of this continuing madness and descent into the Stone Age is all a gift from the General Electric Corporation and their slavishly obedient President Obama and the obliging United States government.
    Here’s a list today of the Facebook Groups organized to understand and take effective action to end the continuing extinction level event reactor meltdowns and explosions at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, Japan.

• Anthony Anthony

OH LOVELY: Residents Near Fukushima Are Pissing Radioactive Urine
    by Bob Nichols

(San Francisco) – Business Insider’s Joe Weisenthal reported Jun 26, 2011:
    “Newsflash: The radioactive crisis near Fukushima isn’t getting any better.
    This has been something we discussed in the last few weeks, but now there are some new disturbing details.
    From Japan Times:
    More than 3 millisieverts of radiation has been measured in the urine of 15 Fukushima residents of the village of Iitate and the town of Kawamata, confirming internal radiation exposure, it was learned Sunday.
    Both are about 30 to 40 km from the Fukushima No. 1 power plant, which has been releasing radioactive material into the environment since the week of March 11, when the quake and tsunami caused core meltdowns.”

• Anthony Anthony

*** Radioactive cesium was found both times in each resident.

Radioactive iodine was logged as high as 3.2 millisieverts in six people in the first survey, but none was found in the second survey.

The data indicate accumulated external exposure was between 4.9 and 13.5 millisieverts, putting the grand total between 4.9 to 14.2 millisieverts over about two months, they said.

“The figures did not exceed the maximum of 20 millisieverts a year, but we want residents to use these results to make decisions (to move),” said Kamada.****

• Anthony,

In 1968 the United States declared Bikini habitable and started bringing a small group of Bikinians back to their homes in the early 1970s as a test. In 1978, however, the islanders were removed again when strontium-90 in their bodies reached dangerous levels after a French team of scientists did additional tests on the island.[10] It was not uncommon for women to experience faulty pregnancies, miscarriages, stillbirths and damage to their offspring as a result of the nuclear testing on Bikini.

IAEA estimated that living in the atoll and consuming local food will exceed 15 mSv/year.[17]

The dose received from background radiation on the island was found to be between 2.4 mSv/year and 4.5 mSv/year (the lower rate is the same as natural background radiation) assuming that a diet of imported foods was available.[18] But it was because of these food risks that the group eventually did not recommend fully resettling the island.

• Anthony Anthony

Fukushima Equals 3,000 Billion Lethal Doses
    Dr Paolo Scampa, a widely know EU Physicist, single handedly popularized the easily understood Lethal Doses concept. “Lethal Doses” is a world wide, well understood idea that strips Physics bare and offers a brilliant, understandable explanation for all the physics gobbledygook Intelligence agencies and their respective governments use to disguise the brutal truths of the Fukushima Daiichi Disaster.

Fukushima from 21,000 ft TKY
    Three thousand billion (3,000,000,000,000) Lethal Doses of Radiation means there are 429 Lethal Doses chasing each and every one of us on the planet, to put it in a nutshell. This is up from about 70 Billion Lethal Doses March 23, 2011. It is getting worse everyday without any intervention by the US and the other nuclear powers.
    VeteransToday calls on the world’s nuclear powers to intervene sooner rather than later. It is up to the world’s only remaining Super Power, the United States, to get the Japan Reactor Disaster Intervention meeting officially underway.
    The Fukushima Kill
    The Fukushima Kill, already underway world wide, will certainly dwarf that of Chernobyl. All US Super Power President Obama’s delay does is increase the numbers of The Kill. That is a clear Choice. We call on President Obama to re-visit that Choice.
    Further, the Genetic and DNA changing aspects of the radioactivity now in the air, spreading worldwide within a year, will spawn a grotesque new assortment of radiation-degraded mutants; both human and of other life forms.

USS Nautilus in 1955 surfacing www nautilus571 Website US Navy (converted) (converted) (converted)
    Many of these creatures in the animal world will not survive long outside the womb, if carried to term. What’s more, future Human Genetic Mutants of ever-lower intelligence and greater, more grotesque physical deformities are the genetic legacy of Humanity forevermore. That is the new starting point for any rational and reality-based national or foreign policy.

• fuckyoushima

brace yourself.

we are almost at nine months.

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

I want to address some of you on this board. Those of you that think the situation in Fukushima is being let get out of hand on purpose, so that the world can be depopulated. If hundreds of tons of fuel, spent or otherwise burned up, it means it was simply converted into a form that could easily be spread on the wind. Vaporized, aerisolized, turned into smoke. It is all still there and has simply changed forms. As it circulates with the wind, everyone will face the same fate. Unless one moves to the moon, you will be in the same boat I and everyone else is in. There is NO and will be NO escape for anyone. Mud eaters, pill poppers, bunker dwellers included……

• I don’t think this is being done on purpose. I think that this is just simple mis-management and arrogance. Call it the Peter Principal if you want. The idiots in power have always polluted as a by-product to make money and there have always been a minority of scientists hippies and other do-gooders saying they shouldn’t but they have always gotten away with it. The planet and oceans have always been seen as infinitely large enough to process all our crap. But the silence from Obama and others is disturbing.

• StillJill StillJill

Dear God,….I pray for those Mothers and Fathers, Grandparents,…the list goes on and on,…when these babies do come,….which we all know they will. I also wonder what extra burden is going to be ‘placed’ on these parents? Will they be told to shut up? Will they be blamed in some way,…for not ‘thinking enough happy thoughts’? The cruelty,….after the fact. What is the saying,…”It’s not the CRIME that hurt the most,…it was THE COVER-UP”! Be with THEM please Father God,…amen.

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

This stuff will accumulate where it falls. Large areas of farm land worldwide will be so poluted no food grown on it would be suitable for any animal consuption. All fresh water lakes, rivers, in-lans seas, oceans, everything will become poisoned. If it is small enough to blow away as smoke, it will stay suspended in water and top soil for millions of years. The PTB are as vulnerable as everyone else to the effects of this mess. Take certain solace that everyones goose is cooked this time……

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

Have another beer, smoke another bud, make love to your wife again, push your kid on that swing a few more times. Whatever makes you happy, DO IT.

• I’m not sure about that advice. Sure enjoy life while its here but if there is a crisis coming I for one want to stay clear headed. I’m not against beer, bud or even the so called hard drugs but that stuff is for when the work is done or for when all hope is gone. We’re not there yet. We don’t know how bad this is going to be. I don’t know what level of radiation I am being exposed to. Most likely elevated here on west coast but what does that mean? A shortened life? By how much? I plan on keeping my head clear and my mind alert. God Bless

• Whoopie Whoopie

New to Tweeting I have trouble getting SoNuke Nuclear’s tweets (AND others). It always comes up with “AdF.ly : shorten urls and earn money”
    Are these Tweeters really trying to make money? I never get the LINK they’re talking about. I tweeted SoNuke asking what the deal was, never got a response. ANYBODY KNOW WTH is going on? Why don’t they just use TINYURL? Thanks in advance.

• Nuclear crisis under control …
    Nuclear power’s face looking rested

SINGAPORE — The catastrophic accident at Japan’s Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant earlier this year undermined confidence in, and support for, nuclear power around the world. The plant north of Tokyo on the Pacific coast was hit by a series of explosions, fires and serious radiation leaks after a massive earthquake and the monster tsunami waves it generated cut outside power to the plant, causing reactor fuel rods to heat up dangerously.

It took several months to bring the nuclear crisis under control. Countries with the world’s 440 commercial reactors in …

“It took several months to bring the nuclear crisis under control.”

WHAT CONTROL ?????

• Whoopie Whoopie

WTF?!?!? Oh my god. They are continuing to BS everyone…EXCEPT US. :(

• Sickputer

How about that article title by Richardson:

Nuclear power’s face looking rested

I would think as bad news escalates and the contaminated Tokyo water supply news today is HUGE news…then the next article may well be written:

Nuclear power’s face looking nervous

Chalk it up to Clinton, Obama and their corporate gangsters still trying to keep their trillion-dollar masters happy. Business as usual between two broke countries.

Obama especially is so worried on whether he can keep his name out of the blame game when the shit hits the fan concerning Japan’s nuclear death.

Even bleary-eyed suburbanites can understand panic (“I forgot my damn credit card!”) and when they see or hear about the Tokyo Flight, then Obama has got some explaining to do. That’s a job for masters of spin control and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Anthony Anthony

The Worst Nuclear Disasters
    As fears of a meltdown at the earthquake and tsunami-damaged Fukushima nuclear plant persist, TIME takes a look at some of the more frightening nuclear mishaps of the past

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1887705,00.html#ixzz1aEyyO5hh

• Anthony Anthony

Perhaps the Worst, Not the First
    Monday, May 12, 1986

The estimated 375 commercial nuclear power plants in operation around the world have now built up more than 3,800 years of experience. But since the first one went on-line at Obninsk in the Soviet Union in 1954, there has always been the fear of an accident. The vast majority of malfunctions pose no serious health threat, yet some problems have required emergency measures. A worldwide count of accidents and casualties at nuclear facilities cannot be made with precision because the Soviet Union, a major user of nuclear power, does not divulge information about such problems until they become impossible to disregard or deny. Some of the most serious reported nuclear mishaps:

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,961337,00.html#ixzz1aF1A8Sti

• Anthony Anthony

EXPOSURE
    The Symptoms
    We absorb radiation every day, but how much is too much?
    [The following text appears within a chart. Please see hardcopy or PDF for actual chart.]
    0 mSv
    HEALTH EFFECTS
    Up to 6.2 mSv
    This yearly level of radiation exposure can cause relatively benign changes in blood chemistry
    Up to 30 mSv
    Symptoms are still limited to changes in the blood
    250 mSv
    Nausea, fatigue and vomiting can start within hours of exposure at this level
    10,000 mSv
    Hair loss, hemorrhage and internal bleeding could develop over two months, followed by death
    WHO’S EXPOSED
    Average U.S. adult
    Daily sources of exposure include cosmic rays and minerals as well as medical X-rays
    Chernobyl residents
    Many of the evacuees were exposed to low levels of radiation
    Emergency workers at Fukushima
    Such levels are close to those allowed for nuclear-plant workers over an entire year
    Measured in millisieverts, a common unit of radiation dosing
    300 mSv
    10,000 mSv
    PEOPLE AT RISK
    Assessing The Threat

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2061203,00.html#ixzz1aF7Qccal

• xstatic

page 2 says” The real victims are likelier to be rescue workers or emergency personnel who have struggled to contain the damage to the broken reactors.”

hahahahaha
    I know this is from April 4th, but now everyone will be affected by this in 1 way or 429 ways.
    Partying like it 1999!

• kintaman kintaman

I was planning to retire in Japan as it is my ancestral home land and I lived there as a child. I moved there over a decade ago for my career and felt so at one with life back in Japan. Despite the long hours at work and hot summers it was a paradise.

But on 3-11 everything changed. The earthquake, for starters, what beyond anything I had experienced and it was a serious shock. I was in Tokyo and the moment it was happening the first things I thought of was the nuclear power plants and Mount Fuji. My coworkers laughed at me as we stood and watched our office tower sway back and forth from the after shocks. After several minutes their laughter turned to nervous laughter and then silence.

Sure enough, I was saw the news the next day and felt I knew that the sh*t was hitting the fan with Fukushima Daiichi.

I then told my wife that we had to evac the family from Tokyo as the air, food and water were going to be a serious problem. After evacuating to the far south we came back to close up loose ends for two days and then left Japan altogether.

I am still, 7 months later, in a state of shock and hoping that I will wake up and find that it was all a bad dream. The events that have led us to where we are are simply unbelievable. How Japan, after being nuked twice, could accept nuclear power and then build the reactors in such unsafe places and then not properly maintain them or report safety violations is beyond comprehension. Then after the disaster, how the government, TEPCO and the media can all lie the public (no immediate danger to human health bullsh*t) and willingly sell contaminated food to the public.

Can someone please somehow make this ALL stop and go back to how it was? This, in my eyes, is the end of Japan as it was….forever. It is all happening in slow motion and unnoticed to many but the writing is on the walling. This is really it. There is no decontamination that can be done to revert Japan to what it once was. There is no solution to bring the melted fuel from the reactors and the spent fuel pools back under control. It is all beyond control and beyond repair. Done.

May I then add, finally, that if Japan is finished you will have to understand that the economic fallout will set off a domino effect that will bring the rest of the world to the brink.

• Sickputer

I am so sorry for your loss of your homeland. You made the right decision and quickly for your family. I would do the same if one of the nuclear plants in Texas had a similar meltdown. My family would be on the road within hours never to come back.

I don’t quite see that the economic fallout will be as you think. I did initially, but now with companies like Nissan (plant in Brazil) and others scrambling to make plans for the new “Japan” outside Japan I think perhaps the economic loss may be less for some industries. China is the superpower now for money and Germany also in Europe.

Japan like the US is a dying country financially…hanging in there only because of the vast wealth built up in the glory days of 1950-1980. Both countries have a great ways to fall because of that built-up wealth, but Japan has been dealt a sudden rude blow to instant insolvency beyond any repair. Does anyone think many foreign investors would invest in land or a business in Japan now? Would any rancher in Texas try to buy livestock from Japan now? How long before seafood from Japan is totally blacklisted by the world? Very soon I think.

There may be money invested in relocation and travel services, but not for housing, agriculture, food industries….they are all now soon to be dying industries.

When your land and natural resources are worthless…nay worse than that…they are deadly….then there is no hope for any kind of future economy other than a mutant Mad Max population. This vision won’t happen this month or next month, but with no end in sight for the continuing poison from Daiichi it will come to pass.

You are a pragmatist to see there is no hope of decontamination. Others living in Japan…maybe millions…know it, but fear expressing that terrible realization that Japan is finished. They don’t have enough science background to understand that home has been destroyed beyond repair. And for what? For sheer greed.

• westcoastgirl westcoastgirl

Thank you for sharing all of this, kintaman.

I have never been to Japan, but last night I was at a friend’s house who has been there many times. His house is filled with beautiful Japanese artifacts and designs. He has a Japanese stone garden that is amazing.

There is something really special about the Japanese gift of aesthetics,; there is nothing like it in the world. I looked at it all with sadness, knowing that what is a beautiful culture is being destroyed, and will never be the same again.

It is beyond tragic….

• arclight arclight

sorry for your families hardship kintaman
        the nuclear industry has done you and yours real harm, low dose or not!! i am glad you have relocated especially for your childrens safety and future well being!! i am a pessimist and think that japan will have a future if the situation begins to be managed properly… japan needs a comprehensive ground testing campaign like norway had after chernobyl….plume data from the coriums need to be released to the public and tracked, with a follow up ground assessment and soil etc samples where hotspots are found!! tepco and the government should have done this instead of listening to the word “MITIGATION” from the 101 dodgy lawyers from the start…but a thourough look at contamination in the mountains might show where the contamination is likely to go and collect!!…..

(shakes head :( )

peace light and love to you and yours kintaman

• Sorry for our loss of a beautiful place on earth, yes we will see much more loss….

• Au Au

I am sorry for your many losses. I am glad you and yours were able to relocate.

• CB CB

I’m interested in how this will be down played. The authorities have had 8 moths to plan for this. 8 months of lies, deception, and planning the fate of millions. Instead of helping those who they still can, the authorities have turned their backs, grouping together, and deceived the people whom there sworn to help. Disgracefully, disgusting, and inhuman. Everyone has had a death sentence delt to them, without there knowledge. Is it a matter of national security, or piss poor leadership?

• Sickputer

CB sez: “I’m interested in how this will be down played….Is it a matter of national security, or piss poor leadership?”

SP: Yes and yes. Also add in corporations more powerful than the government and those businesses are the ones who really make the top level policy decisions. They make decisions through their puppets in the best interest of their companies, not in the best interests of the public.

Their puppets have no moral compass because they are rewarded with huge bribes. Kind of reminds me of the narco state of affairs in Mexico.

• Cindy

It seems Japan may be raising the limit for radioactive exposure to regular people, 1,000 times !!

Check this out !!

• Grampybone Grampybone

Water contamination is a sure sign that people who consume it will get poisoned and show symptoms. Now we wait and pray. The worst part of all this waiting is that children will be the first to die. Radiation will kill those who are elderly and very young first. The nature of water concentrations will be felt by people who have no way of filtering or ability to afford clean sources meaning the poor will die first with the homeless. The key information has not been released yet. We need to know the counts per minute from the water. We also need to know where the water supplies are feeding which areas of town.

Spirits be tellin me da water is filled with death

• uhoh

Radiation readings from earlier in the week, Thurs Oct 6th, northwestern PA. All readings were taken with a Radalert100 and are 10 minute averages. It was sealed in a ziplock bag to protect against contamination, moisture, dirt etc.

Background reading in basement: 16.1 cpm

Russet potatoes picked from the garden this week being stored in basement: 15.2cpm

Red potatoes picked frm garden this week, stored in basement: 12.4 cpm

Acorn squash harvested this week, stored in basement: 13 cpm

Background reading in the dining room: 12.4 cpm

Beefstake and Amish paste tomatoes on the dining room table, harvested this week: 13.5 cpm

Background reading in the kitchen: 13.9 cpm

Readings from common food items taken while they’re sitting on the kitchen counter. 1st, a national brand of organic milk purchased at the grocery store: 13.8 cpm

A national brand of sea salt purchased at grocery store this week. It says its harvested from the Pacific Ocean. 11.7 cpm

With the Radalert on top of a carton of eggs from a local farmer: 11.1 cpm

Some unusual things about the readings. I’ve had produce test lower than background once in awhile but this is the 1st time the majority of what I tested showed lower than background. I interpret it to mean I just happened to catch background at a higher level than what its normally showing. Lately most of my indoor background readings are 11-13 cpm. Regardless, produce grown in the garden here is showing little contamination. For now …… I expect this to change as time goes on.

Results also indicate its still possible to get relatively uncontaminated food (radiation-wise that is) from the US food chain. Contamination is being deposited in “hot spots”, not in a uniform manner. If you didn’t have the money to stock up or were slow to do so, there’s still time left to store supplies. Anything purchased today is likely to be less contaminated then what you buy tomorrow.

• westcoastgirl westcoastgirl

Is it possible for you to convert your numbers into mcSV per hour? I am not sure how cpms measure in comparison.

I am wondering if your readings are normal or high.

• uhoh

Hey westcoast — I’m new to this. I did a little research on conversion and it doesn’t look to be a simple thing. If someone else can supply a formula I’d be willing to try though.

When the Radalert is in “timer” mode it will only do cpms so I think thats the standard way to take a timed measurement. I think my readings are on the low side of average. It’s my understanding that James in Colorado is getting over 60 cpms on the food from his garden. It was either him or someone responding to him that mentioned 60 cpms as being the point you would want to reconsider eating the food. I’m unsure of their source though. But that’s a good question if anyone can answer: At what point measured in cpms should we decide the food is to contaminated to eat?

I did switch my counter over to mcSV/hr and try to take some duplicate readings to answer your question. The computer room was 12.5 cpm. It registers between .083 to .165 mcSV/hr with the Radalert switched to that mode. A glass of well water registering 10.9 cpm read at .051 to .103 mcSV/hr. Hope that helps. What are your readings like?

• Au Au

Hi uhoh, It would be great if you could also post your readings on the thread, “Post Your Radiation Monitoring Date Here.” I must live in a hot spot. I am not so far from you and we are getting more than double CPM. I think I need to go check other places around town, etc.

• uhoh

Radiation readings from northwest Pennsylvania today, Sun Oct 9th, taken with a Radalert 100 while its sealed in a ziplock bag. All readings are 10 min averages:

Outdoors, with Radalert lying on back lawn: 15.1 cpm

Indoor background reading: 12.4 cpm
    A plastic glass full of well water: 10.9 cpm

The well water has been charcoal filtered before it enters the taps. The soil here also has a very high clay content – not sure if that hurts or helps. The past 5 or 6 days its been warm and sunny, no rain.

• WindorSolarPlease

Quote:
    Tokyo tap water in crisis

We should learn from this. Since this disaster can’t be stopped, we all will be in crisis.

Now is the time they should be installing special filters, for example: charcoal, zeolite filters, and changing them out at least two times a year or more. Also, with no extra increase cost to the public.

The water coming out our faucets should be as clean as possible. It doesn’t make sense to pay for contaminated water that is/will be coming out of our faucets.

Time they should prepare for the public health care, dentists, eye doctors, med’s, and any other care that is needed.
    No one should be denied care.

The majority of health care and all other changes should be “Paid by the Nuclear Corporations.”
    They have Endangered all Our Health.

The people who are sick that can’t work, should be helped, and not loose any thing they already have. Those who need help with their finances or whatever they need should be able to receive it.

Our food supply that the corporations will be selling..Time to figure out how to do better inspections, new ways of planting, new ways to take care of cattle, so they are less contaminated. Time to get organized.

Housing: Ways to help the public to redo their homes, and for those who can’t afford it, they should receive help.

They have changed our world, our lives. It’s time they prepare to help the public go through this.

Unfortunately, I do not see them doing the right thing. They won’t even admit there is a problem, or give us the results of the testing’s.

People are already mad at Wall Street, wait until the people realize what the Nuclear Corporations have done to their environment, and that they have not stepped up to the plate to get the public through this coming disaster.

• VanneV anne

As soon as it was raining hard in Denver there were two missing radiation readings on